- TM (Transcendental Meditation) ???

TM (Transcendental Meditation) ???

Meditation - a powerful tool for recovery!

TM (Transcendental Meditation) ???

Postby crazylion » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:45 am

I have heard that TM (transcendental meditation) is a great way to meditate. And it has helped many with depression and other problems common to what we as alcoholics suffer.

I was curious to see if anyone here uses it? And does it really work. There are no centers close to me where I live so I have only studied it on-line.

If anyone has any info or uses it can you please post your experiences with it.

Thanks,

Brian (alcoholic)
crazylion

Postby Dallas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:25 am

I've used TM and experimented with it. I liked it.

I personally believe that most any kind of meditation will be good for us and have tremendous benefits -- if we do it. :wink:

I consider meditation on the same levels as sleep and food and water and nutrition. Any one of those things can have a good or a negative effect on me....

Quieting the mind is like turning the motor off on my truck when I park it. It needs a rest and it will wear it out if I leave it running 24/7.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:24 am

I was introduced to Kriya Yoga via a person I made amends to last year. It is not for the light hearted but anyone interested in steps 13 to 24 could give it a look it's quite prevalent all over the world now since Yogananda published "Autobiography of a Yogi" back in the '40's in the US.

www dot kriyajoga dot com is one source but there are others. If you look at that site you can get the gist that there is a common theme for all the top end practices such as Raja, Kharma, Bhakti etc.

The one good thing about exploring Kriya is they actually teach you not to meditate. Instead you learn some techniques and let meditation come to you. That seemed to work better for me. Otherwise it would be like trying to think myself sober :lol:

8)
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:27 am

Do they do it nekid? :lol: :lol:

I might try it again if they do it nekid.... and you don't have to close your eyes. But, if not... Yoka Yoga makes my back and knees hurt. I can't even think about getting into some of those positions without my body starting to hurt just thinking about it... Most everytime I tried it, I gave up after a couple of painful seconds. :lol:

I'm not into working that hard... unless I really have to do it.

Tonight I had to pick up a huge five drawer file cabinet and lift it over a desk to get it moved. No. It wasn't a "we job" I had to do it on my own. :lol: :lol:

After I did that and was Yoga'ing pretty hard... the only thing I could think of was "Gee! Maybe I'm still a tough guy after all!" (As if I ever really was one!) :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:48 am

It's funny you should mention that. There was one Yogi back at the end of the 19th century that said just that he had to loose the loin cloth to realize God so that was my queue of course to get all natural like.

My darn knees sure ain't what they used to be :cry:
Ranman99

Return to Meditation and Recovery