- Does science keep you from believing?

Does science keep you from believing?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:59 am

If so... You'll be interested to know: This news story was just published this mornig:

Planets orbit stars in the same direction that the stars rotate. They all do.

Except one.

A newfound planet orbits the wrong way, backward compared to the rotation of its host star. Its discoverers think a near-collision may have created the retrograde orbit, as it is called.

The star and its planet, WASP-17, are about 1,000 light-years away. The setup was found by the UK's Wide Area Search for Planets (WASP) project in collaboration with Geneva Observatory. The discovery was announced today but has not yet been published in a journal.

"I would have to say this is one of the strangest planets we know about," said Sara Seager, an astrophysicist at MIT who was not involved in the discovery.

------------------------------

It helps to keep an open-mind!!! Even science changes it's mind!!! :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby angel143 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:52 am

I saw that article before I read your post...and I thought the same thing you posted!

Even science changes their minds.

But changing your mind can only happen if you have an open mind...

And changing your mind isnt a bad thing, its what allows people to grow...as long as your changing your mind based on good information, not just because someone told you too!!!

If you open your mind, the world is your option...if you keep your mind closed...the world is small and lonely...

Thanks for sharing the info Dallas
angel143

Postby garden variety » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Well it seems to me that the "Spirit of the Universe" is still active and doing the "exceptions to the rule" routine, huh?

The planet doing retrograde doesn't surprise me.

After all, every mammal bears their young live...they have babies. Well that is except the platypus and some kind of spiny anteater - those mammals lay eggs.

Then there are all those beautiful and graceful birds that fly. Fun to watch. I always wondered why they all have beaks instead of mouths, then none of them have teeth either, but they seem to eat pretty well. But that platypus, I wonder what he eats because he's got beak like a bird and don't have a mouth like every other mammal, and he don't have teeth!

But you also have a whole bunch of different kinds of mammals which have wings and actually fly better than birds with feathers. They're bats. They fly, but they don't have feathers or beaks. They have hair and mouths and teeth. But they probably eat the same things that birds eat.

Then there are all of those interesting fish in the sea. Ever go to an aquarium and see how gracious some of those finned tailed creatures do things? And you have those peculiar things that are like fish but don't have any bones - most of them live in shells. But you got the other shellfish that don't have a shell but, instead, have a bunch of arms and legs like Squid and Octopus. Don't ask me why they don't have shells, but have arms instead? They also seem to have minds because they communicate with other things by changing colors. Pretty amazing animals that really are different from the others.

I've also seen those penguins that don't know or have a clue about how to fly. But they sure know how to swim pretty good. Kind of a little backwards in their primary purpose area, huh? Those birds swim as good and even farther than some fish.

There's that silly little catfish down south that will walk around looking for another pond when the food in his pond gets eaten up...or his pond runs dry. Go down to Alabama or Florida and you might see one of those silly catfish walking around. You use a .22 rifle instead of a fishing pole to get those fish. They're called "walking catfish". That's a pretty cool idea, huh. "Think I'll just mosey on down the street to Wilbur's pond and pay a visit...."

Well many of these things I don't quite understand, and I'm not sure science can explain why they exist. But they tell me that there is a loving God who had these ideas, and made them come to life. Perhaps this "Power of the Universe" wanted to show me through His creation that there are certain things that are pretty certain - like certain "rules" that creation has to abide by. But there are also things that are the "exceptions to the rule".

Why is it that a turtle has a shell, and all of the other reptiles don't need one?

How come a Hermit Crab doesn't come "equipped" with a shell, when every other crab has his own shell?

Why on earth are there gazillion different kinds of "insectsâ€
garden variety

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery