- If you're sober and you know it...

If you're sober and you know it...

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

If you're sober and you know it...

Postby Dallas » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:53 am

If you're sober and you know it... and you really want to show it...
just log in here and tell us about it! :lol:

And... if you used to share here in the past, and you're still sober but haven't checked in for a while... why not check in with us now and let us know how you're doing? (And, if you're not still sober... check in with us anyway!) We want to hear from you! I can imagine seeing some newcomer surfing through here for the first time... wondering... "Hey, I wonder if all those people are still sober!"

Funny thing I've noticed about myself ...
Sometimes I want to be first at everything...
And, other times, I just seem to always be last at being first at anything!

I used to be real shy... and drinking helped me cover up my shyness.

When I came to A.A. , got sober and hung around for a while, I suddenly wasn't so shy... but, then sometimes... my shy streak sets in again.

When I go a few days without posting a message here... I don't know if it's my shyness or my procrastination or fear or whatever it is... but it sure is hard to get out of it until I start taking the action again.

I guess for me, it's kind of like missing meetings. If I start missing meetings it's hard to stop missing meetings. It's often easier for me if I just keep doing what I'm doing.... instead of stopping what I'm doing and trying to get started again.
Last edited by Dallas on Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby blueangel » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:03 am

I'm still around and sure am sober!. Been on a rat killing lately and don't slow down much but I still get those meetings in some way or another. If I don't go to the meetings I have to make up some excuse for not going and may accidently work in an excuse to not be sober, like the bad old days many moons ago.... oh well enough about my status report. I sure need a shower after today. Bear wrestling sure gets a girl dirty :lol: I sure am glad though that I'm just wrestling bears instead of wrestling demons.
Kay
blueangel

Postby Dallas » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:26 am

Hee hee!!! How do Kay! Great to hear from you! Thanks for all that you do... for so many... and for all that you do for Alcoholics Anonymous!

Earlier I was thinking about starting a Topic on Gratitude... and you were at the top of my list!

It sure can get stinky wrestling with those stinky bears!!! Huh!!! (I wonder if she got a shower?) :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:47 pm

Hey Dallas ~ I was about ready to give up on y'all! Hadn't seen much of anyone around for a while.

As for me, I've been keeping busy by totally bottoming out on my disease of co-dependence, which, I'm embarrassed to say, I've only become aware of recently. :oops:

Won't go in to it, as this is an AA site, but man oh man have I got my knickers twisted. I am totally causing my own insanity and at the same time, I think I'm right!! Yikes!! :shock:

Thank God I have not picked up a drink over it.

Hope you're all well.....
anniemac

Postby cinderbobble » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:35 am

Hi there Dallas. I'm sober,and I KNOW IT! I have so much to be grateful. Even though I do not hit the number ofmeetings that I used to, I try to keep the AA principles uppermost in my mind. I am one of those with the mind of a chronic alcoholic!' Funny, but it doesn't seem to be too many of those around anymore, even though I am quite sure that we are who the book addresses. However, with the help of a strong, patient and BB thumping sponsor, I am still here.

I am glad to be able to participate on this board. Like Dallas, I can shore be shy too! :wink:
cinderbobble

Postby Tim » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:31 am

I'm still sober--physically and emotionally--and practicing the principles of AA in all my affairs. I've been busy, which is okay so long as I don't use busyness as an escape. Odd, isn't it, how we alcoholics go to extremes. Maybe that's a reason why we're asked to go to any lengths to achieve sobriety--that kind of statement rings true to alcoholics and attracts us to the program.

Thanks, Dallas, for keeping up this wonderful site and encouraging participation. I especially appreciate the focus on recovery evident by those who share.

Tim
Tim

Sober and you know it

Postby ruthie » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:54 am

Thanks for the replies to this. I am a newcomer (I have 6 days) and I was wondering why there weren't many updates!! I enjoy reading this. I spend too much time alone out here in the country and this site helps while a way a couple of hours!
Ruthie
ruthie

Postby Dallas » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:23 am

Hey Ruthie,

Glad you're hear. Nice to see you keep coming back. I enjoy reading the messages that you post.

Sometimes, it seems to get real active here... and other times... it seems really inactive.... in regards to those who post messages.

We get about 600 indivudual, unique visitors who cruise through this forum every day... often just reading the messages. Sometimes, they join the forum and they participate immediately, and sometimes they wait days and weeks and months to post a message.

It kind of reminds me of how shy I was when I was a newcomer in A.A. I would show up at the meeting... but, I just wanted to sit and listen. I didn't know what to say other than "My name is Dallas, and I'm alcoholic... and with that, I'll pass." :lol:

I was kind of afraid to say anything... because I didn't know anything... about staying sober.

I knew how to drink... and I knew how to talk about drinking. But, so did everyone else in the A.A. meetings. I sort of gravitated to certain A.A. speaker meetings, where the speakers would talk about how they were staying sober and how they were recovering... how they were recreating their lives... and how they took the 12 Steps.... instead of talking for an hour about how drunk they got! I wanted to learn how to stay sober outside the A.A. meetings. How do I stay sober for the next 22 1/2 hours... after I leave the meeting?

I guess it's fairly easy for any of us to talk about all the trouble we caused or how much trouble we got into, or how much we drank... or how bad it got. I don't know about you or anyone else... but that kind of talk never did seem to help me too much. It always kind of made me thirsty!!! :wink:

Maybe, some of the others do what I often do here... and that's... I'll start PM'ing (Private Messaging) with other Forum members... and then end up not posting anything in the Forum. I'm not sure.

Anyhoot... if it gets too quiet here... just give a SHOUT!!!! And, maybe you can get us busy posting again!

Best to you...

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

I'm still sober

Postby Tina L. » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:10 pm

Hi Ruthie and hi to everyone else. Welcome to the site Ruthie and congrats on your six days sober! Sorry that I haven't been here in a while. I'm still sober. I've been busy working, going to meetings, helping my sister with her new baby, plus I've been without a computer. :cry: Ruthie keep coming back. This site has been helping me since before I got sober. Actually it was through this site and with Dallas' help that I got sober and found A.A. and my sponsor and my home group. Thank you Dallas for all your help and thank you to everyone else here in the forum.

Tina xoxoxoxo
Tina L.

Postby ruthie » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:55 am

Hi ya'll!!
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. You know, since I met this newcomer last week that is giving me a ride, I have come to really realize the value of one alcoholic helping another. My persistence in keeping coming back has taught me it is never too late to help someone else while helping myself. We help each other.
I understand more than ever why we hear the same thing over and over--it takes a while t o get thru my thick head!!
Thanks!!
Ruthie
ruthie

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery