- Lyle's witticisms

Lyle's witticisms

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Lyle's witticisms

Postby wareagle10 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:58 am

From Lyle Bauers book "The Daily Reprieve", a couple of witticisms that hold a great deal of truth regarding our disease, hope you enjoy them.

Recovery is contagious. We catch it from coffee cups.

Wherever you go - there you are; even when I leave - I'm still there.

Recovery has to be for ourselves, if my recovery is not for me then its not recovery.

Even if you can't believe in God, can you believe you ain''t him?

Before I became humble, I was blind to my arrogance, I'm so glad all of thats changed.

Lyle made this book to give a little humor and truisms to help the alcoholic in times when he/she might be alone and in need of some humor or a mini meeting. I have used this book when I was feeling depressed or sorry for poor me and there has always been something there that pulled me back to reality and let me know how really fortunate I am that I am not out "there" anymore.
Take care and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

Lyles Witticisms

Postby wareagle10 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:45 am

A little more from Lyle's book, "The Daily Reprieve". Ever wonder where AA came from?

AA was not invented. It's basics were brought to us through the experience and wisdom of many great friends. We simply borrowed and adapted their ideas. ---Bill W.----

Sermon on The Mount; Emmit Fox
Variety of Spiritual Experience; William James
Tis Believing World; Louis Brown
The Common Sense of Drinking; Richard R. Peabody

These are the four books Bill used as reference when he wrote The Big Book. He also wrote "As a society we must never become so vain as to suppose that we are authors and inventors of a new religion. We will humbly reflect that every one of AA's principles have been borrowed from ancient sources.
Source of this information--a talk by Jimmy Burwell in 1955

Take care and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery