- Eight Things that Determine My Day and Future

Eight Things that Determine My Day and Future

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Eight Things that Determine My Day and Future

Postby Dallas » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:20 am

I should first label this as: "Dallas B.'s - Eight Things that Determine My Day and Future, because you may only have Seven, or someone else may have 12. :-)

The Eight Things that Determine My Day and Future.
What I've learned, from my own experience is: It's Eight things that determine my day and future: 1. Physical Sobriety 2. Emotional Sobriety 3. Spiritual Sobriety 4. Maturity 5. Structure. 6. Discipline 7. Honesty 8. My actions. And, EACH of these Eight MUST be securely linked together.
Dallas B.

I wanted to be sure to "own" this, because it's NOT from a page in the Big Book or some other book. It's based upon my personal experience & observations.

Recently, a person was suffering the loss of a friend in recovery that took her life. Trying to figure out the mystery, she came to the conclusion that it was a "lack of attending meetings."

I understand searching for the mysteries.

However, I've known people who were active in the Fellowship -- went to a meeting the night before, and a noon meeting on the day of -- taking their life.

So, while I encourage ALL people to attend meetings regularly -- I recognize that meetings is not the answer.

At the same time -- over the last 25 yrs -- I can identify for myself "had I not been in that meeting" I would have lost my life and would not be here today to write this. So, for me, I do consider meetings as mandatory -- even though before my last drunk, nearly 27 yrs ago (a drink that lasted for six months) -- I had been to a meeting the night before and had been going to meetings 3 & 4x per day for six months before the drunk.

What I've concluded, from my own experience is, it's Eight things, that determine my day and my future: 1. Physical Sobriety 2. Emotional Sobriety. 3. Spiritual Sobriety. 4. Maturity. 5. Structure. 6. Discipline. 7. Honesty. 8. My actions. And, EACH of these seven MUST be securely linked together.
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: Eight Things that Determine My Day and Future

Postby Toast » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks Dallas,

Glad you mentioned the future, i guess if i dont have some structure in my life i wont have one, and that would be terrible, if its as good as today i can hardly wait!

Enjoying Life

John
Toast

Re: Eight Things that Determine My Day and Future

Postby sunlight » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:14 pm

I kept thinking that there was something missing from this list - for me.

Maybe this falls in one of the other catagories, but I think it deserves a place of its own.

One other essential for determining my day and my future is a sense of humor!

I can get so serious about all the other 8 that I begin to get rigid and almost fanactical about adhering to them.

So the ability to laugh, especially at myself, gives my day a lightness of being that makes it a joy.
It carries with it many other blessings, like the willingness to forgive others, cuz I've sure had to forgive myself! And the gumption to try again after a fall. And the courage to try new things, even if they're scarey or a little wacky.

Cheerfulness makes for usefulness y'know!
sunlight

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery