- How do you or do you celebrate your anniversary?

How do you or do you celebrate your anniversary?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby GeoffS » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:40 am

Dallas? Is that true?

Where did I put that Damn meetings book?
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Just look for the Big Blue one that has the largest stack of dust on it. :lol:

Just joking GeoffS. I know that your copy of the BB is well read.

Yep. It's right there on the pages of the Big Book that I mentioned above, starts at the bottom of the one and then finishes on the other. I know -- because I got corrected on it once! :lol: So, I made sure I didn't forget it!

What's funny for me was: I had also read this in Dr. Bob & the Good Oldtimers, book... which explained what the meetings were for.

~ "a meeting to be at attended by anyone or everyone interested in a spiritual way of life. Aside from fellowship and sociability, the
prime object was to provide a time and place where new
people might bring their problems."

I was studying AA history and old-fashioned AA as it was in the beginning, and was awed at how different the meetings are at the time.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DiggerinVA » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:22 am

Dallas wrote:J

I was studying AA history and old-fashioned AA as it was in the beginning, and was awed at how different the meetings are at the time.

Dallas

I'm currently working on that stuff now. Truly amazing. Also the way the program was rolled out to the newcomer. Where I live it took 3 try's for me to find a sponsor and about 5 months.
DiggerinVA

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:51 pm

:lol: I understand.

If I hadn't already been sober with the Steps already taken before I moved to where I live now -- I'm sure I'd be a gonner. Well, maybe not. I'm not about to find out... :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

20 Years Next Week

Postby Todd_in_Tulsa » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi Group,

Just found the group!

For my anniversary, I'm starting an OPEN recovery group at my church! Used to attend something like it years ago with my wife, and we miss it around Tulsa...We'll have a pot-luck, meeting, and I expect a good turn out from the church, their spouses, and the community....YUM - potluck!

Love ya guys...Look forward to getting to know you, and contribute.

Todd

Dallas wrote:Before anyone gets any ideas of bailing out on meetings... THEY ARE mentioned in the Big Book:

Bill W. wrote:"In addition to these casual get-togethers, it became customary
to set apart one night a week for a meeting to be at -
tended by anyone or everyone interested in a spiritual
way of life. Aside from fellowship and sociability, the
prime object was to provide a time and place where new
people might bring their problems."

pg 159-160, Big Book

Dallas B.
Todd_in_Tulsa

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Hi Todd, welcome to the site.

I've got a friend in Tulsa that may be interested in helping out. He's been a long-time member of AA, and he's into some similar things like you're talking about also. I'll see if I can track down his contact info and send it to you. His first name is Jim... and he travels all over the US for the organization. Perhaps, you already know him.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

celebrating my birthday

Postby daily reprieve » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Celebrated 1 year on 12/15/09. I planned to celebrate by going to a noon meeting and sitting in the crowd with no expectation of speaking (though, secretly hoping to have my birthday acknowledged). The fill-in secretary needed a chairperson and asked me if I would chair. The voice in my head said "I don't want to do it." As soon as I heard my wants placed before A.A.'s needs, I stepped up to service and chaired the meeting (hate to think what would have happened if A.A. said "NO" to me). Later that evening I met with a newcomer and put together a plan of action for step-work. Sat in on a meeting later that night and put my hand out to another newcomer with 2 days who really did not look comfortable sitting in the meeting. We exchanged stories and numbers and hopefully he comes back. The sobriety birthday was celebrated exactly how it was supposed to, exactly as GOD had it planned regardless of my expectations: giving back to a program that saved my life and reaching out to the alcoholic who still suffers. Nothing could have made my birthday more special.
daily reprieve

Postby Dallas » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:37 am

Congratulations on your one year! Keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

How do yo celebrate your anniversary

Postby knny913 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:40 pm

Good Evening Eveyone,
Wasn't it in "Dr Bob and the Good old Boys", the statement "all it takes to start a new meeting is a resentment and a pot of coffee."?
Congradulations Daily Reprieve, on your one year anniversary. Sounds like you did eveything right!
The meetings I attend are small by standard, because of where we live. In the two counties I live and work in, there is around 18,000 people total.
And these are two of the larger counties (sq miles) in Colorado. As I was saying the meetings are small, therefore most of the people attending already know if someone is having a birthday. So we give out chips, marbles, and/or medalions, depending on which meeting you go to. Some meetings we celebrate with cake or pastries, some meetings we celebrate with cake the last meeting day of the month for everyone having a birthday that month. Generally we ask the birthday person or persons to tell us how they did it. Most of the time it is said that they go to meetings, help others, and trust (their) God. It's unfortunate, but I haven't seen a person, yet, pick up a chip or celebrate an anniversary without doing ALL these things. Personally, I thank everyone for being there for me when I came through the doors of my first rooms. I also thank everyone for helping me find a God, and making me stay long enough to "let the miracle happen". One thing I look back on is the fact that when I came in, as scared and mad at the world as I was, the last thing I needed was to listen to anothers "Drunkaloge", because I already had my share. I needed to be made to feel comfortable, and settle in long enough to start to understand that I wasn't alone. That my life was not really that unlike anybody elses, it just happened differently, but the results were the same.
So I celebrate with each and everyone, if they are picking up a Desire chip, or have 40 years, because each and everyone of them help to keep me sober, if only to remind me of where I came from or what a life I have to look forward to. They are all great experiences to me. Keep up the good work Daiiy Reprieve. Thank You.
Kenny
knny913

Previous

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery