- what would you do?

what would you do?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

what would you do?

Postby ccs » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:09 am

Hey everyone , something happened tonight first just let me say that I am resting on my laurels, :oops: I dont have a sponser at this time and havent for awhile now ,I havent been to a meeting in a very long time I was going to church alot I want to grow spiritualy , although I`ve been slacking on that as well I am not really intouch with any of my A.A.buddies that much anymore (I dont suggest this AT ALL! to anyone)
this is just my story

so a few months ago this girl I know from meetings moves in the apt right next to mine !! I know her so we talk whenever we see eachother she is going thru a rough spot in her life right now a breakup wich is why she lives next to me now they used to live a cross the street and the other one still does so any way shes been my neighbor for some time now

she is also recovering from a severe head injury a few yrs ago so shes on alot of meds plus her eyes arent so great due to the injury
she also knows my story we talk a lot

so tonight I`m at the laundry down the street its in a little plaza and of course theres a bar in that plaza I normally stay in the laundrymatt whille I`m doing my clothes but tonight I went outside and sat in my car for a few minutes to text my grandaughter I look up and who do I see come out of the bar with some others to look at someones bike and then go back in ?
my Neighbor /A.A. buddy I didnt know what to do I was so scared for her and I wanted to do something I was freakin like should I go in and get her or just mind my buissiness I dont THINK I was worried about me drinking if I went in
but I did have a weird feeling so I tryed to call the two A.A women that I still do talk to occasionally and of course they didnt answer so I stewed on it a little more and I decided to go in and ask her if she was ok

I went in she was right by the door getting ready to pay I walked over tapped her on the shoulder and said hey you ok?!!!! I asked if she was ready to go could I drive her home she said yes so we went to the Laundry so I could fold and we talked I dont know if this is a twelve step call cause I never went on one before I dont even know if I had any Buisiness at all going in and checking on her

alll I know is that I felt compelled to go help her even though I didnt quite know what to say to her when I did I told her I dont know why I really came in there after her except I was concerned for her I said I dont know if God sent me for her sake or for mine maybe it was my wake up call there but for the GRACE of GOD go I ?

It smelled really bad in there I was in there for only less than one minute
she smelled too !!
all I could say to her was that I wanted to be the hand of A.A
we talked about the Big Book on the way home when we got here I suggested she go in get some food shower and sit quietly and talk to GOD go to a meeting tommorrow call her sponsor ( cause she has one!)
the one thing I wanted to know was did she Pray this mornin and ask GOD to help her stay sober today she said she did she said she called her sponsor she said she called others but she said it didnt matter to her once she decided she was going to drink nothing else mattered
I prayed for her aswell but this is between her and GOD
and she says shes going to do the next right thing in the morning go to a meet.call her sponsor all I know is I tried to help her and I stayed sober
Amen it worked for me wow this is the most I`ve ever wrote at one time Guess I`m standin in for PAUL :lol: :lol: :lol: ( LUV YA PAUL you are in my prayers Cant wait for you to get back online)

LUV-2-ALL Cess
ccs

Postby Jools » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:45 am

Hey Cessie girl!

That was good of you to go and see if your neighbor was ok.

Hey everyone , something happened tonight first just let me say that I am resting on my laurels, Embarassed I dont have a sponser at this time and havent for awhile now ,I havent been to a meeting in a very long time I was going to church alot I want to grow spiritualy , although I`ve been slacking on that as well I am not really intouch with any of my A.A.buddies that much anymore (I dont suggest this AT ALL! to anyone)
this is just my story

First of all, I'm so glad you shared this. It reminded me of WHY I need meetings and to stay in touch with folks in AA, so thank you. You see, Cessie, I did exactly what you are doing right now. I stopped calling people in AA, stopped going to meetings and started going to church. Granted, I stayed dry for 9 yrs but it was miserable existence and eventually I drank.

I feel like AA is a gift from God for us alcoholics. I'm not a normal person, I have a disease called Alcoholism, a hopeless condition of mind and body and, if left untreated, I will surely drink. After this last bout of drinking, I know that, for me, to drink is to die.

This disease is cunning, baffling and powerful. It tells me that I don't "need" AA, or AA meetings. It told me that for a long time. Then one day, I went into a bar, ordered an O'douls and when the waitress told me they didn't have any, I ordered a beer. I didn't PLAN on drinking. Two and a half years later I was drinking so much vodka it was making me physically ill.

I go to AA now because it's my medicine. It's a small price for me to pay to be sober.

Thanx for letting me share.

With love and respect,
Julie
Jools

Postby Dallas » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:27 pm

Hey Cess,

If it was me -- I would consider it as my wake-up call to action and change.

Church is a wonderful thing. It's primary purpose is to get you to heaven. AA is a wonderful thing also. It's purpose is to keep you out of living hell. Both are spiritual programs.... and can be used for spiritual growth.

I was born in the church. My dad was a minister in Atlanta, until I was 5 years old... then he headed to Hollywood to become a millionaire... and I eventually became the Prodigal son.

It's a real long story... and I'm not Paul! :lol: So, I'll keep it short! (Miss you Paul!) :wink:

When I was newly sober I sought God's answer for me... "Do you want me in church? Or, AA? Or... both?"

It became clear to me... that He wanted me in AA helping alcoholics. That was His purpose for me. I believe that we are called to serve -- not called to be served.

You might ask yourself: "Where should I take the neighbor? To church or to an AA meeting?" and "Should I give her a Bible or a Big Book?"

Both of those books primary purpose is to establish a relationship with God. The Bible has been printed in hundreds of different languages. The Big Book has been printed in many languages also... but, regardless of the language that it is written in -- it's written in the language of the alcoholics heart... Perhaps, that was God's way to reach those in the highways & under the hedges! :lol:

Perhaps, you've done this and you know the answer. Have you sought out God's primary purpose for your life? What does He want you to do -- that you are uniquely experienced to do?

I wish the best for you and for your neighbor!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi Cessie! :D

My "Bible buddy" just went back out drinking! :cry:

She didn't think she needed the steps, a sponsor or meetings. She said AA was about getting a relationship with God, so why not just go to the source & skip the AA part?
(I had shared my story with her of how I was the "church lady" & could not stay sober, but of course that didn't apply to her!)

The problem for me, with that, is that I'm an alcoholic & when I am drinking (and even when I'm sober) there are defects & thoughts that are blocking me from God & a right relationship with Him. That peculiar mental twist, that blinding selfishness, those roller coaster emotions, & that ugly alcoholic ego comes sliding back in if I'm not applying the AA program of recovery every day.

I need the steps to remove these, a sponsor to bounce my thinking off of and meetings to give & receive experience, strength & hope.

I would consider the whole situation - her moving next to you & you running into her at the bar - a God-o-gram! Lucky you! You are paying attention! :D

Now, I would get moving back to where I began - AA. Maybe you can both go to meetings. This could be a blessing for two! :D

I look on working with others as being a "missionary" of sorts. I am especially experienced in & equipped for this field of alcoholism, and the harvest is rich! :wink:

Love you, Sun
sunlight

Postby GeoffS » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:48 pm

Well done for helping her out.

I'd echo what Dallas said. One of the millions of things I get from sponsoring others is that constant reminder of the daily nature of the program. If I am reminding others and suggesting they get to regular meetings, pray, call me and others, practice the principles in all their affairs, I cannot do that and not do it myself. Each element I mentioned there for me is a big part of my program. I need to do them all to varying degrees every day. Otherwise pretty soon I'd lose my sobriety. Shortly after that I'd drink again.

I just hope that you can have a little think about the overall program, and take some guidance from the HP as to where you are.

Also I hope that if I ever find myself in a bar, that I'd have a friend as kind and loving as you to come get me!
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:50 am

Geoffs wrote:One of the millions of things I get from sponsoring others is that constant reminder of the daily nature of the program. If I am reminding others and suggesting they get to regular meetings, pray, call me and others, practice the principles in all their affairs, I cannot do that and not do it myself. Each element I mentioned there for me is a big part of my program. I need to do them all to varying degrees every day. Otherwise pretty soon I'd lose my sobriety. Shortly after that I'd drink again.

Thanks Geoffs... that's precisely why I stay in AA, and do those things you mentioned.... besides -- I've grown to love it and wouldn't want to miss what I've got and the betters that I keep getting! I remember where I came from and how easily and deadly it would be for me to go back to where I was.

Every single thing in our Universe has a Higher Purpose.... even each one of us!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:45 am

You followed your heart, Cess, and that's important

Dallas wrote:When I was newly sober I sought God's answer for me... "Do you want me in church? Or, AA? Or... both?"

For some of us the answer is 'both'
Tim

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery