- Those confusing slogans and sayings!

Those confusing slogans and sayings!

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Those confusing slogans and sayings!

Postby Dallas » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:33 am

When I was new in AA, a lot of the little slogans and sayings used to confuse the heck out of me.

When I was new in AA, a lot of the little slogans and sayings used to confuse the heck out of me. Some of the sayings used to help me grow. And, some seemed to stunt my growth. It took me a long time, a lot of meetings, talking with a lot of alcoholics, and experimenting for myself to come to an understanding of the sayings, as I understood them!

One of the reasons they seemed confusing was sometimes they would get jumbled up together and said at the same time and they just didn’t make sense. Other times, it seemed that it was senseless people quoting senseless sayings.

Here are a few of the one’s that it took a while for me to figure out what they meant to me, and what they have come to mean to me now.

“Let go and Let God.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:52 pm

hey, great post Dallas... you must'a been a mess? lol... one of the dopey slogans that i got a kick out's is... " Utilize, not Analize"... my bigest problem as i know now was me. and when new. i had to figure out everything. the buz'n in my brain was intence. wonder i didn't pick up over it all... i now know different... i took the cotton out of my ears, and put it in my mouth. lol ... well most of da time :roll: xo ya's... Zip'y :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Re: Those confusing slogans and sayings!

Postby snpk69 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:21 pm

Nice post Dallas. Thanks for sharing.
snpk69

Postby JR » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:03 am

Let Go, Let God —
Fear Less, Love More
(Author Unknown)

To let go doesn't mean to stop caring; it means I can't do it for someone else.

To let go is not to cut myself off; it’s the realization that I can’t control another.

To let go is not enable, but to allow learning from natural consequences.

To let go is to admit powerlessness, which means the outcome is not in my hands.

To let go is not to try to change or blame another; it’s to make the most of myself.

To let go is not to care for, but to care about.

To let go is not to fix, but to be supportive.

To let go is not to judge, but to allow another to be a human being.

To let go is not to be in the middle, arranging all the outcomes, but to allow others to affect their own destinies.

To let go is not to be protective; it is to permit another to face reality.

To let go is not to deny, but to accept.

To let go is not to nag, scold, or argue, but instead to search out my own shortcomings and correct them.

To let go is not to adjust everything to my desires, but to take each day as it comes, and to cherish myself in it.

To let go is not to regret the past, but to grow and live for the future.

To let go is to fear less and to love more.
JR

Postby Dallas » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:46 am

I still don't get it, even when it's worded that way. It's confusing to me.

What do any of those things have to do with "Let Go and Let God?"

Couldn't I still do those things, without adding the "Let Go and Let God" bit?

Perhaps, for me, when I'm tempted to do the "Let Go and Let God" thing...

I start thinking in terms of "some things are God's things to do" and "some things are my things to do."

I get in real trouble when I start thinking like that... because then, I start placing expectations on God, and on what God is "supposed to do" and "what God's job is" rather than searching for "what my job is."

The last big major fight that I had with God, (which lasted for years and years) was over what "I thought God was supposed to be doing, and what God's job is" in relation to what I was doing.

I had determined that I was doing my job, but God wasn't doing His job, so I said "To heck with Him!" It took a real long time for me to patch things up with God after that.

Me and God made an agreement when we finally patched things up... I would focus on what I'm supposed to be doing..."my job" instead of trying to figure out what God's job is, or what God might or might not be doing.

If I could figure out and understand what God's business is... I'd probably be trying to be Him, again! And, for me, that's a really dangerous, and senseless thing for me to be doing!

So... perhaps... that's why I don't get the "Let Go and Let God" stuff.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby JR » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:22 am

Dallas,

What you are saying is Let go let God. I don't know God's business or his mind or his plans. We do our part, to the best of our ability, and let it go into the hands of a Power greater than ourselves to do with what He will.

Let go let God is from a small paragraph in the BB about step six. Step six is the step that "separates the men from the boys." Step six in the 12X12 tells me to increase my demands of character building on myself. It tells me to work very hard at evaluating my character and improving upon it using the tools I have been given. Then, AFTER ALL THAT I CAN DO, I leave it in God's hands. Perhaps God needs my imperfections, perhaps not, I do not know. It is a mystery.

Step six is not about making excuses for my behavior and "turning it over" it is about stepping up to the plate and doing my very best on a daily basis come hell or high water. Yes, I will fail. But, my alcoholism has forced me to throw away the option of not trying, with a will, every day to do the very best I know or can learn.

So, for me, let go let God is something to be done at the end of the day when I have done my best and seemingly failed. To realize that I am in the hands of a Power Greater than myself whose will I do not know. When I wake up in the morning I say the 3rd and 7th step prayer and it is the last thing I say at night.

"God, I offer myself to thee to build with me and to do with me as thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self that I may better do thy will. Take away my difficulties that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of thy power thy love and thy way of life. May I do thy will always". I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength as I go out from here to do your bidding. Amen." To me, these prayers are the essence of let go let God.

Love each day,

XOXOX,

Jr
JR

Postby Dallas » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:53 pm

We do our part, to the best of our ability, and let it go into the hands of a Power greater than ourselves to do with what He will.

I guess that would be a metaphor?

Here is an illustration example of my experience:

I run in a foot race. I run the best that I can. Another runner runs in the race and he runs the best that he can.

I finished in 5 minutes and 21 seconds.
He finishes in 4 minutes and 56 seconds.

The clock determines who ran the fastest time in the race.

What does God's hands have to do with it?

My results are mine. The other runner's results are his.

He won the race.

What am I letting go of?

And, if I could figure out how to "Let Go Let God" how would the results be any different than if I didn't "Let Go Let God"?

Would God somehow mess with the clock after the race?

On another note: In the Big Book, I've never found "Let Go and Let God" or "Let Go Let God" ... in regards to Step 6.

Help me out here!

I'm not trying to be difficult. A long time ago, I had been saying the "Let Go and Let God" thing, because I heard it in conversation, and saw it on bumper stickers. Then, once, when doing the daily 10th Step Inventories, I began asking myself why I said it, and what it really meant to me.

The closest thing I could come up with was: "I do the best I can, I accept that that's the best I did, and look for a way to do it better. Until I do it better, I don't worry about it. And, if there is a sincere reason that I should be really concerned about it... (to the point of worry) worrying won't help. I increase my efforts to find a way to do it better. If there is no way that I can do it better... I accept it and move on."

If that's the same thing, as "Let Go Let God"... it's less confusing to me, if I just "Let it go" (meaning let go of thinking and being concerned about it).

However, if I "Let Go Let God" ... I'll still be thinking about it... and then, later... I'll be tempted to blame God for whatever the outcome was. When I "Let Go and Let God" I have a tendency to start expecting favors from God. When I "Let Go and Let God" I have a tendency to procrastinate and avoid taking responsibility or being accountable for my own efforts.

Perhaps, those are some of my own character defects and shortcomings that interfere with me doing the "Let Go and Let God" thing... and perhaps people without my flavor of shortcomings, or character defects can do the "Let Go and Let God" thing in a positive way.

Who knows... maybe I'll take a nap and wake up Letting Go and Letting God!!!! Change!!! I just love it!!!

There is one saying that doesn't confuse me!!! (And, never did) :roll: It's "Live and Let Live!" Now... that one... for me, and to me, has tons of understandable meaning!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby JR » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:01 pm

The short paragraph about step six in the BB is the Let Go Let God paragraph. BB pg. 76"Are we ready to LET GOD remove from us all the things which we have admitted are objectionable? Can He now take them all - every one? If we still cling to something we will not LET GO, we ask God to help us be willing".

More later.

Love Each Day,

JR
JR

Postby JR » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:23 pm

Let go let God is a saying that keeps us humble. God's grace changes us, we don't change all by ourselves. I don't know how it works, but it is what the BB says. The primary purpose of the BB is to get a Higher Power that will solve our problem. Our problem is our lack of character or our character defects once the alcohol has been removed. If I am solving my problem all by myself, why do I need to let God?

Let go (become willing, become entirely ready) is step 6. Let God is humbly ask God to remove my shortcomings in step 7. It is about defects of character, not a foot race. It is not about getting money or a mate. It is not about the starving or wretched. It is about our character defects.

If we overcome a defect of character or through the steps get an instinct in line with its proper function, we can only take credit for becoming willing and doing the work required by the 12 steps. Gods grace is what makes the actual change. We can take credit for practicing the principles in our lives, but there seems to be a point that requires an intervention by God for us alcoholics.

Are you sober by your actions only, or by the Grace of God?
If you try to remove God from the program of action, then you really have something different than what is in the BB and I'm not sure it will work for alcoholics.

Love each day,

Jr
JR

Postby Dallas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:18 am

JR wrote:Are you sober by your actions only, or by the Grace of God?
If you try to remove God from the program of action, then you really have something different than what is in the BB and I'm not sure it will work for alcoholics.

I wouldn't think of taking God out of anything, not even Alcoholic's Anonymous. :)

I am grateful, that God did provide a "Spiritual Program of Action" for some of us who just don't get the "Religious Program(s) of Action" that have been around for thousands of years... before Alcoholics Anonymous, and that God was merciful enough in his gift to some of us, that He made room for us, by including the concept of "God as we understood Him" and didn't force us to believe in "God As You Understand Him."

I am also grateful, that many of the Pioneer AA Members, who made up the first AA Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous, later went back for the Second Edition of the book, and included:

[quote="Big Book, page 569, 3rd. Edition"]
SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE

The terms “spiritual experienceâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery