- Tradition 5

Tradition 5

Discussion related to the 12 Traditions

Re: Tradition 5

Postby Dallas » Tue May 08, 2012 3:41 am

Good to hear from you John Boy.

I think that for those few of us, that were either blessed, or lucky enough -- to have fallen into and sobered up in AA Groups that were solid Old-Fashioned AA, where structure, discipline, sponsorship, the Traditions, and Specifically AA Recovery was passed on to us -- we have to remember that we are a rare breed. We had the opportunity to be mentored by AA's that were sober longer than many of us had been alive. Many of those old-timers were the Pioneer's who formed the earliest and oldest AA meetings. They knew what worked. They knew how it worked. And, they knew what happens to those that either work it, and also what happens to those that continue to find some "other way" that might work.

We do our best to pass on --- what was passed on to us. Then, it's up to the others as to what they want to do with it. They can continue slipping in and slipping out the doors. But, hopefully, one or two might remember what we shared -- and someday, down the road, when doing-what-they're-doing isn't working -- they will become willing to try and do it differently -- their next time around.

I used to feel like it was my duty and responsibility to "try and save AA." :-) I wasn't alone in that. Bill W. felt the same way. Bill finally concluded "I've done all that I can do. The Fellowship now has the book, which has the program. The groups have the Traditions. The General Service Conference is in place. And, AA has officially came of age.

Most often, when we share "what it (AA) was like" and how and why it survived -- we'll be labeled as "the bleeding deacons." I'm sure that this was going on as far back as 1939 -- as much as it goes on today.

The conclussion that I came to for myself was: AA is a God deal. It's His thing. And, most of the time when I'd get upset at "what THEY were doing" -- it was mostly because of my fear -- that "they'll screw it up." LOL. And, that God helped me to be in those meetings & situations to remind me that "I'm not-God." Which would help me to achieve an opportunity to attain a little bit more humility.

I can no more fix AA's problems at the group level -- than I can fix myself or keep myself sober. I continually run into situations that remind me of just how Power-less I am.

It's tough some times to bite my lip and chew on my tongue to keep from straightening them out. :-)

So, I sit way in the back, w/ the guys who are still stinking. Still shaking. Waiting to get their court-cards signed so that they can get out of there and have a drink! :-) I understand those guys. I relate to them. And, because of that -- we're able to strike up casual conversations outside the meeting. And, every so often -- it appears that something I said in the parking lot w/ them -- they end up carrying it back into the meeting. They change. The meeting begins to change. They stay sober. They help others. And, I get no more bleeding deacon remarks. LOL.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby john boy » Tue May 08, 2012 8:09 am

Hi Toast,

I too have a false impression of myself :lol:...with the exception of my alcoholism where I am fortunate to know the truth. I pray I never waiver from this belief. Thanks for writing.

best thoughts,
John
john boy

Postby john boy » Tue May 08, 2012 10:21 am

Hi Dallas,

I am in line with your view in all of this...I attended the group conscinece twice presenting my view. When I have spoke on this matter I attempted to do so without being over-zealous. I have shared my view and will let God decide.

best thoughts,
John
john boy

Postby Dallas » Tue May 08, 2012 7:52 pm

I understand John.

When I was new -- I used to wonder why the old-timers didn't speak out more often.
Finally -- I came to understand why. More times than once I've been invited to "go find another meeting." LOL.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Frananne » Tue May 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Today someone shared about their spouse suggesting they get just one beer and a "rock". This was just distracting for me because I am clueless about what that meant. I guess I prefer the talk stick to alcohol so my feeble brain can stay focused.
Frananne

Previous

Return to 12 Traditions Discussion