- It is time

It is time

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

It is time

Postby 918gma » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:12 pm

It is time once again to allow the tools of my recovery to heal myself and those I am closest to. A dear childhood friend passed today. One I can not remember not having in my lie.

My first thought was why did he take my friend. Then I remembered that he wasn't just my friend. He left behind a child hood sweetheart. One he had been in love with since his early teens. I can not recall a time when they were not side by side. What an adjustment this will be for her.

Each of my children also knew him very well. When they were younger and my Mom was watching them while I worked, she would take them with her to go do Dorothy's hair and Charles would play with them. Sit right down on he kitchen floor and play whatever they wanted to play. They always had puppies and other small animals around the house. My children learned to love animals from these two fine people.

No it's not about me today, I need to find a way to comfort the others that he touch in his kind way. Kay has a way of dealing with this that has always amazed me. She says after a pause, He's in heaven now, I'll see him later.

It's times like this that I am grateful for the natural grief process that sobriety has given me. The opportunity to feel, and reflect, and then to say goodbye.

Pain is actually a comfort to me after all those years of feeling numb. I think it's because I know that it too will pass and I will go on. In my drunk a log I was never able to get over things like this because I hung onto them and wouldn't let go. Now I know I can, and I can also be there for others that this event will touch.

Thank you my friends once again for giving me a moment to place things in their rightful place.
918gma

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery