- A Little Plug for AA Literature

A Little Plug for AA Literature

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

A Little Plug for AA Literature

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:14 am

When I first got sober, I related more to the Personal Stories in AA's Big Book than I did to the first section. Although I now pay close attention to what is written in the basic text on the AA program of alcoholism, I still find myself drawn like a moth to a light bulb by the stories in the Big Book and in the Grapevine magazine.

Much to my intense delight, the stories in the three editions of the Big Book that are not included in the Fourth Edition are now contained in the book Experience, Strength and Hope, published by AA. There are some terrific stories that still deserve a reading and a re-reading.

Some years back, I ran across a copy of the 2nd edition at a used book store and enjoyed those stories of personal recovery. I especially loved the story The Professor and the Paradox, which was only in that edition. There are some great stories in the 1st edition, which I found thanks to the Internet. There is always something I can relate to: 'I felt like that!' and 'That happened to me!'

Believe it or not, I have not read all the stories that have been in the four editions of the big book, but thanks to the collection of personal stories from the 1st three editions and the current 4th edition personal stories, I can enjoy them all! And it goes with out saying that I have all three volumes of Best of the Grapevine, published by--you guessed 'er, Chester--the AA Grapevine magazine.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:37 am

Thanks for sharing Tim. I really enjoy reading the old stories... some of which were removed in newer editions. One of these days I've got to break down and buy me a 4th Edition so I can read those new stories! I was in a meeting after the meeting once and was reading some of the new stories in the 4th, but, I admit, I was doing some selective reading and my character defects were having a field day while I was reading. :oops:
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery