"the vision of God’s will?" What is it? How do yo

Postby Dallas » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:43 pm

"Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God’s
will into all of our activities. “How can I best serve
Thee—Thy will (not mine) be done.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Susan » Sat May 03, 2008 6:27 pm

How about one question at a time Dallas, i am fried you know.
Susan

Postby john boy » Sun May 04, 2008 9:41 am

Dallas,

In my opinion it is an extension of the beginning of the paragraph where Bill is emphasizing ...never let up....we cannot and must never rest....maintain your spirituality....failure to do so will....

well....here's my opinion.....I MUST be prepared, every moment for the rest of my life.... for in the darkest of nights my disease will call...come for me....and the only thing to stand bewtween me and a drink is my spirituality....

1. What does that precisely and specifically mean to you?

2. What is it: "the vision of God's will" ?

3. I notice that it says "we must" ... it doesn't say "it is suggested."

4. I wonder why it says "we must" -- instead of "we suggest"?

5. I would have to know the answer to Question #2, above... before I could even contemplate what it means to "carry it" How do you "carry it"?

6. Is it a generalized statement or uniquely individual? Meaning... "the vision of God's will"... Is this a "common will" that applies to "all of us"... Or, is it like "God's will for me" as uniquely for me?

7. "the vision of God’s will?" What is it? How do you get it? How do you know? How do you carry it? How do you do it?

Am I asking too many questions?

Hey. What can I say? I have an inquiring mind. And, "if" it is so important that "I must do it"... that makes it pretty important to me to try and figure out what it really means.

I have read the paragraph numerous times -- and actually each time I've read it in the past -- I just some how assumed that I knew what it meant.

This time when I read it... it really got my attention. And, the more I thought about it... the more curious I got to read what you have to say about it!

Would you mind explaining what it means to you and/or answering the questions?

Thank you!

Dallas

john boy

Postby Dallas » Sun May 04, 2008 10:17 pm

Hello finch and john boy!

Thanks for your replies!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Mon May 05, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi.

To me it seems pretty simple.

"Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities."

That's simple, huh? "Every day is a day" which means every day. Then we got "all our activities". So that means everything, right? So the vision of God's will MUST be in everything on every single day, right?

So how do I figure what the vision of God's will is every single day in every single activity?

Well I know the writers of the book want us to keep things simple, so I think the answer is in the next sentence.

"How can I best serve Thee-Thy will (not mine) be done."

It tells me exactly what to do and how to do it. I can exercise my willpower along this line all I wish. It is the proper use of the will.

So really the only thing I MUST do is ask God as I understand Him every single day in every single activity:

"How can I best serve Thee-Thy will (not mine) be done."

I mean I could be wrong here, but that's all the more complicated I want to make this.

I think there's some words in that dusty old religious book that some folks go to for insight. Now I will mention that this is not something of a "religious" thing, but more like a universal spiritual principle (I find a lot of those universal spiritual principles in that old dusty book). I think this "saying" is another good way of looking at the "vision" of God's will that the Big Book of AA says I MUST carry:

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

I like that because it also seems like a simple way of remembering the Third Step, and it pretty much says the same thing as that quote from the Big book.
garden variety

Postby GeoffS » Wed May 07, 2008 7:59 pm

For me the whole thing is encapsulated in the idea, that gods will for me is to accept that everything right now is exactly as it should be. When i accept that and do the next right thing, life is good. When I do anything other, my will gets in the way and god shows me this by making things go against my will. They are still as they should be, exactly. I me just me I myself am the one who has gotten out of step, thats why I feel things are wrong.
GeoffS

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics