- AA is a selfish program

AA is a selfish program

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:22 am

Good thread for me today. One thing I know is true today and that is I can not give what I don't have and as I am now giving as much as I can I'm getting even more. Another paradox :?

Thanks all for that just checking in for a some tid bits and saw exactly what I needed any how.

Had a good chat this morning with a new comer that is actually keen to do all the right stuff from the get go. I'll say a few words for him to the old HP :D
Ranman99

Postby ROBERT » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:30 am

Hi Dallas :D
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:15 pm

Hi Robert!!! Good to see you! Thanks for saying Hi! I appreciate you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby joelo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:16 pm

i never got this statement either, and it's one that ruffles my feathers every time i hear it. The very CORE of AA is to carry the message of AA to alcoholics and to practice these principles (prayer, meditation, making amends, etc) in ALL OUR AFFAIRS.

One thing about AA that gets my snit in a twivel is how certain members will repeat what an oldtimer says (no matter how foolish or ridiculous it is) simply because an oldtimer said it. Oldtimers are just as likely to be a Dry Drunk as anyone else.

OK, i'm off my soapbox.
joelo

Postby ROBERT » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm

The serenity prayer comes in handy--when I hear the program being mis-represented, I refer to the book, I may not change much, but I'm following tradition 5, and the still suffering that's supposed to hear the message will. Adios
ROBERT

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:08 pm

yup yup yup. I know this much is true that an old timer that is not working the steps is certainly no more sober than me 8) and usually quite a bit less so. Seen it time and time again.

My motto is I didn't get sober to remain miserable, angry, crusty, mean, cynical, etc. etc. ad infinitum. Just to do the best I can for everyone I can and lo and blood$%y behold! I get me some in return :?

As part of my morning ritual I read two pages from "As Bill Sees it" Daily reflections and yes the Hazledean 24 hours which has been banned from one of our meetings here (that's ok with me I never did like it in my agnostic days scared me off back then but it's mine now of course I interpret my way).

Today I remember "As Bill Sees It" page 226 was good for me though I can't remember what it said and don't have a copy at the office :oops:

This mornings meeting really was a goody for me here in Singapura!!!

Have a good tomorrow "all" it's lookin' all right here in Friday :D
Ranman99

Postby ROBERT » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:10 pm

Step 10 from our book says -This is not an overnite matter. It should continue for our lifetime, so it doesn't appear to me, a matter of not working the steps, I learned some valuable tools,as my sponser and I went through the 12 steps, I gained some long needed insight, as to the things that blocked any progress I could have as a human being, and having had an awakening as the result from that was the begining not the ending, and if I stop working, to grow in understanding and effectiveness, of right living, getting a better, closer relationship with my God of understanding, continue to build characture, then I'm nothing more than a dry drunk, so these people show me that I can really learn from others mistakes, as well as sucesses.The spiritual life is not a theory, I have to live it if I want to continue to to be sober and happy, and a useful member of society.I don't need to go back thru them for that, 10, 11, works great, but to stay frosty and give back, I work with new people, going thru the steps that way. THIS WORKS WHEN I DO IT, EVERY-- SINGLE-- TIME!
ROBERT

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:22 pm

Yes well putted.

My tag line for this is the difference between 10, 11, 12th being maintenence steps or this being a program for continued growth as per what you are saying here and as per Joe and Charlie and everyone else whom be in the know!

What I liked about the Joe and Charlie session is how they relate to step 10. When doing step 10 we often get the opportunity to do more of at least 2 through 9 but in the day!! Such as pissed at someone in the office and get a chance to catch ourselves may need to explore which character defect is coming to the surface etc. may need to make an amends etc. Sometimes need to just hand it over and let the fuc@#$rs figure it out for themselves may need to talk it out with a program friend or sponsor but in 30 minutes may be able to resolve the whole deal and it's done. Funny I call different program friends depending on what the trouble is. I also love to sleep well each and every night :wink:

If you listen to the Joe and Charlie step 10 off of Silkworth dot net this is what I mean. Back in March of this year this had an amazing impact on me as I just had not heard it put quite like that before. That's what I mean by working all 12 steps every day which is what I share when I feel like it 8)

Becuase step 1 is a given when I wake up and say thank you for another 24 hours becuase I do my thank you's in the morning. I'm a morning person. I do an 11 in the morning and another 11 at night but 10 is an all day step for me just like stated in the J and C as mentioned above.

12 is everywhere :P
Ranman99

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:43 pm

I guess one more thing relating to a number of items I've looked at on this site for the past few weeks. Some real time good stuff.

Last Wed. a local fellow came in to one of our morning meetings and it became apparent to me that he needed NA and not AA so I stopped to chat with him after the meeting as I do have a little experience to offer the bloke and exhanged numbers.

Well I shared this morning that I was pretty sure this fellow was going out on Wed. afternoon and he was also apprehensive to visit NA here in this fine city as he was sure it would be monitored by the gov. which is not unreasable but of course someone clean has nothing to worry about.

Anyhow I shared about this and in the morning AA meeting was given a contact for the husband of someone in our fine program who has 14 years NA and though our friend had gone out and did not responsd to messages yesterday he has responded today and agreed to meet the fellow with the 14 years NA so who knows something good maybe. Just in pondering mode this morning :roll:
Ranman99

Postby joelo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:52 am

Ranman99 wrote:As part of my morning ritual I read ... the Hazledean 24 hours which has been banned from one of our meetings

Banned? Wow ... so much for letting people see their higher power "as they understand Him"
joelo

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics