- Why do Alcohilics relapse??

Why do Alcohilics relapse??

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby garden variety » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:32 pm

It's point blank for me too: I can NEVER safely use alcohol in any form. Never means not today, tomorrow, or evermore. That was the obvious starting point for me. It was a public admission, but also a concession from within my soul. Alcohol had me beat.

I surrendered to alcohol. I could never win against alcohol, or overcome what happened to me when I drink.

You know it's the same today? That pretty much means that I'm still as powerless over alcohol today as I was 10 years ago.

Dallas wrote:... it's the WORK that will keep us sober. Regardless, of God and everything else there is a Power Greater than all of us... in the 12 Steps, if taken and applied.

Ahhhh! :)

You are absolutely right my brother. Everything in the whole wide world of sobriety - even things that are suggested in the book - can fail or fall by the wayside. These things could include:

-My belief in a God of my understanding
-My desire to quit drinking
-Everything written in the Big Book of A.A.
-Every person in the fellowship
-Every meeting I attend
-The 12 Steps

Which means, I will go back to drinking.

There is only one single thing that NEVER fails...
WORK.

It says it in the book:

Page 14:
"For if an alcoholic failed to perfect and enlarge his spiritual life through work and self-sacrifice for others, he could not survive..."

Page 15:
"but I soon found out that when all other measures failed, work with another alcoholic would save the day." [that would be the 24-hour period which happens one at a time]

Page 89:
"Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail."

If I don't WORK, I won't SURVIVE. "Not surviving" = "DEAD".

LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO BILL WILSON! What happened? It looks like everything Bill knew, understood, or practiced FAILED at one time or another. That is everything EXCEPT WORK! If it happened to Bill W, I think it could probably happen to me!

The 100 or so alcoholics who wrote the book also say, essentially, that there is a chance that every single other activity will fail. Everything except WORK.

Ladies and gentlemen, this was something I learned from Dallas. You can go back and see where I didn't want to hear that everything, and I do mean everything, could fail. And Dallas would say everything except "Action, and more action." That would grate my nerves raw!

Then one day I read this on page 93:

"To be vital, faith must be accompanied by self-sacrifice and unselfish, constructive action."

The light suddenly went on. Dallas was right! It was something that came to life within me and I could FEEL that Truth at the core of my spirit. Faith without WORK is dead.

Dallas also said:

Dallas wrote:The work is not about working on me, either.

True. True. True.

It means that the WORK I do is done WITH NO EXPECTATIONS of anything being returned to me. I WORK because someone else WORKED with me to help me achive sobriety and didn't expect anything in return. I was saved from the certain doom of alcoholism because a whole bunch of you folks WORKED with me, and for me, when I could not WORK. This is how I was shown unconditional love, in the form of "action, and more action." That is why I always say:

CONSTRUCTIVE ACTION NEVER FAILS.

You know how I know that's true?

ACTION (WORK) is the only thing anyone can leave behind. I want CONSTRUCTIVE ACTION to be my footprint. It will stand forever long after I'm dead. The book is alive today, and speaks to our hearts today, even though it was published in 1939 and those 100 drunks are probably all dead and gone - its all because of that same reason: CONSTRUCTIVE ACTION NEVER FAILS.

I hope each of you will try believing in this fact too!

God bless.
garden variety

Previous

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery