- Are you RECOVERD or Recovering?

Are you RECOVERD or Recovering?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Tim » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Light, as we now know from modern physics, has characteristics of both a particle and a wave.

As an alcoholic, I am both recovered and recovering. I am becoming what I have become.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:13 pm

Hey Original Tim! Nice to hear from you! It's been a while.

I enjoyed your post. Nice message. Just like you to post one that I like! :wink:

I've missed you. I hope you'll have some time to share with us.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:37 am

What a wonderfully eclectic group, such fabulous posturing! Allows me the opportunity to venture into a better, deeper, level of open-mindedness,THANK YOU--ALL OF YOU...this site is awesome!!!!
ROBERT

Postby tim-one » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:33 am

I whole-heartedly agree, Robert.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will, not only defend your right to say it, but I'll kick your azz if you don't. :wink:

I come for the diversity. I sit in those chairs like a seat on the "broad highway" bus.

I love every stinkin'-sober one of ya. :cry: (sniffle) :)

Love,
Tim1

PS: I agree again (w'sup with bein' so dang agreeable this morning? :P ). Good to see you, Tim. Been gone too long, brother.
tim-one

Postby ROBERT » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:31 am

"TO THINE OWNSELF BE TRUE"----AND SUPPORTIVE, WHEN APPLICABLE!!! I am working on my NEED TO BE RIGHT- TOP DOG- #1- "ISSUE" ,we are all just different, but I've had this defect of mine way past it's usefulness,I see the folly in it!!!--it's roots are in my insecurities,so to lead the double life the book refers to I have to try and show the world how smart,and knowledgable I am. I want to be free of the NEED to be right---and I will be one day at a time. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY
ROBERT

Postby Danni » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:47 pm

For me, it's more important to be happy than it is to be right.

As I was reading this thread again I noticed something different in regards to the recovery recovered discussion. It was the "restored to sanity" mention. That makes sense. Physically sober and restored to sanity as a result of taking the 12 Steps doesn't imply cured that the controversy in the discussion that often causes a misunderstanding.

Sanity is a state-of-mind in the moment for alcoholics. The alcoholic mind is gone after Step 10, but we're cautioned to continue the work because the alcoholic mind can return without it.

If I stop using the tools the insanity returns and then I drink even though I was sober and recovered (restored to sanity as a result of the Steps).

Danni
Danni

Postby txsuperman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Danni wrote:If I stop using the tools the insanity returns and then I drink even though I was sober and recovered (restored to sanity as a result of the Steps).

Danni

That says it all. On pg 86 are the questions i have to ask myself everyday. Once the drink problem has been SOLVED, I MUST continue to do what the book says or i will drink again.
txsuperman

Postby ROBERT » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:52 pm

YEA...IT WORKS WHEN WE USE THE PROGRAM TOOLS DAILY--Once I surrendered and wanted a better quality of life...."If you have DECIDED you want what we have (SOBRIETY) and are willing to go to any lenght (work the steps,follow directions etc) to get it THEN you are ready to take certain steps. That line in How It Works is the most powerful line (In my opinion) in the book, until I was ready,really ready all my countless vain attemps were just that..IN VAIN,however once the decision was made by ME to do this thing, it all made sense and staying sober is not a chore, It's easier staying sober than getting sober, again my opinion...and my experience.
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:23 am

Robert wrote:It's easier staying sober than getting sober, again my opinion...and my experience.

Ditto, Robert! You're not alone with that opinion and experience. :wink:

And, staying sober is not difficult -- if I continue to do the things that have been keeping me sober!

Sometimes, it can become so easy -- that I'll be tempted to settle for sobriety as being my ultimate objective. Yet, sobriety, for me, is but the first step that is necessary to achieve any objective that's good for me.

I know that sobriety is a given for me. I have to do that. What about my desire of moving beyond sobriety -- to becoming more effective, useful, and understanding?

Big Book pg 82 wrote:We feel a man is unthinking when he says that sobriety is enough.

Big Book pg 84 wrote:We have entered the world of the Spirit. Our next function is to grow in understanding and effectiveness.

If I want my life to continue to get better and better and better -- I have to continue moving towards living beyond sobriety.

What I discovered was: I can move my life beyond sobriety by using the very same tools that I learned to use -- and must use -- to achieve and maintain my sobriety!

I simply take those tools to the next level.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:02 am

Right on Dallas---part of MY vain attempts was just not drinking--no tools,no program other than mine, so NO spiritual development--this always led me back to the bottle, and through those experiences, painful, demoralizing experiences I discovered my willfulness was not working except for the brief respite from drinking that I could willfully manage over and over,(THE JAY WALKER SYNDROME) so all these added up to the point of GO ON DRINKING TO THE BITTER END OR UES THE SPIRITUAL TOOLS TO LIVE BY--when I chose the latter (out of desperation) I discovered LIFE beyond mere sobriety-- that decison was an act of my will,used properly. Then and only then was I able, w/the help from my H.P. to connect the dots and discovered Happy-Joyus & Free.
ROBERT

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery