- Characteristics of Alcoholism

Characteristics of Alcoholism

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Characteristics of Alcoholism

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:58 pm

Some interesting characteristics of alcoholism

In the Definition of Alcoholism -- as published by the Journal of the AMA, part of that definition reads:

Alcoholism: ....."It is characterized by continuous or periodic: impaired control over drinking, preoccupation with the drug alcohol, use of alcohol despite adverse consequences, and distortions in thinking, most notably denial ."

Some interesting characteristics that they observed!

1. Characterized by continuous or periodic.... impaired control over drinking,

2. Preoccupation with the drug alcohol.

3. Use of alcohol despite adverse consequences,

4. Distortions in thinking, ... most notably denial.

Anyone want to grab one of those characteristics (or all of them, if you want) and share your personal experience it?

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:15 pm

I posted a whole reply to this! I musta forgot to hit Submit cause it's not here. :oops: I'll try again later....
anniemac

Mental twists and distortions of thinking in the alcoholic

Postby Dallas » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:35 pm

On number 4, above: Distortions in thinking, ... most notably denial.

I was talking with a fellow alcoholic last night who usually spends the majority of her time telling me how it sucks that she can’t get sober again. And, how grateful she would be... if she could just get sober again.

In the middle of her conversation she mentioned how ironic that it was that her life keeps getting better, in regards to work... because she seems to get more raises and promotions as a result of her drinking. Evidently, she says, the more she drinks the more her employer seems to like her work.... and, that she has concluded that drinking is part of being successful on the job and favorable to her employer.

It reminded me of when I had the same thoughts while I was drinking. For a few years I worked in the studios in Hollywood, where my perception was “everyone drinks and uses drugs like I do, and the only way you can succeed in this business is to drink and use more than your fellow workers... and still show up for work.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:18 pm

Characterized by continuous or periodic.... impaired control over drinking

The inclusion of "periodic" is important. When I was drinking, I didn't know that periodic impaired control was a problem; I thought it was lack of will power.

For a long time, sometimes when I drank, I got plastered, and sometimes when I drank, I had a glass or two of wine. Sometimes, even, I didn't drink, even when others around me were partying it up. So the fact that sometimes I ended up in a blackout on the floor seemed to me that I didn't know how to drink properly - maybe I should have eaten before I drank; perhaps I should have stuck with beer; etc. Or, that I just didn't try hard enough to limit myself -- that I was simply a glutton.

It wasn't until the periods between being periodically out of control started to get closer and closer together, that I began to believe I had a problem with alcohol. Only periodically being out of control did not fit the definition I knew of alcoholism.

I'm glad that the AMA recognizes this. I can't say that if I knew earlier on that periodic lack of control could indicate alcholism that I would have gotten sober sooner, but I sure think it's a good thing for young folks to be taught that.
anniemac

Postby catsup » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:00 pm

"preoccupation with the drug alchohol"

who? me? occupied with the drug alcohol is more like it. totally occupied. or maybe it was possession.

number one on any list if i was going to town was "get gin." next came "get mixers." at 3pm or so, a bell would go off in my head(and my body) telling me it was time for the first drink (which probably contained about 3 shots of booze.) it didn't matter where i was or what i was doing. when the bell rang i was off to the races. if i was going on a trip, i had to make sure that i had some booze packed, just in case i landed in a situation where it was not available. when i went visiting where i wasn't sure there would be drinking, i poured out half a soda and filled the bottle back up with gin. if i was visiting my father in the hospital and the bell went off, i wouldn't really be with him, because i would be thinking about getting my drink. and i would leave him because the drink was more important.

as i sit here i am preoccupied with a craving to drink which started around 3 pm today. cunning, baffling and powerful indeed! but i am not drinking today, and i am slowly finding new things to be preoccupied with.

catsup
catsup

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery