- What Happened?

What Happened?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

What Happened?

Postby Dallas » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:43 am

What Happened?

by Cliff B.

That question is being asked by a lot of alcoholics lately. What happened to our high success rate? 30 & 40 years ago, we were keeping 75% or more of the alcoholics who came to us for help. Today, we aren’t keeping even 5%. What happened?

What happened to that wonderful A.A. Group that was around for 20, 30 or 40 years? There used to be 50, 75, 100 or more at every meeting. It is now a matter of history; gone! More and more groups are folding every day. What happened?

We hear a lot of ideas, opinions and excuses as to what happened but things are not improving. They continue to get worse. What is happening?

Bill W. wrote,

“In the years ahead A.A. will, of course, make mistakes. Experience has taught us that we need have no fear of doing this, providing that we always remain willing to admit our faults and to correct them promptly. Our growth as individuals has depended upon this healthy process of trial and error. So will our growth as a fellowship.

Let us always remember that any society of men and women that cannot freely correct its own faults must surely fall into decay if not into collapse. Such is the universal penalty for the failure to go on growing. Just as each A.A. must continue to take his moral inventory and act upon it, so must our whole Society if we are to survive and if we are to serve usefully and well.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: What Happened?

Postby txsuperman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:43 pm

[quote="Dallas"]What Happened?

When A.A. was very successful, the folks who did the talking in meetings were [b]recovered alcoholics. The suffering and untreated alcoholics listened. After hearing what it takes to recover, the newcomer was faced with a decision; “Are you going to take the Steps and recover or are you going to get back out there and finish the job?â€
txsuperman

Postby Dallas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:35 pm

Hey Jason, nice to see you! Yep. I knew I had that article by Cliff B., somewhere in my bunch of boxes of A.A. stuff and I wasn’t sure where it was. You were the one that inspired me to dig it out. I thought it might be right up your alley! I was going to email you to let you know it was on the site now – but I figured I would let you find it for yourself.

I probably have him on tape also. Do you want a copy?

Also... Did you notice the "Beginners Class Format"? Thought you might like that, too!

I've probably got talks by Chris and Myers, too, if you want. :wink:

I mentioned that we share a lot of common ideas didn’t I?

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery