- What made you seek help for drug addiction?

What made you seek help for drug addiction?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

What made you seek help for drug addiction?

Postby care4sober » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:59 pm

There are many reasons why people finally seek the help of substance abuse professionals/ rehabs. It may be due to physical and psychological dilemma, advice of good friends, or a simple realization that they deserve a better life or that they want their freedom back. How did you or someone you know finally decide to quit drugs and seek professional help?
care4sober

Postby Camel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:18 pm

I knew I was going to die, if I didn't get back to the Program. I had a total hip-replacement in 2008, and did not adhere to, "take as prescribed." Can you believe that? After 24 years of sobriety, (not continuous, but 24 years, none the less), I knew I was being none to smart when my Doctor, (who so happens to be a very good friend of mine, and knows my past), handed me that prescription for oxycontin and said, "Are you going to be alright with this, Hub?" I replied, "Aw shucks, Doc, that was a long time ago." I lied to myself, and to my Doctor, and ended up taking advantage of that friendship. His last words to me were, "Don't you ever call me again. You need help!" I have since made amends to him, and our friendship has been restored. At any rate, the day that the Good Lord let me live through the worst humiliation of my life, was the day I knew that I knew it was over, and I that had to do something about it, right then. That day was June 14, 2010. Thank God for what I had learned in Alcoholics Anonymous. I decided I would not go to Treatment, no matter what, and that I would kick it cold-turkey. I do not reccomend that for anybody. I kicked heroin in 1976, and I assure you, that was a cakewalk, compared to coming off oxycontin. Even coming off alcohol, I would start to feel a little better after 3 days. Not so with oxycontin. It got worse every day. I have never been so sick in my entire life. Now I know what Bill Wilson meant when he said us alkies are "pikers", compared to someone coming off narcotics. That was 12 or 13 days of hell on this earth. The vomiting, the runs that felt like fire coming out my butt, the aches, the sweating, the urinating, the chills. I couldn't get comfortable, no matter how I sat, or layed. I couldn't eat, but I knew I had to. I couldn't drink anything, but I knew I had to. I couldn't sleep, and when I did shut my eyes, I saw all kinds of crazy, evil chit, I have never seen before. I dialed the dope man's number a hundred times, but I would say, "Lord, please help me. Please help me. If you will help me, I will do everything I can to help others. If I've gone too far, just take me. I can't live like this anymore." I kept a pistol on my nightstand, beside my bed. Something told me I had better put it out of my sight. I got up to go move it, legs aching and shaking, and went in my bedroom. I thought about blowing my brains out, I'm telling you, several times. Then I would think about my Family finding me, and the mess. Then, I heard a voice say, "Don't touch that gun." Thank God, He gave me the grace and mercy to get through that. It was almost 10 months before I could sleep over 1 or 2 hours at a time. I had those terrible dreams for several months, too. My joints, my knees, my back, my jaws, just ached and ached, for months. I don't ever want to be that sick again. All I have to do is follow a few simple rules. Thank God Almighty for Alcoholics Anonymous. It saved my life.

Hub
Camel

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks for sharing, Hub.
I appreciate you and really appreciate you sharing your experience.
Perfect timing to hear it, too.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: What made you decide to seek help for drug addiction?

Postby Brien » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:53 am

thanks Hub, prescription drugs after surgeries have taken alot of members out after long term sobriety.
We need to make sure people close to us know or even monitor pain pills we might need to take after a surgery
Brien

Re: What made you decide to seek help drug addiction?

Postby Dallas » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:32 am

We just installed new forum software, and one of the questions that we're trying to get feedback on is:

Should we include a special section here in the forums that is for Prescription Drug Addiction?

I've known a lot of both, AA & NA members who have lost their sobriety after getting hooked on prescription drugs.

What do you think?

Also -- if any member here is having trouble accessing parts of the forum or having trouble with the way it operates for them -- please let me know. I can't fix it or have it fixed if I don't know about it. Thanks!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Camel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:56 am

Dallas wrote:We just installed new forum software, and one of the questions that we're trying to get feedback on is:

Should we include a special section here in the forums that is for Prescription Drug Addiction?
I've known a lot of both, AA & NA members who have lost their sobriety after getting hooked on prescription drugs.

What do you think?

Also -- if any member here is having trouble accessing parts of the forum or having trouble with the way it operates for them -- please let me know. I can't fix it or have it fixed if I don't know about it. Thanks!

I think that is a great idea, Dallas!

Hub
Camel

Postby Dallas » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback Hub.
I really depend on the forum regulars here, like you -- to provide your ideas and suggestions to guide me in the right direction. Without it -- I'm left to my own devices -- and that can be dangerous ground for me. :-)
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: What made you seek help for drug addiction?

Postby Dallas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:52 pm

I started using drugs before I was old enough to drink. :lol:
I tried drinking, when I was about eleven years old,
but, I would puke up the alcohol and feel dizzy -- but I could keep the drugs down.

I kept at it -- trying to be able to handle drinking without getting sick.
I finally mastered the drinking -- and was able to drink while I did drugs.

I seemed to be able to control both of them for a while.
It's a lot easier to control them when locked up. :lol:

Getting locked up became a problem.
It seemed like every time I did drugs -- I was getting in trouble and getting locked up.

So, I increased my drinking -- to control my love for drugs.

It worked pretty well -- so, I fell in love with drinking.
When I'd get locked up when drinking -- it was always for a much shorter time,
and the institutions were a lot nicer. :roll:

Then, I seemed to lose total control over my drinking -- and when drinking, I was much more likely to end up drugging, too. When drinking? What does that mean? Well -- I didn't drink while I was sleeping. So, while I was sleeping, I could control the drinking -- until I woke up, or something woke me up. Then, it was like: Drink + drug + cigarette to help me get ready to have a cup of coffee.

Why did I seek help? I think it might have been because I got so drunk for so long -- that it didn't really occur to me that I was seeking help -- other than just some help to learn how to control it better.

I went to AA, and stayed sober for a few months. I really liked sobriety. But, unfortunately, sobriety didn't seem to like me. :lol: So, I started drinking again and couldn't get sober again -- regardless of how many AA meetings I tried to go to.

I later found out -- that going to meetings were not enough to help an alcoholic like me, to stay sober, or even get sober. I ended up having to make some radical changes -- and that sucked big time -- while I was making the changes.

It's much better today. The changes helped me to change -- and that helped me so that I can now finally be happy & comfortable while sober.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery