- are you practicing the principals?????

are you practicing the principals?????

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

are you practicing the principals?????

Postby ccs » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:51 am

this was sent to me from one of the oldtimers in my home group I`m not sure who Cindy is but how about it guys anyone up for the challenge
:) :) seems like a nice exercise for us old and new :)

Each week , use 1 principal and write how you are using it in your life.Second week use that principal as well as the next one and write how you are using that one .And so on so forth until you have finished writing about all the principals

The Twelve Principles of Alcoholics Anonymous by Cindy Weir
There are principles which correspond to each of the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. Part of Step 12 is that we "practice these principles in all our affairs". So, it's important to know what they are!

This is an effort to expand on the meaning of the Principles of the 12 Steps. These are the principles that are incorporated into our daily lives as 'we walk the walk'. Employing each of these behaviors will help to rebuild a life of increased self-esteem, self-confidence and recovery. Here are the action principles behind the Twelve Steps:

1. Honesty - It is vital to concede that we are alcoholics if we are to achieve sobriety. The odds are against us if we don't completely admit defeat and surrender. This takes being truthful with ourselves. The alcoholic cannot differentiate the true from the false. By learning to be honest with ourselves and admit an honest desire to be sober, we begin the spiritual program of action.

2. Hope - In order to engage in a course of alcoholism recovery, we must have hope of success. If there is no hope, why try? We have not been able to stay sober on our own, and the desperation we feel when we enter AA is overwhelming. A way to instill hope is to realize recovery is not a question of ability, but rather a desire to stay sober. Seeing others recover and live free of alcohol brings hope.

3. Faith - This decision step to go on with the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous asks that we step out on faith. It is only a matter of being willing to believe. Through the process of the 12 steps, that belief turns into faith. We carry this faith into the rest of the steps by being willing to believe. We must begin to have faith it will work.

4. Courage - This step is really about courage to honestly look at ourselves. Take a look at how our behavior has become warped to justify our continued behavior. We are here to take an honest assessment of ourselves. Looking at causes and conditions of our alcoholic behavior can be scary.

5. Integrity - If we have truly done a thorough job of introspection and evaluation of our assets and shortcomings, do we have the integrity to own up to it? It can be very difficult to be open and honest about our past behaviors. We begin to learn to do the right thing even though no one is watching.

6. Willingness - Now that we have accomplished an inventory of the good and not so good aspects of our character and behavior, are we willing to change them? All of them? The important part in this 12 step principle is the willingness to let go of old behaviors and rely on our Higher Power.

7. Humility - Here we move further into action. We have seen in step 5 where we have been selfish and self-centered. We practice being humble by realizing that we are not the center of the universe. We are all simply small parts of a huge whole. To be human is to make mistakes. Hopefully our journey has led us to the point where we can readily admit mistakes and accept ourselves for being imperfect. We are asking for help in forgiving ourselves.

8. Brotherly Love - While we are preparing a list of those to whom we owe amends, it becomes time for the "golden rule". It is important to begin treating others as we wish to be treated. We must also learn not to judge others, but accept them for who they are, not our vision of who they should be.

9. Discipline - We are continuing to remove the barriers that can block forward sober growth. We are getting ready to sweep our side of the street clean. We are learning to become accountable while making amends to those people we have harmed. We are practicing new behaviors by facing our wrongs, so it is important to have this self discipline. We are trying to try to correct our wrongs through action, not just words. We stay close to our sponsor during each amends to stay focused and disciplined.

10. Perseverance - We have entered the world of the Spirit and strive to grow in understanding and effectiveness. This takes practice and means we have to keep on keeping on. We are beginning to trudge the road of Happy Destiny, and this takes diligence.

11. Spiritual Awareness - Step 11 suggests that we continue to improve our conscious contact with our Higher Power, so we tap into that power through prayer and meditation. We become cognizant of the blessings we are receiving in our new life. We are learning to notice His handiwork in all aspects of our lives.

12. Service - Having experienced a psychic change that keeps us sober one day at a time, we are empowered to demonstrate the new principles by which we live. We remain in action in our daily life through example. We seek out and are available to help others in need. We continue to carry the message of hope and recovery. We strive to help wherever we can even in the smallest, simple tasks of life.

These are the action Principles of the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. As long as we use these principles each day, we receive the gift of sobriety.

" Pain is inevitable.Suffering is optional."
Zen Proverb
ccs

Postby tim-one » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:48 am

YEAH, baby! THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

Practice, practice, practice ...

I'm on step 33 now ... 10+11+12 ... the ones I haven't "done". The ones I'm doing.

They ain't "done". They're practiced.

Your challenge is perfect for me. Thanks Cessie.

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby angel143 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:56 am

How perfect for a newbie like me. I will practice these, hopefully daily. I will keep track. And if ok with all y'all, I would like to post it...then you can tell me if im on the right track, or if my thinkin need tweakin. Or even if im not graspin the meanin of the principles.

H
angel143

Postby tim-one » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:38 am

Therrrre ya go again, Heather. Soundin' like you have the right attitude.

Awrite ... what's wrong with you that you're so much smarter sooner than me? HUH? W'sup widdat? :lol:

What a concept! HHmmmmm ... check your thinking with experienced people ...... TIM :roll:

You newbies are KILLIN' ME! Out of the mouths of babes .... Love it!

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:44 am

Interesting! Thank you for sharing it.

As I was having morning coffee, sitting on my front porch, enjoying the sun and the beautiful day, I was doing a little reflecting on principles.

I was thinking over some of my current problems and asking myself "which principle or principles"... apply to my problem?

How did the problem start?

What is basic core principle at the root of the problem? What is the principle that led to the problem?

What is the basic core principle that must be practiced to begin applying other principles and actions to resolve the problem?

I observed that the principle would be: Responsible.

And, I began asking myself, which of the 12 Steps would be the principle of "Responsibility?"

Step 1: Aware. Acknowledge. Admit. Identify. Own it.

Step 2: Accountable. Take responsibility. Be responsible.

Step 4: Accountable. Own it. Identify it. Admit it.

Step 5: Accountable. Own it. Identify it. Admit it.

Step 4: Accountable. Own it. Identify it. Admit it.

Step 7: Accountable. Own it. Identify it. Admit it.

Step 8 & 9: Taking responsibility. Having the ability to respond. Own, admit, and change.

Step 10: Continue to be Accountable & Responsible. Own it. Identify it. Admit it. Live it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:15 pm

They ain't "done". They're practiced.

"Here are the steps we took" (past-tense, as in completed, as in "done"). page 58/59. BB :wink:

The original formula for the plan of recovery was (and still is) to take the Steps -- that -- "produce a spiritual awakening" (a psychic change, a personality change) and then to practice the principles, as they are identified in each Step -- by continuing to take the actions identified by the Step -- while we reach out to carry the message of hope and recovery to another alcoholic -- which continues the personality and psychic transformation, necessary to recover from alcoholism.

If we want what they have -- the spiritual awakening that will produce a psychic change -- personality change -- sufficient to recover from alcoholism -- and allow us to live comfortable -- and happy without alcohol -- we first want to be able to identify with "here are the Steps we took" -- and be able to personally describe our own experiences as "here are the Steps that I took."

Unless and until this happened... my will and desire and efforts towards sobriety would vaporize. Then, it would become liquid again as it condensed -- and as soom as the liquid was there -- "I'd drink it".

Took the Steps -- and then began to practice them.

I've watched as many would identify principles to practice and make attempts at practicing them -- (and while this is a wonderful and practical idea that produces great results for non-alcoholics) -- the alcoholics would return to drinking -- or never achieve the "personality transformation"... because they got lost in the pursuit of ideas and the understanding of principles -- and away from taking and practicing the instructional actions for the 12 Steps.

Take the Steps -- so you can "took the Steps" -- and by taking others through the Steps -- you will be constantly practicing the Steps (and actually re-taking them each time you "took" someone else through the 12 Steps.

This will keep you sober, sane, happy, joyous, free from bondage -- and you will not even have to "think" about it -- you will be "doing it".

Then, after you have done it, and continue doing it, your thinking will change. It will be placed on "higher ground"... and your thoughts and thinking can then be more productive and efficient towards the experience of enjoying the wonderful life of sobriety! (that has been produced as the result of "taking certain actions") :wink:

Dallas

Note: It is very helpful to me -- to be willing to let go of my old ideas -- of yesterdays ideas -- or sometimes even ideas I held a few moments ago -- to let those ideas go --absolutely... and be open-minded to new discoveries. :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby angel143 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:07 pm

Ok Tim, do you wanna know why im 'so much smarter than you, sooner'?

I will let you in on a little secret....dont tell anyone, I wouldnt want it to get out...see....you're a guy...im a girl....explanation enough?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IM ONLY KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!

I am only just trying to get onto and stay on the right path. I have so many things in my life I dont want to lose. Myself being one.

Hope you're all havin a grand day,

Love ya
H
angel143

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:10 pm

H :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby angel143 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:15 pm

didya find that funny Dallas?

:wink:
angel143