- I know I'm gonna get blasted but.....

I know I'm gonna get blasted but.....

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

I know I'm gonna get blasted but.....

Postby 918gma » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:20 pm

I have often strugled with one of our AA quotes. I think I get it and then I lose it.........

You can make plans, you just can't plan the outcome. I sorry in the realm of controll freaks, why else would one make plans.
918gma

Re: I know I'm gonna get blasted but.....

Postby Sam » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:08 am

918gma wrote:You can make plans, you just can't plan the outcome.
I prefer
If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
But seriously, trying to "practice these principles in all our affairs" is about getting on with life, making plans, doing boring stuff, doing really interesting stuff AND it's also about rolling with the punches.

The following is kind of the reverse of the quote, but I find it helpful:

I often find myself compelled to take a certain path in my life. I don't mean for one second that I know what's God's will for me is, but sometimes taking a certain action (path) just feels right. My head tells me it's a crazy place to go because the outcome does not seem very appealling.

I start along the path and, suddenly I see some other path with a totally different outcome. I take this path (a different outcome).

On reflection I realise that I would not have seen the second ('better') path UNLESS I had started out on the first one.

1) Pray only for knowledge of God's will and the power to carry out God's will (whatever that may be)

2) Make a plan, some plan, any plan that feels right (and the "feels right" bit is the difficult bit and worth bouncing off an older sober member - you don't have to take their advice but listen anyway - it may give you another plan)

3) Pray only for knowledge of God's will and the power to carry out God's will

4) Start along the path

5) Expect the unexpected (but don't get too disappointed if it does turn out to be the outcome you expected - confusing I know).

It was told to me, and I have found, that letting go is not always about losing something - it's about being willing to lose it. . . I may wind up keeping it if it's right for me.
Sam

Thank you

Postby 918gma » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:17 am

Like I said it has been explained to me a thousand times, at least now I have it writing, and well said too. Thank you for taking the time.
918gma

Postby Dallas » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:21 am

I'm sure you're quite aware that I would have to jump in here on this one!!

On the days that I don't have a plan... it's because on those days I have procrastination, sloth, and envy.... that someone other than me has what I wanted or felt I deserved... but I wasn't willing to plan and work to have what I wanted!!!

Now Mr. Zip... this is NOT for you... because I heard this way before your birth into the land of the Living Sober!!! (Means... doesn't pertain to you my friend).... and has nothing to do with your post!!! So... don't get nerved up by it!

When I was new in AA... I would hear Oldtimers say, "If you wanna make God laugh... show Him your plans." They were usually the one's who had been around for years... but were restless, irritable, discontented, and real sour-pusses on life. And, when I would hear them say it, I thought they were using it as an self-justified excuse for being miserable and having nothing.... but physical sobriety.

Now... when I think of "If you want to make God laugh, show Him your plans" I interpret it as "That's because the results and outcomes that He gives to those who plan... and work for it... is way better than anything they could have imagined for themselves. So, if He laughs, it's because He's laughing at how they short-changed theirselves in regards to what they thought they could achieve."

"God grant me the willingness and courage to plan and work to have the things that I pray for!"

Procrastination and Sloth are the two stickiest character defects for me... and when I ask God to remove them (daily)... His reply to me is "Then get your damn To Do List for the day done.... or else you'll spend the day in procrastination, sloth, misery and confusion. And, by the end of the day, you'll be worse off than you were when you started it... when you start it without a plan."

The idea of the "Daily To-Do List" and "Short-range and Long-range planning was drilled into me by my sponsor. I used to think "And you think a stupid daily To Do List will help a much more educated and advanced form of Human Being such as me?" (No. I was not dumb enough to say that to my Sponsor... I only did it in my head).

Then, one day... while following the Daily Instructions found in the Big Book, on pages 83-88... I discovered that what my Sponsor was telling me to do... was written down in specific details in the Big Book.... "How to do it" (is what I call it). And, you can sure tell the difference in my Life, when I'm doing it and when I'm not doing it! The results and outcomes are nothing less than amazing!

Oops! :oops: Sorry for sharing too much! :lol:

Thanks for letting me hang out here!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Sam » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:14 am

"...it's because He's laughing at how they short-changed theirselves in regards to what they thought they could achieve."

Yep - that's how I read it too :)
Sam

Postby JR » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:54 am

Make plans, set goals, follow through. Do it all day long every day of the week, but there is absolutely no way you can possibly know what the future holds.

I don't think it is just that something more wonderful than you thought could happen, but something more horrible than you thought could happen too.

We follow directions in the BB and 12X12 and learn from the experience, strength and hope of those who have gone before us. We do the steps, practice the principles and do what is in front of us to do from waking up, suiting up, showing up, preparing for the future by saving money or whatever.

Nobody knows what the future holds regardless of the plans we have made. The steps help us to accept, with grace, dignity and sobriety whatever comes our way whether we label it good or bad.

Love Each Day,

Jr
JR

Postby Rusty Zipper » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:29 am

np Dallas, no nerved up... what i do know is theres, this way, that way, and a whole way i never thought about...outcome=Gods way... i stil a bit sad about my friends passing... again outcome, TPTB's Way...love you all, Z
Rusty Zipper

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:48 am

Hey Zip,

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I'm always at such a loss of words, or the right words to say, and I feel awkward when I try to express condolences, that sometimes, I wonder if it's best for me to just be silent with my thoughts.

I relate and identify with the feelings that you have but I have difficulty in writing about it. So, perhaps, I can just say, "I understand. I've been there, too."

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:41 am

thanks Dallas Bro... ya da Best :D
Rusty Zipper

plans vs outcome

Postby recoveredbygrace » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:12 pm

I made plenty of plans in the past
and I planned the outcome too
it never happened the way I planned
I got sore