- A prescription for progress

A prescription for progress

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

A prescription for progress

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:55 pm

The longer that I'm sober the more convinced I am, that it's the actions that I take that contribute to my sobriety and the good like that I enjoy today.

One of the best things that has helped me has been my simple "To Do List."

Years ago, my sponsor helped me discover that two valuable traits that I needed to develop were structure and discipline in my life. One of the ways he helped me, was to have me start making a "Daily To-Do List".

It's important to keep the To-Do List very simple. I want to be sure that I only put things that I am sure to accomplish on the list. That feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day feels good, and each day that I accomplish more, and become more productive and efficient in my daily living -- the better and better I started feeling about myself. And, I've noticed that when I feel better about myself, I'm less prone to depressions and self-pity. I could list numerous other ways that my life has improved over the years as a result of disciplining myself to do my Daily To-Do List.

Below, I've included my list for today, to show how I do it, for anyone who may be interested in knowing more about it and for those who might be interested enough to give it a try.

It works!!! It really does! :wink:

Dallas

----------------------

My To-Do List -- A prescription for progress
Thursday, March 22, 2007

1. Find something good to do for someone today -- and do it.

2. Look for a way to be more effective and productive today – and try to do something better today -- than I did it yesterday.

3. Start my day with prayers of thanksgiving and ask God to give me the knowledge of His will for me today and the power to carry it out.

4. Write down something that I know about God. Then meditate and watch and listen for the answers to my prayer.

5. Do my work well and get my work finished.

6. Read something from the Big Book and go to an AA meeting.

7. Call my sponsor.

8. Call another alcoholic.

9. End my day with prayers of thanksgiving.

What I know about God: I know that God is big and God is kind and I know that God is with me all the time.

My guidance for today: Think about God being with me during the day and act as if I know that He is with me. Remember to thank God throughout the day and to watch and listen for cues and guidance. Read page 47, paragraph 1, Big Book.

One thing that I have been able to do better today is to come up with a simple, better, and more effective To-Do List and I am doing it now. I believe that by doing this list in this way everyday -- it will help me to achieve greater discipline and structure and it will help me to become more productive and effective in my daily living and it will help me to grow in my understanding.

---------------------------------------

That's it! I keep it really simple and I do a new list everyday.

If you try it for yourself... I would suggest to get a calendar or something that you can check off, so that you can check your progress on doing it every day. Try it for 30 days and see what happens! It looks easy to do.... :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Molly M. » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:45 am

Thanks Dallas,

Reading your post made me realize how much better I used to be at prioritizing my day around my sobriety. Now that my sobriety has brought me many gifts (career, family, home, friends), I am always amazed at how easy it would be for me to start taking my sobriety for granted and giving these gifts priority :roll:

Your To Do list is a really concrete way of keeping first things first :D
Molly M.

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:13 am

Thank you Molly!!! I've missed you the last couple of days! I just read your other message and left a reply there.

Best wishes to you!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Molly M. » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:25 pm

My To Do List Sat.:

1) When I wake up, focus on feelings of gratitude

2) pray and spend 20 min reading BB

3) Check in with the forum :D

4) Walk myself and my dogs

5) Finish the stack of grading and e-mail parents

6) meditate

7) Take my daily inventory

8) Thank God for another day sober

9) Remember to thank Dallas for posting this great tool.

Thanks Dallas
Molly M.

Postby northlondon » Mon May 21, 2007 12:29 pm

1. Ask HP to direct my thinking
2. Ask for he's will for me. Meditate on that.
3. Say prayers
4. During day ask for guidence. I need a lot of guidence :? :lol: :D :) :? :lol: :D 8) :o :shock: :shock: :D ......no in fact I need a lot alot of guidence :P :? :? : :o :shock: :D :lol: :lol:
5. Take inventory.
6. Ask for forgiveness. I ask for for forgiveness a lot. :lol: :lol:
northlondon

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery