- Recovery

Recovery

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Recovery

Postby Dallas » Sat May 20, 2006 4:47 am

I was browsing around on our site here, and noticed that topics like "What happens when you fail" and "Relapsed" sure get active with a lot of messages posted to them!

So... my head went to work on "I wonder how much activity and how many posts a vital topic like "Recovery" would get. :wink: Hey... you know... hopefully, that's why we're all here, and it's one thing that we have in common... the solution... the 12 Steps... recovery!

I've noticed, that both on our website here... and many times in discussion meetings... it seems like positive topics don't get as much activity... or as much interest as negative topics do.

Maybe it's just an illusion to me... or my own perception... so, I thought I'd check it out by starting a Message thread on "Recovery!" and see what happens.

Will it just get a few nibbles? A couple of bites? Or... will it be as interesting as the topics like "What do I do now that I've failed and drinking again!" :roll:

Over the years... my own personal experience has been... "I attract and manifest what I think about." To me, that's why things like fears and resentments are so deadly to alkies of my type. If I'm thinking about my fears and resentments... I attract more of them!

If I'm spending more of my time thinking about the 12 Steps, Recovery, Serenity, Peace of Mind, God, or what I want... rather than what I don't want... I tend to attract more of that also!

As I was looking at all the messages posted to topics like "Relapsed" and "Failed"... I started wondering... if we might have less relapses, and less fails... if we began to focus our attention... and keep it focused... on recovering.

Have you ever been driving down the road... headed to where you wanted to go... and your mind started drifting off on things other than where you were headed... and suddenly... just our of the blue... you forgot where you were going? It's happened to me before. It's been a while since it's happened... but I sure do remember it happening! And, I was sober when it happened!

As a metaphor, I guess it could be kind of like... I was headed to New York City... from Los Angeles... and my mind was drifting along on ideas about Orlando... and the next thing I discovered... was... I missed an important exit... and suddenly I'm having to back-track and drive an extra 90 miles to get back on course to end up in New York City. If I had kept my mind on where I was headed... I wouldn't have made the mistake.

Now, if I use that metaphor in regards to staying sober... if I was headed down the Sober Pathway... and I was thinking about relapse... I might end up somewhere that I didn't want to be... like having to start over again!

Thanks for letting me share... Next?

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Buck V » Sat May 20, 2006 7:17 pm

You know, recovery for me isn't just stopping drinking. To be honest the physical not taking of a drink is not that hard for me. I just don't do it. The hard part is this cleaning up the garbage of my past and learning how to live my life as my higher power intended. In the forward to the 12x12, pgs 15-16 it says "Many people, nonalcoholics, report that as a result of AA's Twelve Steps, they have been able to meet other difficulties of life. They think that the Twelve Steps can mean more than sobriety for problem drinkers. They see in them a way to happy an effective living for many, alcoholic or not." If I "practice these principles in all [my] affairs." (step 12) not only do I have no desire to drink, but my entire life will improve. I realized that drinking was only a symptom of my disease. Without the steps, I would be nothing but a drunk who wasn't drinking. I think I'd rather be able to drink, and living the steps, rather than sober and not living them. Of course, because of my disease, I can't drink, but what a better world this would be if everyone, alcoholic or not, could practice these steps in one form or another.

I hear a lot of recovering alcoholics say "I'm grateful to be an alcoholic!!" Personally I hate being an alcoholic, I really wish that I could drink like a "normal" person. But I can't. What I am grateful for is that my disease brought me to AA, and the steps. The practicing of the steps is what I've found makes such a profound change in my life. Not drinking is just an added benefit.

Thanks for letting me share.

Buck
Buck V

Postby blueangel » Sun May 21, 2006 1:13 am

What a wonderful topic! :D I love talking recovery, could talk all day about it, but then again I just love to talk :lol: I did notice myself that there did seem to be alot of people heading to those subjects. I had a really sucky week, ya know but it turned out to be all a matter of how I looked at it. Totalled my car out on Wednsday, and pouted about that for a while and made everyone miserable. Ya know what though?. I always hated that car anyway and not 1 hour before said to my passenger that I needed to figure out what the rattle under the hood was. Guess what? The rattle is no more along with the car! I get to buy me a new pretty toy to go play in and actually found out some interesting things in my life that I really NEEDED to know. Bottom line I may be carless for a while and I may only get to be a passenger for a while but I still get to go cruising around like a dog with my ears flopping in the wind and don't even have to drive.

I had a wonderful day today, got to go for a ride with a friend, cleaned my car out so it can get picked up monday by the insurance company, went to lunch, stopped at the store and got home just in time to visit with the my step brother, a precious man, and his incredible 2 chidren. I may be having to rely on my friends for what I need materialistically but But God always takes care of me and my friends never cease to amaze me with how good friends they always have been to me.

I went to a great meeting last night and better fellowship and visiting with the step brother and kids later.

I will always owe my friends in and out of this fellowship for staying tough with me through my ups, downs, and all arounds. :D I just hope they always know I'll be there for them as well.

Oh well I've rattled on forever and don't know know If I'm still on the AA website or just rambling on the coupons savers website. :lol: Nope no aluminum foil on my head so I must be on the AA website. Thanks you Dallas for this topic and for just being you 24/7 :D

Have a great 24 everyone, Kay :D
blueangel

Recovery

Postby wareagle10 » Sun May 21, 2006 1:27 am

Chinese proverb: If you don't change your course you will end up where you're headed.

Take care and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

Postby Rusty Zipper » Mon May 22, 2006 1:08 am

nice shares, xxoo the zip
Last edited by Rusty Zipper on Mon May 22, 2006 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty Zipper

Recovery

Postby Dallas » Mon May 22, 2006 6:14 am

Who want’s to manage the show?

“Being convinced, we were at Step Three, which is that we decided to turn our will and our life over to God as we understood Him. Just what do we mean by that, and just what do we do?â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby cinderbobble » Mon May 22, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks Dallas! My thoughts are, wonder what returned to sanity means? Because if it just means not drinking, then I still stuck with the mind of a chronic alcoholic! No guarantee of return to sanity by just not drinking is there?

I have had a few experiences of which I think were referred to in the BB as 4th dimension of existence, but I didn't stay there - don't reside there, and hope to go there again some time! I mean, talk about being in the absolute present, in the presence! But alas, my mind had other things in mind so to speak. Most of the time, I was doing what SOMEBODY else suggested, for the sake of my sobriety. I believe these were God moments, but I think somebody else would say it was just a brain glitch! I felt though they were a response to doing what the program allows - picking up and using the tools of sobriety.

Thanks for letting me share!
cinderbobble

Postby Tim » Wed May 31, 2006 12:36 am

I try to focus each day on the benefits of sobriety. For a long time in sobriety I had a bad disposition, which I failed to recognize and excused by telling myself that this was normal. Phooey! Or I would say that I was in a bad mood for the first few hours of the morning until I'd had enough caffeine.

I found that I did not have to put up with grumpiness or touchiness, but could release this to my Higher Power. I discovered that this was simply bad behavior and that there is a better pattern of thought available to me to replace a bad disposition.

I was surprised at this, and even more surprised at how relaxed and happier I was to begin acting toward others like a decent human being instead of carrying around the unnecessary baggage of a bad mood. Moodiness, after all, is nothing more than emotional insobriety.

Change doesn't usually happen overnight. Even changes that seem sudden have often been establishing roots for a long time and emerge from the soil of 12-step work into the light one day. I do the actions and my Higher Power takes care of the outcome.
Tim

Postby Rusty Zipper » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:38 pm

Hi gang, i see were all hang'n... nice... ...................... as PC see's it, lol!... the constant yin/yang of recovery is a trip... ie; sun. night was chair'n a speaker topic meets... incoming says to me... i have been told this meeting was handled three differant ways today... oh brother. ok, no big'y i mention to her... i'm the chair, heres group concious... you speak 15 min, your other speaker speaks 15 min, then throw out a topic.... in the middle of this, cronic slipper chimes in... reaction time for Rusty... i say excuse me... !!! who is in this chair... ? mind you, time is run'n out... i have to try to explain to slipper . you dont know what your talk'n about... and he didn't... i let it go.... meets starts, 1st speaker goes over time, good story... when done she ask's me, do i toss out a topic?... i say how about your other speaker?... she says, we decided to only have one... powerless!!!... ok, toss out a topic.... she did. "what the fellowship has given us"... nice huh?...when meets over, a dude that i always have problems with, 5 year'r w/ control issues.. says, thats not the way we do it, spozed to have "Two" speakers... i say look, its my job as chair to do whats best for the group as a whole, and what was best was to go with it the way it was going.... step-3, ass, i'm think'n.... as we were try'n to settle this matter, slipper, his sponsee chimes in again... well hold on to that Pink Cloud Rusty... i turn to him, say ... please, stay out of this... he kept up, it got to me saying shut the F'k up... negative energy on my part... he storms out of room... as he marches out, i say... thats why you keep relaps'n, put the freak'n cotton in mouth, shut up, and listen... this whole deal was about principals over persionalities... i did talk it over with both involved a few days later... we have diferent views... i whats best for the group, the other.. what he thinks is the way... has to be one way, or no way... set in stone... black and white... i'm liv'n in the gray.... theres this way, that way, and gods way... from the 12 & 12... "We have learned that the satisfaction of instincts cannot be the soul end and aim of our lives. If we place instincts first, we have got the cart before the horse; we shall be pulled backward into disillusionment. When we are willing to place spiritual growth first - then and only then do we have a real chance." .......I was born with the right to be Happy.
I was born with the right to love.
To enjoy and share my love.
I cant resist life passing through me.
That is God passing through me.
Just my existance proves the exsistance of God.
I dont have to prove anything.
Just to be.
To take a risk. And try to enjoy lfe.................... bless

all god wishes, and give only love..................................... xxoo, Z
Rusty Zipper

RECOVERED

Postby Dustintodust » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:46 am

I dont know about the rest of you but up here in the north woods (MN) we have more treatment centers than we do hospitals. And a lot of the treatment garbage spews out of peoples mouths on a constant basis...but the worst one in my experience that i listened to and used to justify leaving AA at one point....Was the "I will always be recovering i will never recover" Misleading it is.....Will life on lifes terms still happen YES....will i still wrestle with my defects YES.... but we can recover the big book tells me that if i do what they did (NOTE THEM NOT YOUR AVERAGE AA MEMBER AS IT IS USUALLY USED) the obsession will be removed...I beleive that fully....call it a pink cloud call it a treatment high but tell it to someone who cares about your opinion....I am 90 days sober and the obsession has been removed because i did what they did and still do....I had the spiritual experience and i didnt do anything besides work the steps....I HAVE recoverd from a seemingly hopeless disease of mind and body...I now beleive in a god who is all loving and whos grace falls evenly on everyone.....now do i still have issues in life yes......see the people who wrote the book meant we learn to live life one day at a time.....Not tell ourselves we were not going to drink today....If that gimmick works for you thats great me myself i just do the 3rd step prayer with feeling in the morning and i get to worry about the business of suiting up and showing up for life.....I know people put the blinders on but one day at a time comes from the Bible and so does first things first......AA is the best thing in town but for me i need to do what they did not the self absorbed delusional D.D. sitting accross from me telling me im too new to have recovered.....trust god clean house help others.......i dont need a relapse i need to pray and quite trying to fight this thing called life...
Dustintodust

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery