- Update

Update

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Update

Postby Tim » Sat May 27, 2006 5:04 pm

It has been awhile since the last time I posted on the board. I suppose that may be expected because I had just been diagnosed with prostate cancer and have been dealing with the ramifications since.

The good news: One day at a time, I have not had to pick up a drink.

More good news: I have found that the same tools that I have used to keep me sober have helped me cope one day at a time living with cancer.

And more good news: The cancer appears to be at an early, highly treatable (I don't want to say curable, but that is a possibility).

The bad news: I am going to have surgery to remove my cancerous prostate with pain meds (ugh!) and a slow physical recovery. I remain hopeful that all will go well. I have had the loving support of my wife, my AA group and a man from my church who has gone thru cancer himself.

Whenever my mind parts in bewilderment about the road ahead, I remember the three simple statements about alcoholism (in my situation, I can also substitute the word 'cancer') from Chapter 5 of AA's Big Book:

(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism
(c) That God could and would if He were sought
Tim

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Sat May 27, 2006 5:57 pm

Best Wishes to you Tim, GOD Bless, Tonya
1dayatatime36

Good luck

Postby 918gma » Sun May 28, 2006 1:25 am

One thing I have learned in sobriety is that the mind plays a large part in our health. Both mental a physical. A positive attitude is always the biggest asset we have in any given situation. It's not always easy, that's why we aren't expected to do it alone. You will be in my prayers.
918gma

Postby Dallas » Sun May 28, 2006 1:59 am

I wish the best for you Tim.

In 1993, I started taking care of my mom. The docs said she had only 6 months to live. I started taking care of her out of responsibility and to be sure that I had been complete to her and my deceased father, in regards to making all my amends complete. I took care of her until about August of last year, when my amends were complete, and now my sister has her. That's a long six months!

I believe that when we're attempting to do the things, and we are doing the things that we know that we should be doing... there definitly is a "in God's time and not our time" in regards to life and health matters.

I also believe in the 12 steps effectiveness when applied to other matters like the physical body and health.

When I started taking care of my mom, my thoughts were "alcoholism is also a physical dis-ease" along with it being a mental and emotional dis-ease, and people all over the world are using the 12 Steps to treat their individual needs... do I decided to try it with my mom.

It worked wonders for the both of us.... and we're both still alive, with improved health. No scientific research to back anything up... but I do have results, and that's really all that matters to me is the results.

Tim, I appreciate you sharing your experience here with us. It means a lot to me and it's like having your hand reach out to help me along this path of life.

Best to you, and keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery