- What makes you happy?

What makes you happy?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

What makes you happy?

Postby Dallas » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:51 am

What makes you happy?

One of the greatest gifts that I’ve received through Alcoholics Anonymous, is that it has shown me how to be happy and sober!!!

Many times, I thought I was happy when drinking. But, the brief happiness that I experienced wore off about as fast as the alcohol did…. And, as I would sober up… I would get very restless, irritable and discontented without alcohol.

Once I learned how to be happy and sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, I then learned how to be happy and sober outside Alcoholics Anonymous. And, today, I can be sober all of the time, and happy most all the time regardless of where I am … as long as I’m willing to follow certain directions and instructions.

My life today is incredibly wonderful and much better than anything that I could have possibly managed to put together on my own without AA, God, my Sponsor, and many people in Alcoholics Anonymous.

My question is a three part question:

1. Are you happy?
2. What makes you happy?
3. How do you know when you’re happy?

If you care to answer all three, or only one or two parts to the question, I hope you’ll share your answers with me!

Dallas

[b]P.S. I asked another question in the Singles Recovery Forum, that is “What is Love?â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby crickit » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:31 pm

WooHoo, new topics. This one's easy for me because a very good freind :wink: just opened my eyes to this recently. Now I ask myself everyday if I'm happy. If I'm not I try to figure out why. If I know the reason I try to see if I can change it. If it is things that are outside of myself that are making myself unhappy I do something that does make me happy. I can't change what is happening around me only the way I respond to it. I chose to be happy and try very hard to stay on my pink cloud.

So this is what makes me happy;

1. Spending time with my pets
2. Going for a walk in a secluded place
3. Eating Icecream
4. Walking in the rain
5. Going to AA meetings
6. Being able to help out someone who needs me
7. Spending more time on personal care ie; giving myself a facial and putting on makup even if I'm not going out, having a long bubble bath with candles and incense, eating healthy etc.
8. Reading and replying to messages on this forum
9. Spending time with family and freinds.
10. Learning something new

I know when I'm happy when I'm connected body, mind and spirit. I know I'm happy because I can smile even when I'm all alone. I know that I'm happy because I don't feel afraid, worried, frustrated, insecure or paranoid. I know I'm happy because I notice all the little things in life that really matter.

Again it's one of those simple little things. I open up my heart and happiness sneeks in.

So now I will jump over to your other topic Dallas 'What is Love'. That one, I think, is a little harder to understand.

HAPPY 24 HOURS ALL
Crickit
crickit

happy

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:57 pm

huuuuuuuuuuuuuum? im smelling a Pink Cloud a brew'n around here today ! lol ! hello my friends! and Dallas. old boy, Mr Big Book, fellow PC'r ... this ia a really great topic ! to answer your first question? simply put, "Yup" to answer your second question what makes me happy? i have to go a little against the grain on this one. you see, its only when i can combine what makes, and how do i know. am i truley happy! when i can go about my daily life, and have this feeling of unrelented piece with myself. its a wonderfull place to be. there hasnt been a drink, or a drug yet. that ever made me feel this way. a good example is like when my recovery buddie says, what, where, or when? i simply say. it doesnt matter. im just happy to be alive! things just seem to fall in place. she always say to me. your living rightly, and you get the rewards from it. i just try to do the next right thing. dont get me wrong, im certantly not perfect. why this morning, i prob. got the madest i have ever been in my sobriety. i was a shakin. and all over $2.89 at the gas station. long story, not here. point being, i got over it real fast, did not let it even try to ruin my day. was i right or wrong? it doesnt matter. i want my Pink Cloud! and i know just how to keep it. its all in my attitude, and that attitude = happiness!!! ... gots to run, thanks again for the topic. maybe later i can go sniff out the one on what is love? i shure have a bit to say about that one! xoxo to all Rusty, aka PC :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Postby crickit » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:28 pm

OK Rusty, so I'm a little slow but I just realized why your other name is PC LOL. I like it :D and from now on I will refer to you as 'PC' to remind me 'I want what you have' Maybe I can be PC#2 LOL, or what that be Dallas. At any rate, I'll take #3567 as long as I can keep my pink cloud.

HAPPY 24
Crickit
crickit

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:32 pm

way to go girl! plenty of room on the cloud! "IM" me sometime! laydo! xoxo PC
Rusty Zipper

What makes you happy?

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:12 am

My question is a three part question:

1. Are you happy?
2. What makes you happy?
3. How do you know when you’re happy?

My name is Dallas, and I am an alcoholic!

My answers are:

Am I happy? Yes! I am very happy most of the time. As I mentioned above, my life today is incredibly wonderful and much better than anything that I could have possibly managed to put together on my own without AA, God, my Sponsor, and many people in Alcoholics Anonymous.

Does that mean I’m happy all the time? Of course not. I am happy most of the time. Do I get depressed and that kind of stuff? Sure I do. But, I don’t have to stay depressed. In the Big Book, I’ve been given numerous tools to help me to regain my state of happiness as long as I’m willing to follow a few simple instructions.

What makes me happy? Following the instructions in the Big Book makes me happy every single time. It hasn’t failed yet… since I learned how to use them and how to apply them in my life.

Here is one of the tools that I use that has never failed me, as long as I use it:

I wake up in the morning and start my day with a short prayer and short meditation. Then, I get a pen and some paper, and I open my Big Book to Page 83 and I start reading at the last paragraph of the page.

With my pen and paper, I use what I read as a “Check Listâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:17 pm

My understanding of happiness was so distorted by my alcoholism that it took me a long time, one day at a time, to begin to comprehend happiness in even a small way.

I was, as other garden variety alcoholics tend to be, addicted to extremes. If I was not overwhelmingly happy, I was overwhelmingly unhappy. Now I usually reside somewhere in the middle, that territory called in the long version of the Serenity Prayer "reasonably happy."

I also had a strong magnetic connection between my egoism and my happiness. I had two of the other diseases associated with alcoholism: "More" and "Right Now". I am making progress toward making my happiness less conditional on the satisfaction of my own will. If I am doing God's will I am apt to experience a deeper, less transient happiness than when doing my will. For lack of a better phrase, call it "peace of mind".

'Reasonably happy' is a good place for me to be. I find that the less self-centered, fearful and resentful I am, the more contented and grateful I am.
Tim

Am I happy

Postby 918gma » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:21 pm

Yes for the most part I am. It's a new and some times uncomfortable feeling for me that I learning to understand

What makes me happy. Tripping over the miricles that have happened in my life since AA took over. Figuring things out. Moments of clarity, where all of a sudden, some thing I have been strugling to understand becomes crystal clear, and I know with a doubt that at that moment my higher power is standing right there with in reach. Friends. Real live quality friends, another miricle of this program. When some one invites me to keep coming back, that didn't happen when I was drunk. The list of things that make me happy are endless these days. I need to be reminded that I have every reason in the world to be happy. Thank you for this opportunity to remember.
918gma

I forgot the third question

Postby 918gma » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:26 pm

I know I am happy when I feel at peace, no matter what is going on around me. When I can walk through clamor and not get sucked in it. When my feet are firmly planted, and my head is in the same place as my feet.
918gma

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery