- A.A.

A.A.

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

A.A.

Postby Dallas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:39 am

A.A.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS is a fellowship designed and administered by a bunch of ex-drunks whose only qualifications for membership is that they can’t hold their liquor and don’t want to learn how. It has no rules, dues, or fees; nor anything else any sensible organization seems to require. At meetings the speakers start out on one subject and wind up talking about something entirely different and conclude by saying they don’t know anything about the program except that it works! The groups are almost always broke, yet always seem to have money to carry on. They are always losing members but seem to grow. They claim A.A. is a selfish program but its members always seem to be doing something for others.

Every group passes laws, rules, edicts and pronouncements which everyone blithely ignores; members who disagree with anything are privileged to walk out in a huff, quitting forever, only to return as if nothing happened and be greeted accordingly. Nothing is ever planned 24 hours in advance, yet great projects are born and survive magnificently. Nothing in A.A. is according to Hoyle. How can it survive?

Perhaps it’s because we have learned to live and laugh at ourselves. God made man – He made laughter too. Perhaps He is pleased with our disorganized efforts and makes things right no matter who pushes the wrong button. Maybe He is pleased with our trying to be nobody but ourselves. We don’t know how it works, but it does, and members keep receiving their dividend checks from their A.A. investments. It is smart to be sober, and much easier to stay sober than it is to get sober!

-----------------------

This above is a rather amusing definition of AA written a few years ago by a member with a wry sense of humor, but it does have a few insights that are quite interesting. (It’s no wonder that non-members can figure it out!)

--------------------

Understanding Life (One in a series)

a) A great goal in maturing is trying to achieve the ability to be comfortable with people you don’t like; b) By the time you’re old, you know just about everything... it’s just too bad you can’t remember it; c) Get up every morning and check out Forbes Magazine’s list of America’s richest people... if you’re not on it, better go to work. d) A note to remember about your sponsor... they are designed to be reasoning people not reasonable people.

:lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tina L. » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:02 am

hi dallas :lol: thank u for this one. i made copies of this 1 and took them to the club i some times go 2. they really like it when i print copies of the things that you post on the web sight. thank u for all that u do. :wink: xoxoxo luv u tina
Tina L.

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:47 am

hi Tina, keep up the work!... mr BB, ya slay'n me on this one... rotflmass'a'... hey Dallas, sound like this guy was a member of my home group.... lol... lado Einstein... xxoo PC :roll:
Rusty Zipper

Hello

Postby Spiritman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:49 am

This posting is great Dallas!
May I use it in the prison AA newsletter in NC?
I will use your name: Dallas (as it is on the web)
Thanks for sharing this wonder post.

I have been away for a couple of weeks. I have missed these pages, yet I have been at meetings!

I'll be around for a while again.

Peace,

The Spiritman
Spiritman

Postby Rusty Zipper » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:11 am

The spirit, welcome home... nice to hear from ya.... see soon... xxoo (_z_)
Rusty Zipper

Postby Dallas » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:47 am

Spiritman, nice to see you back!!!

I'm not the original author of that piece. Not sure who wrote it or when. It was passed on to me and I passed it on. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Good morning

Postby Spiritman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:08 pm

Last night was a special night for me.
Hannah, my 7 years old grand daughter and I went camping in the back yard. She helped set the tent up, actually she supervised... It's a long wonderful story, but here is the delight for the 12 Step Forum. As we sat at the fire roasting marshmellows I was thanked for being a good grandpa: "Grandpa, this is fun, I'm glad you go to AA." Then as stars creeped along and the marshmellows roasted she would say things like: "Easy Does It", "One Day at a Time", and then she asked me to say the the Serenity Prayer with her.
She does go to meetings with me, especially noon meetings when she is out of school.

It is a true blessing to be sober.

Peace,
The Spiritman
Spiritman

Postby Dallas » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:59 pm

Thanks for sharing Spiritman,

That's awesome stuff!!!
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery