- Definition of Pink Cloud in Sobriety

Definition of Pink Cloud in Sobriety

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Definition of Pink Cloud in Sobriety

Postby Jebtion12345 » Sat May 12, 2012 7:52 am

Hi all,
My working definition of a pink cloud I take from the Big Book on p. 25.

"The central fact of our lives today is the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous."

If I truly believe I lost the power of choice in drink and exhausted nearly every thing on this planet seen to the eye to keep myself clean and sober (including meetings and fellowship alone) then the fact I draw sober breath and am happy and feel full of purpose for the first time in a life of pain and struggle, I have entered a world of miracles. To have conviction in this after a whole lofe of being conflicted about everything is a slice of heaven indeed. I was at a meeting last night on fire with my love of this program and God and a guy who meant really well said to me after you are in the pink cloud phase. I kindly replied don't squash my spiritual experience that brought me into a relationship with a power greater than myself. ;)

The thing is that I had a repeated experiences with banging my head against the wall.
Step one was firmly in place by the time I became willing. My reliance on a Higher Power is not due to the trouble I got into, the financial woes I created and so on ... it is based on being completely broken and defeated. I am on the intense side by nature, but I feel like I was intensely saved in the rooms of AA. God saved me in the rooms. I wish I could share at meetings and be cute and popular and funny but I feel God woke my butt up so I could help my brothers and sisters and tell the truth. Not a watered down message i half heartedly believe just to try to fit in.

I know when the time is right I will be able to take some people through the steps but until then I will keep working the steps, plugging in to the resource that has always been there, and sharing my zeal. I just cant believe the tools were in front of me all those years staying sick in the rooms and not understanding my disease. The tools to plug me into the power that would solve my drink problem.

I know some guys in my meetings think I am trying to be perfect, they all but tell me through cross talk. If they only knew how I am not that popular with the popular guys because I wont share about my day or check in or tell funny stories and drunkalogues. But they are my brothers and sisters and I ask God to help me be a channel of his peace, to reconcile where there is dischord.

I dont even know who I am at times, my thinking is so different. I had thoughts of suicide my whole life, did lines of cocaine in dirty bathrooms and drank at bars behind bullet proof glass in Baltimore (to name a few debacles). Now I want to serve this Higher Power as a way of showing gratitude.

I think the Pink Cloud is the fourth dimension. It can be scary place because it is so new and require faith it is not a lie. I actually think to be on the pInk cloud and share the effects can be a tough thing and can actually feel isolating in some groups but the certainty of my Creator walking with me gives me courage and strength to live the serenity prayer to the best of my ability. And to ask Gods forgiveness and get back on the path as quickly as I can.

Thanks all for "listening" ... I love ya all!!
Peace
Joseph
Jebtion12345

Re: Pink Cloud

Postby Dallas » Sat May 12, 2012 9:33 am

I think you're right on.

We're always much happier than the people that try to criticize or minimize our experience of "happy, joyous and free" while sober -- because they're missing out on it. We have to remind ourselves of this.

I also think, that often, what their comments mean is: "I almost got what you got once -- but I couldn't figure out what to do or wouldn't do what was necessary to keep it, expand upon it, and make it grow -- so, I gave up on trying."

It's actually kind of sad -- when we think about it. How unfortunate -- it is, when so many people feel useless, unhappy, depressed, and without purpose. There is a solution for it. But, they can't grasp the solution until they become willing to let go of their old ideas -- absolutely.

If and when we offer to show them what we did and what we do to produce the sustained Pink Cloud effect -- they're afraid to try it. So they feel more comfortable and relaxed by avoiding trying to achieve it.

Remember back in our past, when we'd be experiencing the "wonder moments" while drinking -- and non-alcoholics couldn't figure it out? We had a solution called drinking. That's what produced the "wonder moments" for us. Now, we have a new solution, called Sobriety with Actions -- that does for us -- what we couldn't do for ourselves. It does for us, what we were attempting to do -- by drinking.

Thus, "I found in Sobriety -- all that I was looking for in the bottle". So, I know "where" what I was looking for is. It's in Sobriety with Actions. Why would we ever choose to go back to the bottle, to look for what only can be found in Sobriety? :-)

One reply that I sometimes offer to those who criticize and minimize my "Most of the time -- Pink Cloud experience" is: "Keep coming back! Maybe you, too, will figure out how to produce your own Pink Clouds -- and figure out what you have to do to keep them more often and longer. AND, you might figure out how to create them at will -- when you don't have one." :-)

Thanks for sharing Joseph. I like it when shares like yours above keeps my memory in motion and refreshed. It reminds me that on the days or moments that I don't have the "Pink Cloud" effect -- that there IS some actions that I can take to change it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Frananne » Sat May 12, 2012 7:54 pm

My observation is that people tend to be half full or half empty glass in general and if you are resting on the pink cloud you are a half full glass kind of person. Congratulations and keep up the good work!
Frananne
Frananne

Postby Jebtion12345 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks Frananne!
I am a half full type although drugs and booze made me a half empty type (and the glass in my hand was always empty)!
I think in bill's story a pink cloud effect is alluded to ...
"I suppose some would be shocked at our seeming worldliness and levity. But just underneath there is deadly earnestness. Faith has to work twenty-four hours a day in and through us, or we perish."
BBp.16
Good Saturday night to all!
I am turning in :)
J
Jebtion12345

Re: Definition of Pink Cloud in Sobriety

Postby Toast » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi, good topic.

Like drinking engaging in cynicism and negativity produce instant gratification for the user.

The fruits of positive thinking sometimes take a while longer to produce anything of worth. And that takes patience, tolerance and perseverance. These are gifts we alcoholics are not normally blessed with but they can be acquired if we're willing to go that extra mile.

God bless.
Toast

Postby Tim » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:39 pm

In early sobriety I was not on a pink cloud--maybe there were some pink edges to it. As the days, months, and years of continuous sobriety have gone by, the cloud is much rosier and my interior weather is far less stormy.
Tim

Postby Toast » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:33 am

The pink cloud comes when the desperation goes.
Toast

Postby Camel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:24 am

There are always nay sayers in every crowd. They just don't get it, IMHO. God bless them. I was told early on by one of those "experts", in AA, that I had better keep a "pink parachute", handy for my fall from the "pink cloud." Bull chit. I've literally been on a pink cloud since the day that the God inspired thought came to me that I must surrender, or die. That I must work these Steps, or die. Compared to that day, which was the most humiliating, sick, and miserable day I have ever experienced in my entire life, everyday from that day to this, is a day I'm on a "pink cloud!" Bill Wilson tells us on Page 25 of the Big Book that, "We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed." Now, if that ain't a "pink cloud", there ain't a Cowboy Hat in Dallas.

Hub
Camel

Postby Tim » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 pm

Hub (Camel),

I have run into many in AA, like yourself, who have been on a pink cloud since they got sober. They are an inspiration to the rest of us whose pink cloud is more of the educational variety--"more will be revealed"
Tim

Postby Camel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Tim wrote:Hub (Camel),

I have run into many in AA, like yourself, who have been on a pink cloud since they got sober. They are an inspiration to the rest of us whose pink cloud is more of the educational variety--"more will be revealed"

Not to imply everything comes up peaches and cream, because it doesn't. We all have situations in our personal and business lives which are difficult. As a direct result of God's grace and the 12 Steps, I now evaluate each and every difficult situation before I react. An attribute once absent in my life! I don't "win" every situation in the literal sense, but I can always find a lesson for living, if I look for it. Sometimes the lesson is, "I am so grateful I don't have to deal with this with that horrible sickness on me today." I've learned, the hard way, NO SITUATION can be worse than that for me. So goes the saying, "Any day without a drink is a GREAT day!"

Hub
Camel

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery