- Taking newcomers to meetings

Taking newcomers to meetings

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Taking newcomers to meetings

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:50 pm

For me, one of the joys and benefits of taking newcomers to meetings is -- it's like being in the Labor & Delivery section of a hospital -- with the difference being -- I get the joy of watching adults -- get reborn! :lol:

On three nights a week, I get to pick up a car-load of newcomers at a treatment center and take them to A.A. meetings. The hardest part about the deal -- is taking them back to the treatment center, and then having to leave without them.

If you haven't experienced this joy -- I would highly suggest contacting a treatment center in your area, if there is one -- and offer to take some newcomers to A.A. meetings. For me, it's an experience I wouldn't want to miss! For a couple of hours it totally takes my mind off of myself and it feels better and better and better and better -- each time I do it.

If there are no treatment centers in your area, and you have an A.A. Central Office or Intergroup Office, you might want to contact them to be sure that your name is on a list for people that can give rides to meetings.

It sure works for me!!! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jools » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:45 pm

Dallas,

I know whatcha mean about the joy. There are a quite a few halfway house folks who go to one of the meetings I do and there is a bus stop right out front. I've given several people a ride home and told them if they ever need a ride to the meeting just give me a call. They're always so grateful, but I am grateful to have the opportunity and the car and I've often thanked God for that It also helps me to get out of self for a while.

The treatment center here provides a van for folks who're staying there. They won't allow the people there to go to meetings with anyone else.

Thanx for sharing your experience with us.

Julie
Jools

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics