- October in AA History

October in AA History

General discussions related to A.A. History.

October in AA History

Postby GeoffS » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Slightly early, because I'm overseas next week.

OCTOBER

Jerry McAuley opened the Water St Mission in the notorious Fourth Ward of NYC. It marked the beginning of the urban mission movement. The movement, which spread across America by the Salvation Army, focused its message to the Skid Row alcoholic. When McAuley passed away (in 1884) S H Hadley succeeded him. Hadley’s example of recovery from alcoholism was cited in William James’ book The Varieties of Religious Experience. Hadley’s son, Harry, later collaborated with Rev Sam Shoemaker to establish a rescue mission at Calvary Episcopal Church in NYC

Oct 29, Rowland Hazard was born, the oldest son of Rowland Gibson and Mary Pierrepont Bushnell Hazard

Oct 15, Margaret (Marty) Mann was born in Chicago, IL to Lillian Christy and William Henry Mann.

Oct, while on a picnic, Bill W, and his sister Dorothy, were informed by their mother that their father had gone for good. The news was devastating to Bill. Emily left the next day for Boston, MA to attend an osteopathic medical school.

Oct 12, Henrietta Buckler and J Frederick Sieberling were married in Akron, OH.

Oct, Congress passed the Volstead Act (National Prohibition Act) over President Wilson’s veto

Oct 20, Bill W signed a pledge in the family Bible: “To my beloved wife that has endured so much, let this stand as evidence to you that I have finished with drink forever.â€
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:03 pm

Thank you, GeoffS

I sure appreciate your time and effort to get that info together and post it here on the site to share with us.

Best wishes for you,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to A. A. History