- STEP 3 ..THE EASIEST OF STEPS???

STEP 3 ..THE EASIEST OF STEPS???

Personal experiences with a Higher Power of your own understanding.

Re: STEP 3 ..THE EASIEST OF STEPS???

Postby Toast » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:30 pm

STEP 3

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

By our very natures we alcoholics find it difficult to make any decision let alone a decision to give away power over our lives. As supreme control freaks we are obsessed with being in charge so the thought of taking a back seat and letting someone else take control goes against the grain. I mean after all if it goes right they’ll get all the glory wont they and where will we be then, just a number, no longer unique?

I once heard it said that an alcoholic would rather be in a rowing boat in the middle of a stormy Atlantic than safe and well on an ocean liner. At least that way he would know who was in control, where does this monumental lack of trust come from, isn’t all this paranoia self generated?

I know from bitter experience that only when I stopped stealing did I stop worrying that everyone was planning to steal from me and when I stopped cheating I began to have some sort of trust in other people and when I stopped telling lies I started to believe what other well meaning people were trying to tell me.

So having gone through the previous two Steps to the best of my ability with the aid of my sponsor I now come to a stage in the process where I have to put my money where my mouth is. I’ve admitted that I’m an alcoholic and said I believe that a power greater than myself could restore me to sanity so now I have to have enough faith to step aside and let this power show me how. At this point we stop navigating by sight and start navigating by faith. We no longer have to see round the next corner before we proceed. We now have enough belief that this power will ensure we will be all right.

Being an over cautious individual when sober I always needed inspiration before the event. But upon taking this Step I can honestly say I received inspiration after the event. Only when I made this decision to hand my will and my life over the care of God did I for the first time I my life know that everything was going to be all right.

And what exactly does this decision mean? It means we will continue with the rest of the programme, to live it to the best of our abilities and pass on its message to all whom God puts in our path, be they alcoholic or not. We will consider ourselves truly blessed to have found this fellowship as a way out of our misery and freely share with others exactly how we escaped.

On a daily or hourly basis we will monitor our thoughts to ensure they are in line with Gods will and not our own. If our thinking will lead to pain for us or anyone else then it’s the wrong thought. We have made a decision to stop living this way. And the law of consequence guarantees we will get back exactly what we give out. So let the good thoughts begin with us and have enough faith to wait and see good things happen.

And finally, by our selfless example in our groups and in other forms of service we will teach new prospects the meaning of 3rd Step prayer.

God, I offer myself to Thee – to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy way of life. May I do Thy will always!”

This is very important, like me many people are in the fellowship for years before they even find out a Step 3 prayer exists. That’s sad, it’s far too big a part of recovery to miss out on.

Once we have taken this Step into our lives we can truly say that for the first time in our lives we are on the right bus, and as long as its not us, it doesn’t matter who’s driving, we’ll get there. Because God is well and so are you.

God Bless
Toast

Previous

Return to Higher Power