- Are you RECOVERD or Recovering?

Are you RECOVERD or Recovering?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby txsuperman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Thanks for your reply Paul. Good stuff. I totally agree that words, and what we say in meetings can kill people. It was the words I heard, or didn't hear, in AA meetings for many years that almost killed me. I went to meetings and sat there and listened to people complain and moan. I was that newcomer sitting in the back of the room sulking in hoplessness. Tradition 11 states, "Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion". After years of AA meetings I was not attracted to AA anymore. Then on that day that God blessed me with, I heard something I wanted. Something that attracted me. So for me this isn't a something I do half-ass. I'm tired of seeing people die. I'm tired of taking it easy and telling little Johnny it's ok if he "slips", "just keep coming back". It's not ok to me. I go to meetings to search out the still sick and suffering. When I find a prospect that is ready, and one that i'm convinced is ready, I tell them that they can RECOVER. I tell them that I gurantee permanent abstinece from alcohol. Those aren't my promises, they are promises that the big book gives us. I tell them that they can solve the drink problem. I don't want them to thank they can't recover. What is attractive about that? So I may ruffle a few feathers, but i'd like to see AA sucess rate go back to what it was. The solution is in the book and the simple plan it lays out for us. And if the book says we are RECOVERED, why is it a topic of controversy?
txsuperman

Postby txsuperman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:05 pm

Dallas,
Wow! Thinks for that last post. Good stuff man. I'm glad we are on the same team. Like I said before, i'm not CURED, but I have recovered. And when I go to meetings to search out a new comer, like the book says i want his attention to be drawn to me "SOMEONE WHO HAS RECOVERD". All i'm really saying is for me to keep what I got, I have to give it away. Like it says in the big book, "nothing will ensure immunity from drinking as much as intensive work with another alcoholic".

Thanks for letting me share. God bless you guys.
txsuperman

Postby ROBERT » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:44 pm

One thing for sure,no time for un-recovering with all this discussion going on :P
ROBERT

Postby tim-one » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:36 am

HAHAHahahaha ... riiiiiight, Robert.

No time for un-recovering being this busy.

Unless, as I've heard, you spend your time un-working the steps. :)

I don't care whatcha call it .... sober is guuuuud!

To me, just as "Booty is in the eye of the beerholder", attractive is in the blithered mind of the desperate. If we are all just like we are ... different ... someone will be attractive to someone who needs YOU.

And every AAer I've ever met is SO attractive. Just beautiful to me.

Thanks for being the same different, y'all.

Love,
Tim1

PS: How's that, Dallas? 8)
tim-one

Postby GeoffS » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:15 am

The first one-hundred (ahem) do state in the big book that they have recoverED. Recovered that is from the helpless/hopeless state of mind and body they found themselves in thanks to alcoholism.

To stay that way is contingent on the daily maintenance of spiritual fitness.
The best way they found (and anyone since) is the program of the 12 steps of AA, and the best way to continue learning more from that is to continue to attend meetings share and hear.

Whether you call this maintenance process continued recovering or maintaining a recovered position is just semantics. And really who cares?

If you are following the program, engaging the process and staying sober, call it whatever the hell you like...just do it.
GeoffS

Postby tim-one » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:38 am

Well said, Geoff.

If you are following the program, engaging the process and staying sober, call it whatever the hell you like...just do it.

"Ensign, set course for the Sobriety Nebula ... engage." "Aye aye, Captain Piccard."

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby DiggerinVA » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:39 pm

I found a article that describes AA, very well on this subject. GRESHAM'S LAW & ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS

It describes 3 ways to work the program. 1. A Strong cup of coffee" 2 A medium cup of coffee. And 3. A weak cup of coffee. I feel that it really hits the nail on the head. I would classify those who fit the first category as recovered. Well you can figure out the rest. I hope to get there. My Grand Mother did almost 40 years before she pasted away. She had what I want.
DiggerinVA

Postby tim-one » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 pm

I figure I've been REPOSESSED !

HALLELUJAH !!!!!

I mean REALLY !

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

?????????????????????????????

Postby drewi2009 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:54 am

Im no farther away from a drink than the next guy
a few 24 hrs here
the only thing between me and my next drink is my higher power :shock:
drewi2009

Postby tim-one » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Yep.

I'm just one brainfart away from a drink. And one drink away from hell again.

I take my AA Beano every day. Stop that ... I'm a gonner. We'll see about tomorrow.

But, then again, by my HP through AA I've stopped swallowing the stuff that bloats my brain up.

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery