- A.A. OFFIECERS

A.A. OFFIECERS

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

A.A. OFFIECERS

Postby schooner » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi Guys/Gals

And there's this new A.A. group that just sprung-up about a month ago.

And what's somewhat funny is they have no Chairperson.

The only A.A. officers are: Secretary & Treasurer. And NO CHAIRPERSON.

Don't you think that a Chairperson should be elected ?

According to the A.A. Group pamphlet " The A.A. Group . . . Where It All Begins."

Shows the A.A. Structure with: Chairperson right up there.

I called a Group Consciense Meeting concerning this matter and I was told my the Secretary the in lue of the chairperson the secretary can take the meeting and duties over.

This is true. However, the Chairperson officership is not open for anyone who might want to serve. The Secretary is holding two positions.

What can one do with a A.A. situation like this according to A.A. ?

Any and all suggestion in accordance with A.A. will be greatly appreaciated.

Thank You All
GOD BLESS

Schooner 8)
schooner

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:28 am

Hello Schooner,

Once again, the answers to your questions and concerns can be found in the 12 Traditions.

Alcoholics Anonymous - Twelve Traditions

1. Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon A.A. unity.

2. For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority — a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.

3. The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop drinking.

4. Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or A.A. as a whole.

5. Each group has but one primary purpose — to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.

6. An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.

7. Every A.A. group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.

8. Alcoholics Anonymous should remain forever non-professional, but our service centers may employ special workers.

9. A.A., as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.

10. Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy.

11. Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films.

12. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.

Copyright A.A. World Services, Inc.

I'm familiar with the group structure that you mentioned that the new group has formed. In the Southern California area, where I got sober, that's how most groups are structured. A secretary and a treasurer, and sometimes the secretary is the treasurer. No Chair-person. The secretary may select a person, usually a different person each week, to lead the format of the meeting. And, sometimes... the secretary doesn't pick someone to lead the meetings... the secretary leads each meeting.

It only takes two alcoholics getting together for the purpose of recovery to call themselves an A.A. Group. And, most A.A. Groups start out with only two members. Sometimes... when a new group starts, there is only one sober A.A. member, and the other alcoholic is the alcoholic that the sober A.A. member is trying to help achieve sobriety (he/she, the other member may not be sober yet).

The 12 Traditions cautions us to not get too organized or professional because it will cause friction and conflicts within the group, which will interfere with the groups primary purpose of carrying it's message to the alcoholic that still suffers.

Some groups operate without a formal secretary or treasurer. They keep it real simple. Sometimes they register the group with the A.A. GSO and sometimes they don't.

Just like any alcoholic can be a member of A.A. if they say they are... any two A.A. members can form a group.

My suggestion would be: instead of calling for a group conscience meeting during the meetings... simply make a request to meet privately with the two A.A.'s that started the group... at a time other than meeting time. Go out for coffee and have a nice talk. They will probably explain to you why they do what they do and what their vision is for the new A.A. Group. If you like their answers you may want to support them and help them to achieve their objectives. If you don't like their answers, no problem. Just attend other meetings, or get yourself a coffee pot and another alcoholic and start a group and do things as the two of you believe that they should be done.

In the scenario that you've described, I believe the most important thing to consider is Tradition One: Unity. And, Tradition Four: Autonomy.

Tradition One "Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon A.A. Unity."

Tradition Two "For our group purpose, there is but one ultimate authority - a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience."

Tradition Four "Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or A.A. as a whole."

Tradition Five "Each group has but one primary purpose - to carry it's message to the alcoholic who still suffers."

Do what you can to be a helper and to be helpful to anyone and any AA Group, that is trying to do something to help alcoholics to recover. Stick together even when you think the group is doing it wrong. Recognize and understand that it's okay to be different and it's okay for any group to do it different. And, most important: Practice unity. Identify and support rather than compare and find differences. Progress comes slowly and perfection is rarely achieved. Without unity A.A. could disappear entirely and then we'd all be screwed. We need each other to survive.

I hope that helps.

Dallas

P.S. "Blessed are the flexible... for they shall not break." :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Hey Dallas ~ I couldn't agree with you more however . . .

Postby schooner » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:33 pm

that being said. As an A.A. member with many yrs. (which really doesn't matter)

There's one thing that I know and I don't know if I mention it.
The church that the new A.A. is held has a BIG NEON SIGN ON ITS PROPERTY.

Flasing messages of the church serives and times.

Along with A.A. meeting times and it FLASHES AND FLASHES.

Now you and I know at least I do.
A.A. in a program of ATTRACION not PROMOTION.

So I will not go to that A.A. meeting and leave the founders of that A.A. meeting to let GOD handled 'em. Amen.

GOD BLESS YOU DALLAS

Schooner 8)

P.S. one of the co-founders has 45yrs. of sobriety (GO FIGURE )
schooner

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:20 am

Schooner wrote:GOD BLESS YOU DALLAS

Thank you, Schooner.
I really appreciate that.

It's the nicest thing I've heard anyone say today! :wink:

You're very kind and thoughtful. And, I sure do appreciate your participation here on the site.

God bless you, too!!!

And, let's pray that God will bless the efforts of those alkies that started that new meeting, too. Hopefully, they will be able to help many alcoholics to achieve sobriety. And, even if they don't find a willing prospect... they'll probably stay sober because they are trying to be helpful.

It's often very hard to get a new meeting and a new group started. Most of the time a lot of mistakes are made. I know that from my own experience. I sure screwed up a lot of times -- but I didn't give up trying. That's because I know that I'll always have a lot to learn, and I'm sure I'll make many more mistakes in the future... if I have a future! I just hope I didn't cause an alkie go back to drinking over some of the mistakes that I made. My intentions and motives were good. It just seems like sometimes I had it going backwards, and I didn't learn easy, without some hard knocks. My sponsor often tells me to stop being so hard on myself! :wink:

Isn't it an awesome and a wonderful thing that God loves us -- and that He shows us loving-kindness and mercy and forgiveness and He has patience with us? Sometimes, I wonder if He see us like His little kids? Like, He knows that we have so much to learn?

We sure are lucky and fortunate and have so much to be thankful for!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

GODS GRACE & SALVATION

Postby schooner » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:44 am

Dallas wrote:
Schooner wrote:GOD BLESS YOU DALLAS

Thank you, Schooner.
I really appreciate that.

It's the nicest thing I've heard anyone say today! :wink:

You're very kind and thoughtful. And, I sure do appreciate your participation here on the site.

God bless you, too!!!

And, let's pray that God will bless the efforts of those alkies that started that new meeting, too. Hopefully, they will be able to help many alcoholics to achieve sobriety. And, even if they don't find a willing prospect... they'll probably stay sober because they are trying to be helpful.

It's often very hard to get a new meeting and a new group started. Most of the time a lot of mistakes are made. I know that from my own experience. I sure screwed up a lot of times -- but I didn't give up trying. That's because I know that I'll always have a lot to learn, and I'm sure I'll make many more mistakes in the future... if I have a future! I just hope I didn't cause an alkie go back to drinking over some of the mistakes that I made. My intentions and motives were good. It just seems like sometimes I had it going backwards, and I didn't learn easy, without some hard knocks. My sponsor often tells me to stop being so hard on myself! :wink:

Isn't it an awesome and a wonderful thing that God loves us -- and that He shows us loving-kindness and mercy and forgiveness and He has patience with us? Sometimes, I wonder if He see us like His little kids? Like, He knows that we have so much to learn?

We sure are lucky and fortunate and have so much to be thankful for!

Dallas

Hey Dallas

I couldn't agree with you more on all that you said.
I was so blessed (not that I'm any better than anyone else in the world)

But my GOD JESUS CHRIST works in such marvelous ways. Here I am with 31 yrs. of sobriety that was just GIVEN TO ME by my Higher Power; JESUS CHRIST.

I should have been drunk a million times and even till today with ALL MY DRY DRUNKENESS. Any "YET" I've not taken a drink of alcohol ONLY BY THE LOVING GRACE OF JESUS CHRIST.

And still I have resentments sometimes.

And still if you cut me off on the road I've been know to chase you down and try to get you out of your car. So I can beat you half-to death.

And still today I can curse my wife and would love to beat her to death,
(But Don't)

Only by GODS grace I'm sober if that's what you want to call it. My soberiety at times is NOT WORTH A WOODEN NICKEL as far as I'm concerned.

And YET JESUS still keeps me sober along with A.A. (Thank GOD)

MY PRAYER:
Oh GOD! when will YOU deliver me to be the man YOU want me to be ?
Help me to surrender to YOUR will always please.

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY DALLAS

Schooner :cool:
schooner

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:29 am

Schooner wrote:But my GOD JESUS CHRIST works in such marvelous ways. Here I am with 31 yrs. of sobriety that was just GIVEN TO ME by my Higher Power; JESUS CHRIST.

You are very lucky Schooner!!!

I think that it's wonderful that Jesus Christ has given you sobriety. That's totally awesome. I used to really envy people like you. And, I've seen it happen to others since I was a little kid, and my father was a minister and doing what he could to help alcoholics. (I only heard them referred to as drunks and sots back then). They made up the finest and most dedicated bunch of members and deacons in the churches that my dad started. I lived with many of them while my mother and father would be gone doing church business. They were the kindest, most generous, and most loving people that I had ever known. They were real alcoholics and they just seemed to get an immediate and over-whelming spiritual experience that totally changed them in the twinkling of an eye.

Later in my life, after I had become addicted to alcohol and drugs, and I was still young... I had one of those experiences myself. It was like I was struck clean and sober. The experience lasted for a few years. But the longest I was totally sober (like we mean it in AA) was for about six months. I didn't always drink and get drunk. It was like I could semi-control it.

Eventually, I reached the point of where I was pretty much drinking around the clock. The fun was gone. I was drinking to maintain some sort of sanity and for the ability to be socially acceptable with the rest of the world. I was angry. Hurt. Sad. Depressed. Lonely. I didn't trust anything or anyone. And, I wanted to be left alone. God and I had some pretty big fights with each other. Or, what's more correct is, I had some pretty big fights with God. I felt like He and Life and the World were all just out to get me and I had to fight hard to survive and to make it. It reached a point of where I hated God and I even hated myself -- so, I drank more and more to try not to think about it.

I landed in AA and I couldn't completely give myself to the simple program because it had the words "God" in it. I was determined that I was going to be my own God and if there was going to be a Higher Power, it was going to be me.

I stayed sober for about 5 1/2 months with me playing God, and if I could have made it sober for two more weeks -- I would have been totally convinced that I was the only God that would ever have anything to do with me, my world and my life.

Then, I started drinking again and couldn't get sober. I even went back to AA and couldn't get sober. I would drink and read the Big Book, trying to figure out why I couldn't get sober like those in AA.

Still drinking, and often drunk -- I figured that I should stay away from AA meetings, but I should try to help some other drunks, to repay for my brief stint of sobriety in AA. I felt a lot of guilt and remorse and failure that I had screwed up my chance of sobriety in AA. So, drunk, I would try to carry AA's message to other drunks by giving them Big Books, and telling them that if they ever wanted to get sober -- to go to AA, read the book, get a sponsor, take the steps, and don't ever drink again -- or, they would end up like me -- a drunk that was doomed to die drinking.

On one day that I remember well, I cried out to God for help. I didn't know what God to pray to. I had been trying to pray to any God that would listen to me, even to Jesus -- and it seemed like none of them (if there were more than one, I didn't know) would have anything to do with me. On this particular day, in my prayer, I explained that I didn't want to piss them off and make them madder at me -- but I was trying to reach the God that was getting drunks sober in A.A. And, I asked in my prayer "I don't know if there is one or a bunch of you Gods, and I don't want to make any of you mad at me, but I need help. Please help me find that God or Higher Power or whatever it is, that's helping those drunks in AA to be sober!"

My prayer was answered on November 14th. 1986, at 2:45 pm, and I haven't had a drink since then.

But, I was far from being "struck sober" or just having sobriety "given to me." I've had to work very hard to get it and to keep it. Yes, God has helped me to do the things that I couldn't do -- but I've had to work very hard and with a lot of constant effort to do the things that I can do. Like take the 12 Steps. Go to meetings. Have a sponsor. Make amends for my whole life -- past and present. And, always make time to try to help other alcoholics. And, to change. To try to become more like what God would want me to be like. To change my personality and to change my actions.

My suggestion, if I had one, for you Schooner, is "Hang on to what you've got!!! If you ever lose it -- it might not be given to you again. And, you might end up like me -- having to work very hard to get it and to keep it!"

Best regards,

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics