- Meeting topics

Meeting topics

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby garden variety » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi RD1angel,

I don't know the meeting format where you're chairman. Is it an AA meeting on the schedule? Discussion? How many home group members do you have?

Something that usually worrks and brings out comments is reading the book and have each person read, then go around the room and ask for comments based on the reading. We always stick to the Drs Opinion, 164 pages of the "basic text", then Dr. Bob's Nightmare. If you read half a chapter, you have a lot of discussion material.

This is a format of "Big Book" meetings called "Miami Style". There's only a couiple of those in Akron and Cleveland which is not a lot considering there's about 1300- 1400 meetings a week around here. If you do it "Miami Style", you can't help but get into the solution.

Now I also went to a meeting down there in West Virginia not too long ago that was a "discussion" meeting. But they did a lot of readings before they discussed things. They read the "preamble", How it Works, 12 Traditions, 12 promises, 24 hour book, and "As Bill Sees it". Then they asked the group if anyone had a topic other than in something that was read. When I was there, ironically, they started talking about what alcoholics should do when they get their teeth fixed or pulled and they get a pain prescription (and sure enough most of them had teeth problems!)But the teeth topic got changed by a fellow who was washing his boss's car and got a resentment - so it changed to resentments. But all in all, it was a good meeting with a lot of discussion.

Just a couple ideas.
garden variety

Postby sunlight » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:06 pm

It reminds me of school, with kids throwing spitballs, paper airplanes, passing notes & doing anything but paying attention! And the more upset the teacher got, the more they did it! ( I did it?)

I attend many meetings like that & chair them too. What works for me is to ENGAGE people. Not only with words and reading, but physically. I'll even get out of my chairperson seat & sit on the table in front of someone, or in the place next to them & say, "Y'know here's my experience with this. Tell me about yours." Getting up close & personal like this has been pretty effective without being intimidating.
You can get really creative with this! A sense of humor is also engaging & useful. And keeping "conscious contact" is a must for me, so I don't get too wrapped up in the outcome & remember this is God's deal.

I try to keep in mind that I'm not responsible for their behavior or recovery. I AM responsible for carrying the message, my behavior & my recovery. And for keeping order in the meeting when I'm chairing. Rule 62 is good too, especially when that spitball hits my eye!

Thanks for letting me share RD 1 angel! Bless you for your efforts!
Last edited by sunlight on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunlight

Postby sunlight » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:18 pm

This isn't really a topic, but it "can" make for a good meeting.

The meeting format here goes like this: First there is a moment of silence for the alcoholic who still suffers, followed by the serenity prayer. Then the chairperson asks if there is anyone here for their 1st, 2nd or 3rd meeting since their last drink. Then, is there anyone in their 1st 30 days?
60 days?etc. Then something is read from the big book.Then the chair asks if anyone has a topic for the meeting. Many times no one does, & someone pipes up, "The SECOND moment of silence. Ha ha." :roll:

When this happens, & I'm the chairperson & there's no clear inspiration for a topic, I announce, "Can meeting!"

The can meeting was shared with me by a woman who has since taken her life (rest in peace, Dawn).
Before the meeting you write on 20-30 slips of paper different topics:honesty, serenity, insanity...& put them in a can. Then, the chairperson selects one person from the group & has them pick a topic from the can & share on it for x minutes, depending on the size of the group. The 2nd person doesn't pick till the 1st is finished sharing.

This makes for a stimulating meeting because, no one mentally rehearses what he's going to say when he gets called on, since he doesn't know what he's going to be asked to share about. And it eliminates people tuning out what others are sharing for the same reason. And no one gets off topic cuz everyone has his very own topic!

It's a fun way to liven things up on a dreary winter day or ANY day!
sunlight

Postby Jools » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:45 am

Oh, that's a good idea, Sun! When I finally get to chair a meeting I'll be sure and use that.

We do the 30, 60, 90 day thing at our group already. Last night was the night for that. Our meeting meets 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

It was a terrible meeting, regardless. It seems like SO many people are from recovery houses and a few of them Christian oriented so they share more from the Bible than they do the bb. AA in that group has lost it's singleness of purpose. Lots of addicts in that meeting

God bless,
Julie
Jools

Postby Dallas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:07 pm

I was just contemplating going out to the Friday Night Candle Light meeting... If I get there... I think I'll suggest the topic be: "Silence!" :lol: :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jools » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:15 am

Haha, Dallas!!!
Jools

Postby Dallas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:34 am

If you want a real laugh...
You have to keep a real straight and serious face...
and suggest that the topic is sex.... You can always use page 69, in the Big Book, if they take you up on it... and use page 96 if they don't!

Another good one is pages 132-133, Big Book
We absolutely insist on enjoying life!

Another..... somewhere here in the forum is:
"The 12 Steps in Reverse"...
Makes for a good light-hearted meeting discussion.

I like to leave a meeting feeling charged-up, energized and happy.

So I like talking about happiness, laughter, and its usefullness in helping myself and others.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics