- Is quoting the bible bad?

Is quoting the bible bad?

Discussion related to the 12 Traditions

Is quoting the bible bad?

Postby jonsouthman » Tue May 18, 2010 9:45 am

At a meeting recently, when talking about the third step, and turning my will and life over to the care of god as I understand him, I talked of being cautious of the world around me, and I quoted 1Peter 5:8 NIV which reads "Be self controlled and alert, for the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour". I was using this in the context of protecting my sobriety from outside forces; people places and things. At the end of the meeting, an A.A. approached me and told me I was breaking traditions in quoting this. I always thought I should share my experience strength and hope. I finished my share by saying "I am blessed to be at a meeting, and I believe everyone else is also, but that's just my opinion", just as I always do. Am i breaking traditions by doing these things? I do not preach, nor do I use the "j" word -ever- at a meeting. Please give me some feedback on this as I am disturbed, and don't know how much of this resentment falls on my side of the street.
jonsouthman

Postby Dallas » Tue May 18, 2010 2:22 pm

Hello jonsouthman! Welcome to the site!

No. You're not breaking any traditions by including a Bible quote in your sharing. You might be ticking some people off by it -- but, you're not breaking any traditions. :wink:

AA's kind of like the outside world. You can mention any kind of religion or religious practice, and even athiesm or heathenism... and that's okay, as long as you don't mention Jesus, the bible, or Christianity. :lol: :lol:

Jesus, Christianity and the Bible... in AA or outside of AA in the normal world, are considered "politically incorrect"... because people know they can bash Christian believers... and the Christians will not slit their throat, they will pray for them and love them. :lol: :lol:

The key is: Don't take it personal, and remember that their real fight is with Jesus. And, He's big enough to fight His own battles. (I sure wouldn't want to go up against Him!) :wink:

Then, again, there might have been a few other silent believers in the room, that secretly thanked God for you doing that! There are some very devout Christians in AA. They just don't publicize it in AA, because they'd rather be peace-makers, and I think, not sure... that Jesus did say something about "blessed are the peace-makers."

Again, I would encourage you -- don't let it upset you. Let your Light shine. Walk the walk in front of them, peacefully, and by example.

Hey, I've had them attack me... for quoting the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous! :lol: :lol: Alkies, until they recover... have exposed nerves hanging outside themselves. If you walk by them too briskly, or breath too deep... you might touch a nerve. :lol: They will either get busy with the 12 Steps and get comfortable -- or, they'll return to drinking.

Hang in there! And, I wish the best for you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Tue May 18, 2010 7:28 pm

There's no AA rule about quoting from the Bible or from any other book. Or about talking about one's beliefs. One should not, however, equate Christianity--or any other religious belief--with AA. And AA itself, contrary to some of its critics, is not a religion. AA's purpose is to help us to achieve and maintain sobriety. The practice of love and tolerance is probably the best approach to others inside and outside of AA.

Yes, I've heard about people launching into anti-Christian rants in AA and some who lambast anything having to do with religion. I try to let it roll off me like water off a duck's back rather than like buckshot off a duck's heart.

I attend a weekly men's Bible study at a local church, and I've run into men there who are AA members. I've also occasionally run into people at my church on Sundays who are in AA.

I've never encountered anything about AA's practices or the 12 steps that is contrary to my Christian beliefs. But if I had only the church to rely on, its doubtful I could have gotten or stayed sober. They're good, well-meaning people, but they don't understand alcoholism like another alcoholic does, whatever his beliefs.
Tim

Postby DiggerinVA » Wed May 19, 2010 6:26 am

In the early days they spent a lot of time with the book of James. You may want to look into the Oxford Group writings after all the 12 steps came from their 4. I would suggest the book When Man Listens by Cecil Rose. It has been reprinted recently.
DiggerinVA

Postby Dallas » Wed May 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Or, some AA books could be checked out and I believe they are very good in the information...

AA Comes of Age
Dr. Bob & The Good Old-Timers, and
Pass It On.

Another, would be a book, titled:
Not-God, by Ernest Kurtz, a well-known and highly respected historical writer, who would be, IMO, an authoritative AA Historian..
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ccs » Sun May 30, 2010 11:20 pm

just remember one thing Bill and Dr BOB`s big book was the BIBLe
the AA book come along later( In my oppinion ) the steps are biblical it all started with the BIBLE some may say its not ""AA Aproved"" but is is AA`s roots

and like Dallas said something about the exposed nerves of Alkies some stay exposed for many years :) we`re all human cant please everyone but some one needed to hear that Bible quote that day I stay true to sharing from the heart thats what its all about one alkie heart tuoching another and helping to heal KEEP UP the GReat sharing GOD BLESS

Your Sister in CHRIST /Sobriety

Cess
ccs

Postby Ranman99 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:55 am

The steps don't interfere with any of the premises of the worlds spiritual practices and there is a pretty good reason for that in my humble opinion.

Of course within the rooms I like to see that there is no opinion on outside issues and no controversy.

The team put a pretty good book together back in '39 considering they were all drunks. Man I could not imagine doing it with the 'A' Team in my home group me included.

The greatest blessing I can have is to not practice contempt prior to investigation (I think Bill said that in as Bill sees it or is it in the Reflections) and where my home group is most of the world’s major religions and non religions are prevalent so I keep it very general. It's all HP. I would not quote the Christian bible or the Bhagavad Gita or the Upanishads or anything here for fear of turning someone off. And at least here I would likely just give a friendly caution after the meeting to anyone that did.

Weird thing is I used to be an Atheist and if anything I try the hardest not to turn them off cuz I know I how felt many years ago. The God thing kept me out for a number of rounds.
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:47 pm

I try to be kind and considerate of others. If I piss the guy off -- I'm sure not going to be able to help him. I try to meet them where they are at and look them in the eyes. My beliefs are not important to me or to them, other than my belief that -- I can not have one eeny tiny bit or drop of alcohol -- because I'm alcoholic. :lol: :lol:

I'll identify as an athiest with him, and agnostic, a true believer, a christian, an ex-jew, a heathen, a sinner, a disciple, and an alcoholic... if I can help the guy to put down the jug and give some actions a try.

I believe the reason most alcoholics get nerved up with labels on God or religion -- is that most of us have been preached at -- a whole bunch. Most of us have heard how wrong we are. Heck, tell me something I don't know! :lol: :lol:

When we haven't been through the Steps or had a Spiritual Awakening and Transformation -- we're full of fear, resentment, self-centeredness, Narcissistic, defiant, feeling lonely, sad, remoresful, guilty and inadequate. And, all that is going on inside us -- when we hear the G-word, or a Particular Name of a G-word. So, we use it as an excuse to flip out. Heck, I've flipped out for a lot less than that before! :lol: :lol:

So, I try to remember, in meetings... that I'm in the room with some nerved up jokers... that are sitting on powder kegs looking for reasons to go off on the world. Why light a match to their fuse? Make them light it on their own!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:48 pm

btw: I don't mean just make that stuff up. I can identify with it. Been there, done that. Not making it up. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Traditions Discussion