- AA Recovery Quotes

AA Recovery Quotes

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

AA Recovery Quotes

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:38 am

What others think of me is none of my business. What I think of others can harm me."

"I keep going to meetings because I still have an ego"

"I keep going to meetings to see what happens to people who keep going to meetings"

"When thinking about drinking ask yourself a little three-word question: "And then what?"

"I thought that alcohol was holding me together, but it was tearing me apart"

"Let go and fall up"

"AA helps me to get closer to who I was meant to be"

"I came to AA to deal with my drinking. I stay in AA to deal with my thinking"

"In the word alcoholism, I-S-M stands for "Incredibly Short Memory"

"The great discovery for me (in recovery) was that I was never alone anymore. I had been totally alone before, and now I had a God of my very own. And where I am, He is. I am often by myself, but never alone."

"The human ego: 'conscious separation from God, from others and eventually from ourselves'. My ego says, 'It's big me, little me, smart me, dumb me, rich me, poor me against the whole world. I've got to out-think, out-perform, and out-maneuver in order to survive in this unfriendly universe....The Steps help to squeeze us out of ourselves, at least temporarily"

Re: AA Recovery Quotes

Postby Sam » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:10 am

Tim wrote:"I keep going to meetings to see what happens to people who keep going to meetings"

"I keep going to meetings to hear about what happens to people who don't go to meetings"
Sam

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:42 am

Sam,

The quote you wrote is one that I have heard often over the years around the AA tables. It is true, and the story never improves for those who return to the grim hell of drinking.

I first heard the quote I wrote, "I keep going to meetings to hear what happens to people who keep going to meetings" a few months ago from someone with several decades of sobriety. To me it is more what I want to hear--the experience, strength and hope of others who continue in their program of active recovery that encourages me in sober thinking and living.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:56 am

I keep going to meetings to: remember what the problem is, what the solution is, and as an example to the newcomer, that it's really does work if they have the courage and commitment to work it.

If I forget what the problem is, what the solution is, and that the newcomer is just as much a part of my solution as the rest of the deal... the example that I'll be is that alcoholism still works, too!

I guess that would be a long-winded quote, though. :oops: So, don't quote me on that! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:51 am

i keeps go'n to learn how to "STAY" sob'a...xo RZ
Rusty Zipper

Postby ATL-Male » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:59 am

I keep going to meetings because there are lots [okay "some"] of pretty women there.

Rigorous Honesty here folks!!!!

Oh yea, and that sobriety thing too! ;0)
ATL-Male

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery