- THE DOCTOR’S OPINION

THE DOCTOR’S OPINION

Alcoholics Anonymous AA Big Book Study and Discussion.

Postby lenny » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:01 pm

yup thats is it alright,another one i hear a lot is that relapse is part of recovery,bullsh-t.but live and let live.i just stay the hell away from people like that.
lenny

Postby Bensober » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:22 am

This post, AA, everything shared here has become my Phenomena of Craving. Better than sex, drinking, drugs, making a million dollars a minute (not that I do), all I allow to treat my alcoholism. The “buzzâ€
Bensober

Postby Bensober » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Also related to some of this discussion wanted to share I'm going down to crazy Los Angeles this weekend to do a recording on our new Extended Play(EP) recording. As Dallas knows…It’s nuts down there! Plenty of sex, alcohol, drugs and Rock N Roll to go around.

Everyone in and outside of the studio or stage is aware of my status. My sobriety is always first and they all know this. Music is a really important part of life. So my alcoholism is treated on 101-102 of the Big Book. My band is on standby with as it states my “SOLID SPIRITUAL GROUNDâ€
Bensober

Postby november6 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:41 pm

That's really awesome:) My husband is in the entertainment industry and it takes us to Los Angeles a LOT (for 2 months this time - we are here now) and it is a whole other world sometimes! When he works, typically we are SURROUNDED for weeks on end in small towns in the middle of nowhere with drinking and the like and it has at times been very difficult to adjust to being in that environment after leaving the "safety" of home/AA's all around. Thank God AA is everywhere.. sorry this was sightly off topic to the subject - was really great to hear someone elses exp with this and how loud & proud you are about your sobriety with work!
november6

Postby Dallas » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:19 pm

I understand Ben! I have a pretty good life as a result of my Phenomenon of Craving for Sobriety! You are already helping many others with your Phenomen of Craving for Sobriety -- and, just like you said, with being of maximum service to others -- In Chapter 5, we read that God would take care of our needs if we do His work well. That's the deal. I may not have all the things that I wanted, but the things I have are greater than all that I wanted -- and they are all much better than I ever deserved!

With your kind of attitude you can expect some huge good things to be happening in your life! The Good Life is Good!

Sometimes, others in recovery that are in music and entertainment -- get afraid to let their peers know about their sobriety and how important that it is to them. Some end up getting gobbled up, because they kept it so secret, afraid to make it a priority. Hopefully, you'll be able to help them and encourage them by your example. I'm sure, you'll encounter several that will sneak up to you and as "Hey man... are you a friend of Bill W."?

On the flip side -- many in the entertainment industry do recognize the importance of recovery to artists and craftsmen that are in the biz. They respect it and honor it -- when they know about it. When they don't know about it seems to be the problem.

The list continues to grow with some pretty famous names -- that have recovered their lives, and careers and talents -- through sobriety.

LA does have a few artists and people in the entertainment industry recovery meetings. Often, the meetings will be within walking distance from the studios.

Best wishes for you friend!!! We are here -- and we will be there -- with you, too!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Bensober » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:16 am

Thanks November & Dallas,
YOUR A SOLID PART OF MY ROCK!!!!...pun intended:-)
Bensober

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:28 am

Ditto Ben! You're a solid part of mine, too! Thank you. Wishing, and praying and hoping the best of the best for you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby lenny » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:37 pm

If we want to develop a spiritual practice,we need to stop the war"-whatever war we are fighting. :)
lenny

Postby november6 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Hey again!

All right.. gonna stay on that topic for a sec (again, sorry this isnt about the drs opinion still!)... It was really comforting to hear bensobers post, so it occured to me that I can bring you guys with me on the jorney coming up in a couple weeks..
So, my upcoming adventure:
My husband, as I said, is also in the ent business and the next project is in NYC in 2 weeks - we will be there for 5-6 weeks. It's great. It's our income, it's fun, it's a unique way to live and I feel fortunate to be apart of it all. THOUGH, when there is a new project for him it is also attached with some fear for me - my husband has 10 months sober today (way to go hubby!) but which means that last year a few projects resulted in relapse for him (pretty disasterous when yr partner relapses when yr still sober and in a strange city with only aquaintences around and about a 30 people who are also drinking). Again, a strange world.. The last project was a sober success- he did inform people of his "non-drinking" and there was even another member with 4 years on set.. But yes, I am in some fear. It is ussually 12hr work days for him 5 days a week and is not always, but often a hot-bed for wet drunks.. And for those who aren't drunks, the best plans for catching up and/or getting to know those also involved ussually involves a bar. He once had a "sober companion" and that seemed to help, but that is so taboo to me and really unness, I believe, if someone really wants this deal.. which he does. my sobriety has never really felt at risk, though I have been sober many years now, have an amazing foundation and also am not - like him- working 12 hrs a day so I can go to meetings and get away from the other drinkers whenever I please...

I am almost reluctant to submit this post simply because I think i sound like a newcomer! But I guess instead of deleting or refining what I have wrote I will leave it as is - maybe if I sound like a newcomer it's because I am thinking like one! I guess I am just scared. Or actually I am not in any real fear today - borrowing tomorrows fears? I am not even sure what I am asking!! Maybe just opening up the communication lines with bensober and others before the trip? Which is probably a good thing for me and those around me - because even writing this I can feel that my "playing god" mind is starting to get ready to go into business, which it has in the past with new projects - which is of no use to anyone, myself, my husband, my daughter or any other AAs.. anything? :D
november6

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Sounds like your husband may be working for some of the same studios that I had worked for! :wink: Probably not -- though. But, some things, in some industries do not often change.

Perhaps the fear is your gut and your experience trying to talk to you. Perhaps, it's all that AA that's seeped into your head that's making you uncomfortable. :lol: When I first came to AA, some told me that "we may not be able to keep you sober but we're sure going to screw up your drinking!" :lol: I thought they were joking -- until I started drinking again!

What I've seen that has happened to me, and to many others is: It almost seems like the Good Life can be a curse for us. We stay sober and do the things we're supposed to be doing -- as if we were drowning. Then, we get pulled to the shore. Saved. Rescued. Life get's good. We start slacking off.... gradually... and it isn't long that we're thinking: "I've got this under control! It's been months now since I've been to a meeting! And, I've had no desire whatsover for a drink!" We may pick the BB up off the shelf... if we remember what shelf it's on, or if we find it under our bed... dust the dust off of it. Look at it. And, maybe even briefly open it. And, we think! I sure am grateful for this book and for AA! I was pretty bad off -- and this saved my life! Look at me today! I'm successful. I got money in my pocket. Relationships are good. Health is good. And, I remember when I used to have to try so hard -- to do the things i had to do -- just to stay sober!

We don't know how long it takes to get to that stage. For some it could be six days, or six weeks... six months, or six years! I've seen some that were out there 24 yrs and 364 days... and on the 365th day... 25 yrs... hubby (that has never seen her drink or drunk)... says "Gee sweetie! It's been 25 yrs for you today! Let's go to diner and celebrate!" As the are enjoying the meal... the non-alcoholic hubby says, "Honey! If you went 25 yrs. controlling it -- surely, you can have one glass of wine w/ dinner!" Wife-ee says... "I don't know... maybe." That was all it took. She had the one glass and controlled it that night. She wanted to guzzle the bottle, but refrained. She spent the next year drunk nearly every day. I saw her for a while -- a newcomer again, but when you've been sober a long time and go back to drinking -- I think we get worse off than when we were newcomers that went back to drinking! The alcoholism is progressive. It's doing push ups while we're sleeping sober. It's like a gorilla that's been in a cage. Suddenly, we find out hand in the cage petting it. Then, we let it out for a little dance. And, maybe it's fun for a while. The problem is: The dance is not over until the gorilla decides it's over -- and the gorilla loves to dance!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Big Book Study