- Information needed for 12th step work

Information needed for 12th step work

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Information needed for 12th step work

Postby DebbieV » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:30 am

Hey all you wonderful recovering alcoholics out there. How are y'all this beautiful Saturday morning?

Last week I had a wonderful and strange thing happen to me. Well two wonderful and strange things.
1. I got married..sober ....Been married a few times drunk but this is my first attempt sober, and man what a blessing. I could write a post alone on the gratitude I have right now for being sober. Maybe I will later but right now I am on a mission with 12 step work.
2. The judge in the small town I live in ask me if I could get some information on AA in the courts. He heard I got a meeting started here and wants to send people to them. I brought it up in the Wednesday night meeting (we have two a week in town) and the leader of that meeting said he was not comfortable having people sent to that meeting at all. So I talked to the judge about just sending them to the meeting I started on Saturday night.
I have been looking for information on the Internet and have talked to my sponsor about it, so now I am putting it out there for you guys. Any suggestions, words of wisdom, places to look for information?

I still find it hard to wrap my mind around the fact that a judge came to me for information, other than the normal.. how much were you drinking when you ran into the pole? How much CAN you pay a month? What are you going to do about your drinking so I don't see you in this court anymore?
Man how things have change in one year of not drinking and working the program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Thanks you guys and any information would be appreciated by me, the judge and maybe even a few people out there suffering in way only we could know.

Debbie
DebbieV

Postby Tim » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:41 pm

First off-Congratulations on your marriage! I wish you and your new husband all good things! My marriage has lasted thru 12 years of sobriety. I think a marriage has a better chance to survive and thrive if one or both of the partners is practicing the principles of the 12 Steps.

I don't have any problem with a judge, treatment center, employer, etc. sending someone to AA. You may want to talk further to the member who objects to this about how we need to accept anyone who has a problem with alcohol into our meetings, regardless of how they got there.
Tim

Postby DebbieV » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:11 am

Thank you Tim
I couldn’t agree more about the marriage having a better chance to thrive with following the steps of the program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I will bring up the judges wishes again at my next meeting, and maybe it will help. In the mean time I am trying to get all the information to him to help him make an informed decision. There doesn’t seem to be a lot out there, unless I am just looking in the wrong places.
I am so glad I have this site to go to for help. I think if we all work together in helping this little town have a stronger AA, it would flourish even more. Ten heads is better than one imagine what Hundreds could accomplish.

I am really excited about this court thing. I think having the judges support would bring in the police, Dr’s, schools and churches. Although I live in this small town, I know of at lest 30 people who are affected by this disease daily.. That is not including wife’s, husbands, fathers, mothers and worst of all the kids. There are very few repercussions for drinking here because it is such a shut off from the world small place. As some of you are well aware, it takes a nudge from the judge sometimes to get the help we need.

Thank you for letting me share and for any information you can pass along.

Debbie
DebbieV

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:22 am

Have you talked with the folks at the Central Offices or Intergroups that you were communicating with in the past?

How about GSR's of other groups? District Committee Chair? General Assembly? Or, AA NY?

Round out your experience and understanding by enlarging the group that you communicate with. Very seldom will one person have all the answers, unless of course it's me... :lol: But, I want for you, to expand your support network! It will be good for you. :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery