- .......SELF-CENTEREDNESS....THE CORE......

.......SELF-CENTEREDNESS....THE CORE......

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

.......SELF-CENTEREDNESS....THE CORE......

Postby ROBERT » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:23 am

This has been a difficult issue to come to terms with for me over the years, I truely did not understand what being self-centered was, let me clarify this...take the word ballistics-I know the word and have a certain level of understanding as to what it means...but I truely don't understand it! Comprehending self-centeredness as it pertains to me has been...well...not easy, and the reasons why it has been difficult does not really matter today---but I see the devastating results this unhealthy copeing skill has brought about. To accept this as a part of me was the key that unlocked the door to moving beyond this handicap...slowly..staying plugged into recovery, having a desire to grow, get healthy, was and is and will always be the pivotal value that will keep me moving forwards....just not useing does not work any more...the central fact is this.....God has entered my life as a result of the 12 steps...and entered is more like..an awareness..as my feeling that God has always been there is true for me...and as I trudge along..happily..and the lessons I need to learn show themselves, this understanding of things not previously present grows and deepens...self-centeredness did not cause/create my alcoholism...however it did keep me returning to that first one...the part in the book that talks about the alki doesn't know any better as to why the first drink is taken than any one else, in light of the results that come from it, is a clear message to me today that the drink was/is only a symbol....the core issue of my being blind to my self-centeredness was deeply intact. God has so gently brought this issue (and others) to my awareness..what a gift, to know the truth, and be able to accept it... this is empowering, & freeing. The 7th step prayer says..God I am now willing that you should have all of me GOOD AND BAD...this was a tough place to be...for yrs I did not see any good in ME nor could I accept I was sick (bad) so for me it is important that "I AM" willing to have(accept) all of me GOOD AND BAD , as I'm quite sure God has always accepted me as I am... being self-centered is part of me, I accept that, I am human with human weaknesses...through the steps it is as God and I have become one, and with the power from this union I truley want whats good for me- AND so important--for others. See you on the broad highway....as we trudge along with the steps as our guides....
Last edited by ROBERT on Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:46 pm

Robert wrote:self-centeredness did not cause/create my alcoholism...

So true! It's impossible to become alcoholic without alcohol! And, alcohol is what creates alcoholism.

Alcohol, for me, was a solution to the effects and results created by my perceptions of my Self and my world. So, I drank it to help me.

I continued drinking and then became alcoholic.

Then, at some stage of my alcoholism -- I reached a place where it was harming me more than it was helping me -- but, I couldn't stop drinking it. That was the effects of my alcoholism.

This for me, is why it was essential for me to "take the Steps" to produce a transformation of my perceptions and my thinking (psychic change). I could not be free of the bondage of alcohol -- and remain free -- until the computer in my head got fixed! All my drives kept crashing! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:29 pm

sure wish i coud have the computer in my mind fixed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROBERT

Postby leejosepho » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:13 pm

“Selfishness - self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles ... [meaning] ... we invariably find that at some time in the past we have made decisions based on self which later placed us in a position to be hurt.
“So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though he usually doesn't think so.â€
leejosepho

Postby ROBERT » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:28 pm

Can we have a BIG.....AMEN.....Well put leejosepho...
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:10 pm

Big Book wrote:Selfishness - self-centeredness! That, we think, is the ROOT of our troubles ...

I believe that's the topic of this discusssion... :wink:

ROOT: What's under the root? Fear? Pride? Anger? Resentments?

NO.

Fear, pride, anger, resentments... are the branches and the fruit that comes from the ROOT.

And, what IS the ROOT? :wink:

The Big Book answers it's own questions. :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:12 pm

With that said... discovering "what the root is" (causes and conditions that produce the fear, resentments and harms to others) ... we can begin to think of others more than we're thinking of ourselves... and we begin to straighten out.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:30 pm

OK-can i get a ROOTy toot, toot then :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:30 am

Here you go, Robert...

ROOTy toot, toot
ROOTy toot, toot
ROOTy toot, toot toot toot! :lol: :lol:

ROOTy ROOTy ROOTy toot!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:26 am

Life, really is good....thanks for having some fun, big "D" :lol:--I do appreciate you. :wink: Have a great sunday
ROBERT

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery