- Daily Reflections

Daily Reflections

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Buck V » Sat May 06, 2006 3:38 pm

Tonya,

You're singing my song. I am still struggling with forgiving myself. The only way I can do so is to realize that the God of my understanding has already forgiven me. Were it not for that I wouldn't be sitting here. Sharing my deepest and darkest with another human being is essential for this program according to the BB and 12x12, and I did it, and will continue to do it. But for me, it wasn't the sharing that helped me out so much as the exercise of sitting down and and putting in black and white all those skeletons. Those pencil marks are real. They list what I am and what I've done or haven't done. They're not being analyzed, ripped apart, scrutinized, shrugged off, ignored or anything else by that committee in my head. I also use my God Box a lot.When I first heard about God Boxes, I thought it was more in a metaphorical way, but one day I actually made one and I keep it at work. Whenever something bothers me or worries me, or perplexes me, I jot it down on a piece of paper, get the committee away from it, and toss it in my God Box and let Him handle it. Just writing it down sometimes does the trick, but He always answers, good or bad. Kind of silly but it works for me.

Take care, Tonya and God bless.

Buck
Buck V

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Sat May 06, 2006 5:39 pm

Who knows Buck, we might make a soundly duet :D
You know, i have never heard about a "GOD box", but i may think about giving that a try..go to any lengths, right? I know i started writing things down just about a week or so ago, and what my eyes beheld was astonishing, but i was having a problem with as i looked back, there would be "tiny" things (in a normal world) but HUGE in recovery, that i was leaving out..wether i am conscious of it or not, they were missing..so, i realized, 'hey tonya, you aren't really telling the whole truth there', so, yeah, i am really working on that..I know i have been forgiven by the GRACE of GOD, but wow, is it hard to forgive myself..but i don't want that to be a mountain i can't climb, i want to trudge it with all earnesty and as honestly as i can..thanks for sharing, and i will let you know how that box works out..Take care, glad you are here to share..Tonya
1dayatatime36

Postby Dallas » Sun May 07, 2006 1:26 am

Hey Buck and Tonya!!!! I just love it when you two share!!! Thanks for posting your messages and sharing your experience with me... and us... I don't know how much it helps you... but it sure does a world of good for me to read your experiences!!!! Keep posting back!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Sun May 07, 2006 12:17 pm

RESPECT FOR OTHERS

Such parts of our story we tell to someone who will understand, yet be unaffected. The rule is we must be hard on ourself, but always considerate of others. BB pg. 74

Respect for others is the lesson that I take out of this passage. I must go to any lengths to free myself if I wish to find that peace of mind that I have sought for so long. However, none of this must be done at another's expense. Selfishness has no place in the A.A. way of life.
When I take the Fith Step it's wiser to choose a person with whom I share common aims becuause if that person does not understand me, my spiritual progress may be delayed and I could be in danger of a relapse. So, I ask for divine guidance before choosing the man or woman whom I take into my confidence.

Daily Reflections Pg. 136 Sunday May 7, 2006

For me i think that i judge others too quickly, not in a mean way, or hateful way, but i look for things about them, maybe things in them that i see in myself, which comes from my old way of thinking. I have to remind myself many times to take the time to let another speak, always trying to control the conversation, another old way of thinking, manipulation that may be. Being new to A.A., and the Steps, i find it hard to relate to others simply because i have never really tried to get sober before, so when i hear others, i am thinking wow, could you really have done that or been that way..and i know it is true, i think i am feeling fear that maybe, that could of been me, and could still be if i dont continue working the Steps and staying in contact with my HP and the fellowship. Thanks for letting me share, have a wonder day.
1dayatatime36

Postby Dallas » Sun May 07, 2006 3:47 pm

Guess what, Tonya? Every morning when I wake up and read what you post... the message seems to have everything to do with my day... and I've been carrying these thoughts with me throughout my day... and it's making a difference for me! So, thank you for giving your time to post them! It's helping me to get better and experience better!

Respect for others is the lesson that I take out of this passage. I must go to any lengths to free myself if I wish to find that peace of mind that I have sought for so long. However, none of this must be done at another's expense. Selfishness has no place in the A.A. way of life.

This is one of the examples of what I'm talking about! Just imagine how much better my day will be... today... if I practice that one principle alone? I'll feel better about myself. I will be less likely to create situations in relationships with others, that I feel uncomfortable about. And, I'm sure that others would appreciate it also... if I practice this principle today! So... I'm off to start exploring and using this principle!!!!

Thank you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby blueangel » Sun May 07, 2006 4:29 pm

thank you tonya for this interesting post today. every now and then I think the daily reflections was written for me. todays was the reminder to be kinder, more tolerant, and more understanding to everything and everyone in my life.

It never ceases to amaze my how I will be at the very least nice to 99% of everyone i meet in my days and a total beast to that one person that may need some kindness the most.

I'm a stubborn one that needs a huge whack a big hammer sometimes to practice true tolerance to everyone i pass in my days.

i'm making this short, since it's taken me 20 minutes to type this :lol:
Have a great day everyone and God Bless, Kay
blueangel

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Mon May 08, 2006 2:26 pm

A RESTING PLACE
All of A.A.'s Twelve Steps ask us to go contrary to our natural desires. . . they all deflate our egos. When it comes to ego deflation, few Steps are harder to take than Five. But scarcely any Step is more necessary to longtime sobriety and peace of mind than this one.
12&12 Traditions p.55

After writing down my character defects, I was unwilling to talk about them, and decided it was time to stop carrying this burden alone. I needed to confess those defects to someone else. I had read--and been told--I could not stay sober unless I did. Step Five provided me with a feeling of belonging, with humility and serenity when I practiced it in my daily living. It was important to admit my defects of character in the order presented in Step Five: "to GOD, to ourselves and to another human being." Admitting to GOD first paved the way for admission to myself and to another person. As the taking of the Step is described, a feeling of being at one with GOD and my fellow man brought me to a resting place where I coiuld prepare myself for the remaining Steps toward a full and meaningful sobriety.
Daily Reflections May8, 2006 Pg. 137

Hoping all of you enjoy this message, Have a wonderful and happy week.
Thank you for letting me share these daily reflections, it helps me a lot as well when i have to type them because i have to do it over so many times, bad typing skills, that i get more out of it than just reading and rereading it..GOD Bless, Tonya
1dayatatime36

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Tue May 09, 2006 2:20 pm

WALKING THROUGH FEAR

If we still cling to something we will not let go, we ask GOD to help us be willing.
BB Pg. 76

When I had taken my Fifth Step, I became aware that all my defects of character stemmed from my need to feel secure and loved. To use my will alone to work on them would have been trying obsessively to solve the problem. In the Sixth Step I intensified the action I had taken in the first three Steps--meditating on the Step by saying it over and over, going to meetings, following my sponsor's suggestions, reading and searching within myself. During the first three years of sobriety I had a fear of entering an elevator alone. One day I decided I must walk through this fear. I asked for GOD's help, entered the elevator, and there in the corner was a lady crying. She said that since her husband had died she was deathly afraid of elevators. I forgot my fear and comforted her. This spiritual experience helped me to see how willingness was the key to working the rest of the Twelve Steps to recovery. GOD helps those who help themselves.
Daily Reflections May 9, 2006 Pg. 138

Well, for me my fear is recovery..one of my fears anyway..well, let me rephrase that, my fear is failing at recovery..I seem to have the hardest problem of letting things go, turning them over to my HP..although it is getting easier, a tiny bit easier, I feel that if i continue doing what I am doing I have an awesome chance at recovery..in the past i have always started something, only to never follow through because of this one thing, fear of failure..rejection, even the change that would come with it..so, everyday i am asking GOD to help me remove that fear, that blockage, so that i can have what so many others have found through the Steps of A.A. I have a lot of up and down days, and in the first couple of weeks of getting sober, i was told I would have them, and it is easier to put the Steps to work for me on those days, I am just asking GOD to help me through it, surround me with his presence, and guide me through the day to do HIS will, not my own, otherwise, i wouldn't be sober today, and today i am grateful to be sober..and grateful for all of you..Have a wonderful day..Tonya
1dayatatime36

Postby Dallas » Tue May 09, 2006 4:46 pm

Thank you for sharing Tonya! And, thank you for all that you do! I appreciate you!

It does get better... it really does!

When you do your 4th Step, one part of that Step is on Fear. Be sure to list this Fear on your Fears list!

From our previous conversations and your messages, I ask... "Are you keeping a journal?"

A Daily Journal is a great tool in recovery! Had I kept one earlier in sobriety... I would have been able to compare how many really good days I was having with the difficult days I was having. You know, like "keeping score!" And, I would have had a reference that I could have looked at... to notice how much my life was getting better in reality... verses my perception of how much it was getting better.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Wed May 10, 2006 5:58 pm

FREE AT LAST

Another great dividend we may expect from confiding our defects to another human being is humility-a word often misunderstood. . .it amounts to a clear recognition of what and who we really are, followed by a sincere attempt to become what we could be.
12&12 Traditions pg.58

I knew deep inside that if I were ever to be joyous, happy and free, i had to share my past life with some other individual. The joy and relief i experienced after doing so were beyond description. Almost immediately after taking the Fifth Step, i felt free from the bondage of self and the bondage of alcohol. That freedom remains after 36 years, a day at a time. I found that GOD could do for me what i couldn't do for myself.
Daily Reflections May 10, 2006 Pg.139

I hope you enjoy today's reading and it helps you through your day. I look forward to the freedom that is promised to me through working the Steps. I look forward to not being a prisoner of alcohol and to live my life joyous, happy and free..and i know that it will come, maybe not today, or tomorrow, but it will come as long as I follow the suggestions of the 12 Steps..have a wonderful day everyone..Take care, GOD Bless..Tonya
1dayatatime36

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery