- Daily Reflections: A COMMON SOLUTION

Daily Reflections: A COMMON SOLUTION

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Daily Reflections: A COMMON SOLUTION

Postby Dallas » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:15 pm

Subject: Daily Reflections For Dec 12, 2009

A COMMON SOLUTION

December 12, 2009

The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 17

The most far-reaching Twelfth Step work was the publication of our Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous. Few can equal that book for carrying the message. My idea is to get out of myself and simply do what I can. Even if I haven’t been asked to sponsor and my phone rarely rings, I am still able to do Twelfth Step work. I get involved in “brotherly and harmonious action.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby MichalF » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:29 am

[i]“brotherly and harmonious action.â€
MichalF

Postby gunner48 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:11 pm

If I am to take part in the common solution I think that the paragraph on page 18 must apply to me.
But the ex-problem drinker who has found this solution, who is properly armed with facts about himself, can generally win the confidence of another alcoholic in a few hours. Until such an understanding is reach, little or nothing can be accomplished.
Now I only speak of myself. When I had throughly examined my life, understanding not only the things I had done to harm others but also the things people did to harm me, I could start a process of cleaning up my part and also stop responding to the hurt caused by others. Many things people did bothered me , such as the know it all forcing his beliefs on me, the person who always interrupted me while I was talking, the one who always complained about romance, finance and how unfair they had been treated. If I was to become effective with others I had to stop treating people in a way I didn't like to be treated. The big book refers to the toss pot calling the kettle black. Well if its wrong for you to treat me that way then it is absolutly wrong for me to do that to others. I had to stop. I also found that walking away from a conversation is not always a bad thing. Gossip is gossip and I can't take part in it. So if I walk away it ends. I began to become armed with facts about myself.
The process of working the steps, learning spirital principles by which I could live, carring the message of hope to others who suffer, understanding that God did not make me all things to all people, understanding my strenghts and weaknesses and being availiable to assist where I am able to has allowed me to demonstrate a common solution.
I am as excited if not more excited about my sobierty today as I was 20 years ago. I have been blessed with life, joy and peace of mind.I have god in my life today along with many friends that are willing to allow me to be me. We laugh and cry together. Most important is the fact we are together sharing our lifes and showing love for each other.
Yes a Common solution. Its much more than a basic text (although very important to recovery) , going to meetings, and talking to each other. I am responsible to reach out, carry the message, be a friend, laugh till my belly hurts, and cry with you when tears are called for.
Peace and Love Gunner
gunner48

Postby Dallas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:43 pm

I think it was interesting, that in Doctor Bob's last major talk... he mentioned that he was concerned about us getting so rigid and complicated in our message -- that we would louse up the entirety of AA.

He went on to say something like "You can take all the 12 Steps and boil them down and mix them together -- and it all comes down to two things: Love and service. And, we know what love is, and we know what service is."

I may not love someone -- but, I can be kind, nice and respectful, and act lovingly towards them.

I may not want to, or I may want to "do it my way or the highway"... in serving them -- but, to me, that's not being of service to them, it's being of service to my Ego, my ideology, my Self, and it's not very loving.

For me, brotherly and harmonious action -- is like playing music. If the rest of the band is paying and singing in the key of C... and I'm in F, or E flat... I'll be out of tune with them, and the music will not be helpful for anyone, except to irritate them. If I can't sing in the right key... I can help the band in other ways, instead of singing! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery