- "Bill W. & Dr. Bob" Off-Broadway

"Bill W. & Dr. Bob" Off-Broadway

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

"Bill W. & Dr. Bob" Off-Broadway

Postby anniemac » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:01 am

Today my husband and I went in to New York City to see "Bill W. & Dr. Bob', an off-Broadway play about the beginnings of AA. I don't believe any of the cast are going to win a Tony award for their performances, but it was a very touching show with many very funny parts.

The play opens with Bill W. walking to the front of the stage and saying "My name is Bill and I am an alcoholic." The whole audience yells back, "Hi, Bill!" The character of Dr. Bob was very funny and endearing.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the info presented was accurate; for non-AA members, though, the speed at which they progressed through the pre-AA days of Bill's life may not have made sense without the benefit of prior knowledge of the AA story.

At any rate, I'm glad to have had the opportunity to see the show. By the end of the play, I believed that the two actors on stage were fellow alcoholics, and I was ready to hold hands with the audience members and close with the Serenity Prayer (although we didn't).
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:09 am

Thanks for sharing that Anne! Hopefully, I can get up to New York, later this year and see it while it's still playing!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery