- AA is a selfish program

AA is a selfish program

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby DiggerinVA » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:46 pm

joelo wrote:
Ranman99 wrote:As part of my morning ritual I read ... the Hazledean 24 hours which has been banned from one of our meetings

Banned? Wow ... so much for letting people see their higher power "as they understand Him"

The book 24 Hours is based in the Oxford Group teachings. Which is based in Christianity, which is not a major religion in Singapore. So it makes sense to me. Kind of like a Muslim showing up in a Bruton Parish Prayer Meeting here in Williamsburg. I suspect not many atheist go to the Bruton meetings either.
DiggerinVA

Postby joelo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:39 pm

But BANNING one person's perception of God ... that i don't get. Am i missing something ... i mean ... you can't tell them what their Higher power MUST be, but we CAN tell someone what their Higher Power CANNOT be?
joelo

Postby gunner48 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:05 pm

They are not banning a persons perception of God. They banned a book based on it not being AA approved literture most likely. Some groups do not allow any book that is not Approved by AA. Most groups apply the group consience as their guide as to which books or literture can be used within the group. Not all members are of the Christian faith. It's really up to the group to decide the issue.

Peace and Love
gunner48

Postby DiggerinVA » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:27 pm

gunner48 wrote:They are not banning a persons perception of God. They banned a book based on it not being AA approved literture most likely. Some groups do not allow any book that is not Approved by AA. Most groups apply the group consience as their guide as to which books or literture can be used within the group. Not all members are of the Christian faith. It's really up to the group to decide the issue.

Peace and Love

An interesting thing about what is AA approved. Just what AA publishes is approved. Or at least that is my understanding.
DiggerinVA

Postby Tim » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:03 pm

DiggerinVA wrote:An interesting thing about what is AA approved. Just what AA publishes is approved. Or at least that is my understanding.

Something important to note is that if literature is not AA-approved that does not mean or imply that AA disapproves of it. AA does not have the resources to evaluate non-AA literature, so AA does not put its imprimatur on any non-Conference-approved publications.

Many AAs read and use non-AA recovery-related literature. The book of daily readings mentioned in a post above, Twenty-Four Hours A Day, was written by Rich W in 1948 and immediately became popular with AAs. It has since sold 9 million copies and is still widely read.
Tim

Postby ROBERT » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:03 pm

YEA, I read alot of non AA approved stuff, not in meetings however. Newcomers need -I need structure, and early on it was very important to have the tunnel vision of AA, as I was very undisciplined, and had the meetings allowed any 'ole stuff in, I'm quite sure I would not be sober today, my opinion, so the dogma AA has is a very effective one, from onset to now! The way things are in AA, and the ridgid adherence to tradition gave me a life I never imagined, and today I can allow a little wiggle room with things FOR ME, but the still suffering, real alcoholic, needs discipline,lots of it, the kind the steps provide, as it states in the book-I know I did, and to a degree, still do.Thanks to God, Bill, & Bob, a way up AND out still works just fine.
ROBERT

Postby Jim W » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:06 pm

ROBERT wrote:The serenity prayer comes in handy--when I hear the program being mis-represented, I refer to the book, I may not change much, but I'm following tradition 5, and the still suffering that's supposed to hear the message will. Adios

Maybe there should be a Tradition Thirteen:

"Forgive them for they know not what they do."
Jim W

Postby ROBERT » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:18 pm

That sounds alot like- principles before personalities, Jim W. My concern and only concern is that the still suffering, real alcoholic, who has a right to THE message, AND wants and needs it badly, gets the opportunity to hear it, others have a right to their opinions, no problem, I need to attempt to give back what has been given to me--it's not my job to pick who gets it, but it is a sense of duty, the right thing to do, it's a pleasure, and I'm taking out some more insurance when I- "Try to carry this message" good to hear from ya Jim, I've missed you.
ROBERT

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:32 am

Just did a quick scan and have to go back and read but it was mentioned above. Not AA conference approved. At the debate I put in my two cents as I did find where AA conference approved does not have anything to do with whatever any autonomous group chooses to read but some people thought 24 hours a but to over the top on God.

It was mostly foriegners that voted for it's removal;-)

If I had to guess more foriegners here are very protective of their rights to HP as the understand him probably more of the locals are Christians or Budhists. Don't see too many people practicing Islam coming in but there will be a few I know as I have a few feelers in that community but they like to take care of thier own normally in their own way.

Just my observations and the program is definatley growing here.

Ciao,
Ranman99

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:20 am

Good thread. I did not have this site when this was all going on here to hear some other opinions some months back but I did some research as you do. Below is not the quote I had but close enough:

From GSO Box 4-5-9 (Volume 23, No 4)
"Any literature that pertains to the principles of AA or is approved by a GROUP CONSCIENCE - is perfectly acceptable to be read by any AA member or in an AA meeting."

So funny thing was the group simply voted at the time to not read any non AAWA approved lit at the meetings so fair enough. Now then a few weeks later one of the people that set the whole thing off came in and read "How it works from the first addition big book" I just had to laugh as what I read at the group concious used that specific example that if a group were to follow that approach to conferenced approved or not you can not read from the first addition as it was never conferenced approved. There was no conference then and they never approved it. That night one of the other members commented on the fact that it was good to be reminded by why sometimes we need not be so rigid and are able to update our liturature. Just one of those topics that can get poeple all worked up but hey eventually I just let it slide 8)

Happy Saturday Y'All!
Ranman99

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics