- AA in the 40's

AA in the 40's

General discussions related to A.A. History.

AA in the 40's

Postby RD1angel » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:21 pm

I find it amazing how the pioneers would take newcomers upstairs, work with them, until that had completed the 12 steps, handed them a "membership card" and then allowed them into the meeting!! I guess that is why I am so into the back to the basics, newcomer meeting format. Let those who aren't ready to fully concede to carry on with the research.

But then, as many times as I went into meetings drunk, I am truely grateful that they just told me to keep coming back.

Seems that different groups around the country did it a little bit different back then... I understand back to the basics philosophy for why they had a 50 - 75% success rate, but it seems that their must be more to it. Like I am thinking, the level that most alcoholics were at, prior to walking into the rooms of AA. Kinda like the type Clancy talks of at the midnight mission.

( clancy is my hero, I got sober listening to him 3 different times, and when I would go back out and drink, I would play him, mainly the "disease of perception, and try to argue with the CD player !) some are sicker than others. :roll:

RD
RD1angel

Postby GeoffS » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:10 pm

Can't remember which book, Dr Bob... maybe, but I read that certain groups in the early days made members apply, and pretty much interviewed them to be allowed in!! And could throw you out if the committee decided....

Thanks god for Tradition 3
GeoffS

Return to A. A. History