- "Action, and more action"

"Action, and more action"

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

"Action, and more action"

Postby garden variety » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:54 am

I heard Dallas going on about actions, and taking actions to stay sober because he couldn’t trust his “beliefsâ€
Last edited by garden variety on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:21 pm

:lol:

Thanks for sharing, Paul!

Step 2, is: "Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

Leaving the idea of a concept of God alone -- for just a little bit, I can look at that Step, and by taking reflective thought and observations, I can make a huge list of many Powers that are greater than me. Electricity. Kinetics. Energy. Microwave, Radio wave, broadcast waves, magnets, magnetic fields........ Mathmatics, a seed that turns into a plant and bears fruit, Life, and on and on and on and on.

By observing those Powers greater than me... to understand or make sense of any of it... there must be some underlying Powerless principles. The principle does not have any Power. But, when the principles are applied... through the application of "Applied Principles"... it produces those Powers that are greater than me.

Where do the particles and principles come from? They come from the God, that created the particles and principles, and through the application of applying the principles... it produces observable Powers.

God gave us the ability to observe the principles at work in His universe.

And, if we work with those principles... and apply them in a structured and disciplined way.... we can use them as Power Tools... to do what we previously could not do.

If God did it all for us... He would have to take the credit and responsibility for our misery and pains and the harms that we do to each other and to His universe.

Since God created us... in many ways like Himself (in His image?)... He gave us the ability to reason, to experiment, to conclude, to observe, to think out-of-the-box.... to discover those principles and to see what happens when we mix them together, shake them up.... pour them out, stick our fingers in the results... and either get warm, or cold, or electrocuted!!!! :lol: We can use those principles to fry our bacon... or to get our bacon fried!!! :lol:

God showed me His face, by showing me the face of Life, the face of His creation, the faces of His creatures, and the faces of other alcoholics -- that achieved and maintained sobriety.... by applying the principle of the "Application of Applied Principles" --- in other words, the Tools... God's Tool-kit. the 12 Steps, the Big Book, the Fellowship... and God said "Here are the tools... use them or lose them."

God gave me the gift of you! Even though you are not mine and really you are not your's!!! You are Gods. You belong to Him. And, you acknowledged that, when you gave your will and life and everything that is you or yours... to Him! :lol:

But, I wouldn't have had the gift of you, had you not given me the present of the presence of you! You did that. God didn't do it. He wanted to do it. But, He couldn't do it -- without your participation and cooperation... of taking certain actions... so that your path would cross my path.

You didn't know our path would cross... and obviously, I didn't know it. But, God knew it, because... God just happens to know everything! :lol:

So, thank you, Paul. And, thank you, God... for Paul! :wink:

Live. Laugh. Learn. Love. And, Pass It On!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this thread!

Was breezing through the forum, cuz I have off work for MLK day, ( & it's way too breezy outside ) & came upon this topic.

This action thing has refreshed my sobriety in a fantastic way, & kept me from getting messed up in my head.

It's a beautiful way for this alcoholic to keep it simple, keep trudging the road, keep being of service & keep open to new ways of being & doing. Life is always fresh, always new!

No couch potato recovery today! Now, off to action!

Thank you, Paul & Dallas. :D
sunlight

Postby sunlight » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:50 pm

Which brings me to the :?:

What actions are you taking today to keep you serene, sane & sober?
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:42 pm

Thank you, Sunlight!

Sunlight wrote:What actions are you taking today to keep you serene, sane & sober?

The same actions that got me serene, sane & sober! :wink:

Suit up. Show up. Set up. Clean up. And, reach out!

Also...

Steps 10, 11 & 12... the Day-to-Day Living Program.

Working. Eating. Having fun. Working at staying healthy. Being productive. Paying my taxes. Tags and insurance paid. No warrants. No outstanding amends to make. Playing hard. Laughing often. Learning often. Loving as often as I can.... Keeping a close check on my thinking and attitudes. Monitoring what I choose to do with my "free will." Making sure that I'm making choices and taking actions to keep my free-will freely making positive choices.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jools » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:45 am

This is deep, deeep, DEEEEEEP stuffs!!

Actions:

Making phone calls to other alkies just to see how they're doing today.

Praying for others and their families.

Being present for y'all. *wink*
Jools

Postby garden variety » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:51 am

"The Days of Our Lives"

- Call an alcoholic at 6:00AM to remind them to take their medications. Check up on their physical health, ask them about how they are feeling emotionally. Remind them to eat."

- Go grocery shopping for an alcoholic. Unload and give them their change. ALL OF IT !:shock:

- Go to AA meeting

- Call support group (4 guys in my home group). Call sponsor and ask about his wife's health - didn't see him at home group.

- Call best friend and agree on having a sober "Super Bowl Party" (he's from Pittsburgh - we're both Steelers fans). He tells me to invite 20 people - men and women. (I follow his suggestions because he has 29 years of sobriety)

- Take mom grocery shopping

- Hang "ceiling fan" and finally finish "project"

- Respond to "bad news" an alcoholic receives. Asks for a visit and support in phone call. Pay a visit and read "Big Book" passages and "The Four Absolutes". Have discussion.

- Visit alcoholic lady-friend. Rent stand-up comedy DVD. Laugh a lot! Kiss goodbye and go home. Let dogs out, feed dogs. Pray. Good-night.
garden variety

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics