- Girl's heart heals itself

Girl's heart heals itself

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Dallas » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:11 am

British girl's heart heals itself after transplant

LONDON – British doctors designed a radical solution to save a girl with major heart problems in 1995: they implanted a donor heart directly onto her own failing heart.

After 10 years with two blood pumping organs, Hannah Clark's faulty one did what many experts had thought impossible: it healed itself enough so that doctors could remove the donated heart.

But she also had a price to pay: the drugs Clark took to prevent her body from rejecting the donated heart led to malignant cancer that required chemotherapy.

Details of Clark's revolutionary transplant and follow-up care were published online Tuesday in the medical journal Lancet.

"This shows that the heart can indeed repair itself if given the opportunity," said Dr. Douglas Zipes, a past president of the American College of Cardiology. Zipes was not linked to Clark's treatment or to the Lancet paper. "The heart apparently has major regenerative powers, and it is now key to find out how they work."

from Yahoo news: July , 2009
---------------------------

There are many reasons I love it when I read stories like the one above. It's a great example of "just because doctors and all of science know something -- about something -- keep an open mind. Because all they really know is what they know today... As I read in my book, Alcoholics Anonymous, "More will be revealed"!

Naturally, I'm happy for the little girl. I'm always happy when I read miracle stories and especially reading of or hearing about miracles for children, dogs and alcoholics.

"But she also had a price to pay: (Simple but not easy? A price had to be paid. Perhaps not simple and not so easy in this case)... the drugs Clark took to prevent her body from rejecting the donated heart (those who take medications might note) led to malignant cancer that required chemotherapy."

For those who have these incurable medical conditions that are so popular (especially amongst alcoholics) -- they might want to take note of this story.

All because a doctor somewhere said "I'm not excepting the limitations that science and the medical community have placed on it's self -- I'm going to go out of the box and try to help this little girl anyway" -- science and the medical community learned a valuable lesson that has gone against what they have believed for at least a few hundred years. "The heart -- a body organ -- can heal its self!" (It has been a common belief that "body organs cannot heal".

What I learned to believe as a result of my journey through A.A.'s Assisted Living Plan of Recovery and Living, is:

On page 11, BB, Bill's Story:

"But my friend sat before me, and he made the pointblank
declaration that God had done for him what he
could not do for himself. His human will had failed.
Doctors had pronounced him incurable. Society was about
to lock him up. Like myself, he had admitted complete
defeat. Then he had, in effect, been raised from the dead,
suddenly taken from the scrap heap to a level of life
better than the best he had ever known!

Had this power originated in him? Obviously it had
not. There had been no more power in him than there
was in me at the minute; and this was none at all.

That floored me. It began to look as though religious
people were right after all. Here was something at work **
in a human heart ** which had done the impossible. My
ideas about miracles were drastically revised right then.
Never mind the musty past; here sat a miracle directly
across the kitchen table. He shouted great tidings."

Of course, that story is about Bill's sponsor Ebby. Bill already knew that both he and his sponsor were incurable alcoholics. (Step One ?) He saw his alcoholic friend sitting in front of him sober (Step Two? Came... to believe... that there is hope after all as the result of seeing the evidence in others. AA meetings? Seeing others who have recovered?)

Ebby, as we know, went back to hopeless drinking and drank until the last couple of years in his life. But, Bill, was determined to find "a way out". A way to hang on to what he got! And, he continued to work on it -- even after his sponsor returned to drinking.

Bill writes of another miracle on page 57, BB, "We Agnostics"

as he wrote about another alcoholics experience...

"Save for a few brief moments of temptation
the thought of drink has never returned; and at such times
a great revulsion has risen up in him. Seemingly he could
not drink even if he would. God had restored his sanity.

What is this but a miracle of healing? Yet its elements
are simple. Circumstances made him willing to believe.
He humbly offered himself to his Maker — then he knew.

Even so has God restored us all to our right minds. To
this man, the revelation was sudden. Some of us grow
into it more slowly. But He has come to all who have
honestly sought Him.

When we drew near to Him He disclosed Himself to us!"

Those who think it's alright to drag their feet on taking the 12 Steps might want to take note of that story above! What Bill is writing about here, is an alcoholic that recovered... and was restored to sanity... as a result of the "Simple but not easy -- plan of recovery. AA's 12 Steps." What are YOU waiting for?

And, again, on page 83 we read:

"We will see that our new attitude
toward liquor has been given us without any thought
or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle
of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding
temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a
position of neutrality—safe and protected. We have not
even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed.
It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we
afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so
long as we keep in fit spiritual condition."

REMEMBER: This is being written in the MIDDLE OF STEP TEN! How often do you hear alcoholics saying "Well... I practice Step 10 daily... but, I haven't got through the Steps yet! (Meaning the nine Steps before Step 10!)

The kind of "keeping in fit spiritual condition" that Bill wrote about above... IS NOT simply praying, meditating, going to church, taking AA commitments, helping others, doing good things, not drinking... and a host of other things!!!

It's THIS: "It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action
and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we
do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism."

WHAT IS the SPIRITUAL PROGRAM OF ACTION? It's the 12 Steps.

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU TAKE THEM TOO SLOW? You'll probably drink again before you get another opportunity to "take the Steps".

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU STOP TAKING THEM? You'll drink again!

We are not cured... but all kinds of wonderful happens to us -- when we take the 12 Steps!

Finally, on miracles, as the lead-in story about the little girl with a heart that healed its self proved... again, if you'd like to read of other Miracles, read the chapter "The Family Afterward" in the BB.

For those of you who are suffering from "incurable conditions"... and you discount the power of a Higher Power, Spiritual Tools, and the marvels of the body and the heart that can heal its self... just because some doctors or your best scientific thinking told you so.... "Be willing to came.... to believe" and be willing to let go of old ideas -- absolutely! You may experience a miracle yourself!

This story has so many of the things that I believe in it, as a result of my journey in AA -- that for me, it's amazing!

One final note, in that regards:

"What if... in the little girls story above... they just practiced acceptance?"

What if... the one doctor had said "Oh well, little girl... this is just something you have to accept and I have to accept... we all know that the heart is incapable of healing its self!" And, they just gave up trying???

Because they didn't give up and they continued to try... "more was revealed" and now, the entire world will be a better place for it!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:21 am

The WISDOM to know the difference-- hmmm......!!!
ROBERT

Postby Danni » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks for sharing this.

Danni
Danni

Postby GINA » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:52 pm

Ya know, I'm really glad today I know the difference between "getting lucky"(or whatever else I used to think it was) and "God doing for me what I couldn't do for myself".

That story gave me goose bumps, and has me recalling a lot of the amazing things God has done for me in my life. I am very blessed, and sometimes I forget to remember what life was like when Gina ran the whole show. Honestly, I've been in God's way again. Thanks for the reminder to get out of His way, and life will be better than I could ever imagine!!!!

Gina
GINA

Postby ROBERT » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:01 pm

YA know GOD has granted me some serenity, even given me some courage, I'm still waiting for that wisdom to kick in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO LIVE
ROBERT

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery