- A simple and easy meditation that works for me

A simple and easy meditation that works for me

Meditation - a powerful tool for recovery!

A simple and easy meditation that works for me

Postby Dallas » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:48 am

I often hear from AA's that one of the hardest things for them to do, is to incorporate prayer as consistent part of their daily living!

I understand! It's not always easy to remember to pray -- when things are going well!

However, I've found that prayer was one of the things that I did a lot of -- when things were going badly -- before things got so good.

The short answer? It takes discipline. It takes effort.

If it's a problem for you -- you might want to do as I did, and post a little note on the bathroom mirror, or somewhere else that you'll see it as a reminder. (Be careful about prayer while you're driving, though!).

If prayer is a difficulty that you are having a hard time to master, how is meditation going for you?

Step 11, is about improving our conscious contact with God, as we've come to understand Him/Her... through "prayer and meditation"... asking only for the knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry it out.

Here is a simple meditation that I do, that works well for me.

I simply close my eyes and begin thinking about God.
As I'm doing this... I start focusing my attention on my breathing.
Taking notice of each breath as I breath in and breath out.

Then, I begin to think of God being inside the breath that I take. And, as I take the breath -- I think of breathing in God.

I find that if I do this for as little as one minute... I begin to feel a very relaxed and peaceful feeling that I'm able to carry with me throughout the day.

It also helps me to do this throughout the day. I can do it in a crowded room -- without closing my eyes... I just tune everything out by thinking about God, again, and start paying attention to my breathing... and repeating the process I described above.

It works wonders for me! And, I hope that by sharing it with you, it will be of interest or help for you, also.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby angel143 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:51 am

Ok...You really do have to STOP reading my mind!

I suppose if I would have come to the site first thing this morning I would have had my answer.

I have this really great friend, they meditate as well! This morning I sent an email asking how? Because the only type of meditation I have ever known is the kind in Yoga class.

See...I suppose I should always start my days here...then I would have had an answer to my question without having to ask it!

Thank you! I will try it. I am open to any ideas that get me closer to inner peace and happiness. I really do want to have God as a part of my life. Not just someone I pray to. But someone I have a relationship with.

I never grew up around religion. I honestly don't know anything about it. I need to try to figure out how to go about learning as much as I can about Him.

Thank you for the info on meditation. As always, you know just what to say.

Heather
angel143

Postby Dallas » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Heather wrote:I need to try to figure out how to go about learning as much as I can about Him.

I understand! :wink:

I had to take a lot of effort and some time to forget what I thought I knew.

It was what I thought I knew that was blocking me from knowing.

What worked for me: First, I started looking at nature. Plants, animals, fish, rocks, the planet, birds, people and anything I could find that had Life in it. I also looked at some things that used to occupy the same planet... but, were no longer here.

Then, I started looking at "things that we know are there... but we can't see it."

Example: Electricity. Microwave. Radio Waves. TV waves. Magnets. Magetism. Gravity. Heat. Cold. Air. Gases.

Then, I looked more closely at physics and Quantum physics.

Then, I looked more closely at the sky -- day time and night time. Stars, planets, things in the sky.

Also, I looked at things like music, art, biology, micro-biology, and much more.

I started asking myself questions, like:

Are there any patterns?
Are there any intelligent systems in it?
Is it predictable?
It it unpredictable?

And, I started with a yellow legal pad, and I wrote down the following:

If I could define what I think I would like God to be like, what would it be?

The first few things on my list were: God, Good, Love, Life, Light.

And, that gave me a starting point.

I've been building on it ever since.

It was important for me -- to not rely on what someone else believed, or thought, or felt... regardless of who they were.

My logic was: "If He's my Father... why do I need someone else to tell me about Him?" And, "Why... would they know more about my Father, than I would know about Him?"

It just didn't make since to me to rely on what other peoples thoughts were. I needed a God "as I understood Him" -- and, Not a God as "they" understood Him.

In Bill's Story, Chapter 1, BB, Ebby told Bill: "Why don't you try your own conception of God?" Hmmm. Interesting idea.

It's like this: Suppose I had a personal relationship with Heather. (This is an example and illustration)... would I want to know what someone else knows about her, and their experience of her... or, would I want to know what she's like... based upon my own experience of her? And, how many different things do you think other people could tell me about Heather... that would be nothing like she is with me? And, maybe... they had their own self-interest for telling me those things.... So, if I wanted to know Heather... I wouldn't ask others about her... I would ask Her about her.

Another illustration: I was waiting to see Heather... and she just landed at the Tulsa airport... and was getting off the plane... and she stood there looking beautiful... and ran up to her... drop to my knees... then to the ground... and started kissing her shadow! :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me... is it the "real thing" or "the shadow"? It is based on what someone else tells me they know... or is it based upon my own first-hand experience?

For me... when it's based upon my own experience... it produces an understanding that doesn't confuse me... it makes sense to me, I understand it and I can take the time and effort to better understand it and try to become more consciously aware of it. It produces a belief and a faith... that I can live with, and live for... and is un-shake-able. :wink:

That's how I did it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:27 am

BTW: Heather... I used you in my illustration because it's you I'm communicating with... so... don't get mad at me... and tell the others to slack off if fireballs of criticism start getting heaved my way!!! :lol: :lol:

I guess I'm just so care-free most of the time... that I don't realize how something I write or say can become a point of controversy for others... kind of like that one day that I posted in Relationships... and I got blased with Anonymous email!!! :lol:

Of course, I could have used Paul or Tim... but... that really feels wrong to me! (I'm not that way!).

What my illustration was referring to and an illustration of was "My relationship with God." ... just trying to bring it down to earthly terms so I could explain it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby angel143 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:13 am

Dallas....

I really hope you arent getting fireballs of criticism! You didnt do anything wrong!

I know why you used the illustration that you used....and, um...im REALLY glad you didnt use Paul or Timmy...ya woulda lost me fer good on that one! :wink:

Your illustration actually did help explain your point. Sometimes for me...I need things broken down as simple as possible. I have brain fog often (actually I really do...but thats another story), so your explanation was great.

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond. I learn so much from you. You have a special soul. Thanks.

Heather
angel143

Postby Danni » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:08 pm

I meditate the way I learned in my Yoga class. It works for me.

Hugs to all.

Danni
Danni

Postby Jools » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:36 pm

My sponsor told me last week to start spending time with God first thing in the morning and I haven't done it yet. She said my wooded back yard is a perfect place to read my daily meditation(s) and pray.

I know I have got to stop procrastinating and just do it. I know my day will go much better if I would just take time out to spend with my HP, so why do I not do it?

Why do I pray when things are going bad, but when things are going good I don't need Him?

Thanx for letting me think out loud.

Julie
Jools

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:35 pm

Beautiful thread! – “Always the battle of the Spiritual Warrior is with self. Funding a will through action, yet unattached to outcomes, remaining mindful that all you can really do is stay out of your own way and let the Will of Heaven flow through you – these are among the hallmarks of the Spiritual Warrior.â€
Ranman99

Postby ROBERT » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:27 pm

That looked like a Dallasian slip to me :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROBERT

Postby ROBERT » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Hey Julie, --look at :shock: the 2nd part of step 1.
ROBERT

Next

Return to Meditation and Recovery