- What does forgiveness mean to you?

What does forgiveness mean to you?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

What does forgiveness mean to you?

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Does forgiveness mean more than "to release, set free and let go of a resentment"? I appreciate your replies.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toddy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:51 am

It never occured to me to use resentment and forgiveness in the same thought.
Toddy

Postby Larry H. » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:44 pm

For me the need to forgive is usually but not always associated with a resentment.

Say a certain person did me wrong. Whether it was real or simply perceived to have happened makes no difference because perception is reality. I get a resentment toward that person. My experience in AA is that the only way I can get better and get rid of the resentment is to forgive them and let it go. It does not matter the situation or the severity of the consequences thier action caused in my life. If I want to get better I have to forgive and let it go.

There are exceptions. Say I discover my young son lying to me. Do I resent him? Of course not, but I am disappointed in his behavior. To me there is a world of difference between disappointment and resentment. The only way to improve this situation is to have a loving talk with him explaining my disappointment and then forgive him. Forgiving in this regard also means to let it go. I don't bring it up in the future and say remember when you lied. If I do this then I have not really forgiven nor have I really let it go.

Larry,
--------------
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
Larry H.

Postby Dallas » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Larry, thanks for shedding more light through your experience on this! I apprecate you! You seem to have a way of sharing -- that opens my eyes to see more of the horizon -- and for this, I am grateful. I look forward to reading your shares!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery