- Daily routines

Daily routines

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Daily routines

Postby Molly M. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi Guys:

I was wondering if you have specific daily routines that you would be willing to share, that you use for your sobriety one day at a time. I know that many of us practice steps 10 and 11 regularly, but I'm think of more specifics. For instance, I'm one of those that wakes up with my head in full chatter mode every morning. Before I'm even out of bed, I've already imagined at least half of the days encounters and come to a decision about what kind of day it will be (usually bad) and what I need to do or say to fix it :oops:

So every morning, I set my alarm early and start the day by bringing my coffee back up to bed and reading the first part of "how it works" dealing with step 3. For me personally, I have to consciously recommit to step 3 on a daily basis or I'm off in a self-will run wild rampage. The section I particularly like is:

Most people try to live by self-propulsion. Each person is like an actor who wants to run the whole show and is forever trying to arrange the lights, the ballet, the scenery and the rest of the players in his own way. If his arrangements would only stay put, if only people would do as he wished, the show would be great. Everybody, including himself, would be pleased...

I would love to hear what you guys are doing:D

Have an awesome day :D
Molly M.

Postby anniemac » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:08 pm

Hi Molly ~

As soon as I realize that I'm awake, I begin to talk (in my head, not out loud) to my HP. I give thanks for my sobriety, and ask for the strength and willingness to do HP's will so that I may be of maximum service to HP and to others. Then I read the daily meditation from Daily Reflections, and I also read another non-AA daily reader.

Every morning I get exercise, which helps greatly with my mental health. If I'm walking outdoors, I focus on being mindful of my surroundings, of being in the moment with nature. If I'm at the gym, I close my eyes and do moving meditation, focusing on my breath while walking on the treadmill.

I speak with my sponsor each weekday morning - sometimes I question why I call her all the time, but find that even when I have nothing to say it's good practice for me to touch base with another alcoholic.

During my day I work to keep mindfulness (living in the moment) as a priority, which increases my gratitude. I try to incorporate "random acts of kindness", which are usually on a very small scale, such as saying "hi" to the person walking past me on the sidewalk, or putting my neighbor's garbage can back in their driveway after the garbage-pickup leaves them all in the middle of the street. All of that helps to keep me out of my own head and aware of the fact that we are all connected.

If something upsets me or angers me, I look for my part in it and acknowledge that my perceptions color my reality.

At night I give thanks again for my sobriety and for the miracles and blessings in my life.

And some days I'm still a nasty, miserable, depressed woman. But, a heck of a lot less than I used to be!
anniemac

Postby Molly M. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:29 pm

And some days I'm still a nasty, miserable, depressed woman.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember complaining in a meeting that I did all of this work to be sober and live life on life's terms and to learn to be a better person and I was tired of seeing people who didn't do any work and were still better at life than I was.

A helpful member of the meeting responded "That's because you're an alcoholic." :roll:

Thanks for sharing your routine. After reading it, I'm thinking that I need to get some daily exercise as well.
Molly M.

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery