- Daily Reflections

Daily Reflections

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Wed May 03, 2006 1:10 pm

Good morning, i found the post where i was going to post "everyday", thanks D, had forgotten about this..and today's is good, i have been learning about this the last couple of weeks..

"Cleaning House"

Somehow being alone with GOD doesn't seem as embarrassing as facing up to another person. Until we actually sit down and talk aloud about what we have so long hidden, our willingness to clean house is largely theoretical. (BB pg. 60)

It wasn't unusual for me to talk to to GOD and my self about my character defects. But to sit down, face to face, and openly discuss these intimacies with another person was much more difficult. I recognized in the experience, however, a similar relief to the one i had experienced when i first admitted i was an alcoholic. I began to appreciate the spiritual significance of the program and that this Step was just an introduction to what was yet to come in the remaining seven Steps.
From "Daily Reflections" Pg. 132 (May 3, 2006)

Have a great day..Tonya
1dayatatime36

Postby Dallas » Wed May 03, 2006 1:43 pm

Thanks for those posts, Tonya!!! I got a lot out of them and I appreciate you taking the time to post the messages! It helped me! I'll come back again later today and read them more slowly... but it was nice to find them while I'm in a hurry now!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Wow

Postby 918gma » Thu May 04, 2006 3:54 am

Hey guys, this is some great stuff. A good friend remanded me recently that I need to get back into the post swing. I can see now how far behind I am. You guys are great

When I read the first post from Tonya from the daily reflections, my thoughts went to happiness is an inside job. I struggled with that concept for a long time. I still forget from time to time. But its true my happiness at any given moment is my choice. No matter what is going on at the time. I can controll my aditude about it, with HP's grace, I can be happy and positive. And it will have an effect on how I see things, and react to them. It's not always easy, but its worth it every time. :D
918gma

Postby Dallas » Thu May 04, 2006 4:42 am

“Happiness is not having what I want... it’s wanting what I have!â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Thu May 04, 2006 5:42 am

You bet'cha!!!

Ain't nothing original or unique in me! I've either begged, borrowed or stole it from someone else!
Dallas
Site Admin

Entirely Honest

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Thu May 04, 2006 3:38 pm

"ENTIRELY HONEST"

We must be entirely honest with somebody if we expect to live long or happily in this world. BB pg. 73-74

Honesty, like all virtues, is to be shared. It began after I shared "...####### whole life's story with someone..." in order to find my place in the Fellowship. Later I shared my life in order to help the newcomer find his place with us. This sharing helps me to learn honesty in all my dealings and to know that GOD's plan for me comes true through honest openness and willingness.

Daily Reflections May 4, 2006 pg. 133

Honesty is probably the hardest for me and not being honest is what kept me drinking time and time again..even now, i find it very hard to be absolute in my honesty about many things, and i am working on that everyday, and i think that is what is keeping me sober today, being honest about how hard it is to be honest and to be aware that it is something that i have to work on everyday..Thanks for letting me share, Tonya
1dayatatime36

Postby Dallas » Thu May 04, 2006 8:21 pm

Tonya wrote: being honest about how hard it is to be honest and to be aware that it is something that i have to work on everyday

Thank you, Tonya, for taking the time to post that message and to share with us!!! I really get a lot out of the messages that you post, and I appreciate you taking the time and using your willingness to share!

That's quite a statement "being honest about how hard it is to be honest and to be aware that it is something that i have to work on everyday"

I sure understand that one!!! Daily effort = daily progress. And, it's something that I must do every day, or I'll automatically slip back in to my old way of living life... and, then, I'll automatically become uncomfortable... restless, irritable and discontented.

For me, now... it is a lot easier for me to stay sober... than it would be for me to get sober. I don't sit around thinking about drinking anymore... but, I could be doing that and would be doing that... if I neglect to take the effort to make daily progress in areas like honesty.

The pain from being honest has never been as great as the pain that I went through to get sober! Even though, at times honesty can be painful.

Sometimes, in some areas of my life, I've discovered that it's wise for me to seek counsel from my sponsor in regards to honesty, and in the approach that I use to "make amends or to clean up something that I've been dishonest about." Left to my own devices, I've proved to myself over and over again... that even though what I'm attempting to do... might be a good idea... it may not be practical, and could have damaging results... if I proceed to counsel myself in critical areas. I guess I call that "trying to do the right thing... but doing the right thing backwards." My motives and intentions can be good... but I can make things worse because of my inexperience.

Perhaps it's Life's way of trying to teach me humility... in the sense that "I need other people in my life, and the guidance of other people... if I truly want to live happy, joyous and free." You see, if I could do it all on my own... I wouldn't need other people... and when I think I don't need other people... I'll soon begin to think I don't need God... and as soon as I begin to think that I don't need God... I'll probably start believing or acting in such a way, as to think that "I am God." So by needing and using the help of other people... it helps to remind me that "I'm not God."
Oh what a relief that is!

Thanks for letting me share!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Fri May 05, 2006 1:08 pm

THE FOREST AND THE TREES

. . . what comes to us alone may be garbled by our own rationalization and wishful thinking. The benefit of talking to another person is that we can get his direct comment and counsel on our situations... 12 Steps & 12 Traditions pg. 60

I cannot count the times when I have been angry and frustrated and said to myself, "I can't see the forest for the trees!" I finally realized that what I needed when I was in such pain was someone who could guide me in separtating the forest and the trees; who could suggest a better path to follow; who could assist me in putting out fires; and help me avoid the rocks and pitfalls.
I ask GOD, when I'm in the forest, to give me th courage to call upon a member of A.A.

Well, since i myself still have trouble with this one, i will not touch the greatness in it..It is odd to me though that when i was drinking, i spent 90% of my time on the phone calling anybody and anyone who would listen to my drunken stupor, now, sober, i find it so hard to call someone when i need to talk..wow, how baffling alcohol is..thanks for let me share..have a wonderful day, GOD Bless..Tonya
1dayatatime36

Postby Dallas » Fri May 05, 2006 3:01 pm

It seems like each time I log on and see the little colored icon indicating “there is a new postâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Sat May 06, 2006 2:05 pm

HOLD BACK NOTHING

The real tests of the situation are your own willingness to confide and your full confidence in the one with whom you share your first accurate self-survey. . .Provided you hold back nothing, your sense of relief will mount from minute to minute. The dammed-up emothions of years break out of their confinement, and miraculously vianish as soon as they are exposed. As the pain subsides, a healing tranquility takes it place.
12&12 Traditions pg. 61-62

A tiny kernel of locked-in feelings began to unfold when i first attended AA meetings and self-knowledge then became a learning task for me. This new self-understanding brought about a change in my responses to life's situations. I realized I had the right to make choices in my life, adn the inner dictatorship of habits slowly lost its grip
I believe that if I seek GOD I can find a better way to live and I ask HIM daily to assist me in living a sober life.
DAILY REFLECTIONS MAY 6, 2006 Pg. 135

Not being in the program very long, i am still working on holding nothing back, there are things that i have to come to understand before i feel that i can share with another, and that may very well be holding me back on my progress, but slowly, I am coming around to sharing moments in my life that will only help me to forgive myself and move on..My most importance, to me, right now is stay in sobriety, and along with that sobriety, is a better way of life, i dont want to be sober and still suffer all the feelings that go with being drunk, or an active alcoholic..GOD is my way, and so far, HE has done for me what I could never have done for myself..Thank you letting me share, Have a great day..Tonya
1dayatatime36

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery