- AA is a selfish program

AA is a selfish program

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:23 am

I mean AAWS sorry.
Ranman99

Postby Jim W » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:31 am

ROBERT wrote:That sounds alot like- principles before personalities, Jim W. My concern and only concern is that the still suffering, real alcoholic, who has a right to THE message, AND wants and needs it badly, gets the opportunity to hear it, others have a right to their opinions, no problem, I need to attempt to give back what has been given to me--it's not my job to pick who gets it, but it is a sense of duty, the right thing to do, it's a pleasure, and I'm taking out some more insurance when I- "Try to carry this message" good to hear from ya Jim, I've missed you.

You're rght, it is principles before personalities, but I was being tongue-in-cheek.

Once I had a guy come up to me after a meeting and tell me that he didn't think I should say some of the things I say when there are new people in the room. I told him that my job when asked to speak in AA is touch someone. I don't know who that is, maybe no one in that room. But I told him "Obviously I touched you." He hasn't bothered me since.
Jim W

Postby joelo » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:34 am

Tim wrote:Something important to note is that if literature is not AA-approved that does not mean or imply that AA disapproves of it. AA does not have the resources to evaluate non-AA literature, so AA does not put its imprimatur on any non-Conference-approved publications.

Many AAs read and use non-AA recovery-related literature. The book of daily readings mentioned in a post above, Twenty-Four Hours A Day, was written by Rich W in 1948 and immediately became popular with AAs. It has since sold 9 million copies and is still widely read.

MY issue is when certain oldtimers point their finger at me (when i'm having a conversation with someone else about a book i'm reading) and they tell me "ALL YOU NEED is the Big Book ... it's all in THERE" ... i want to SCREAM "Here are the steps that are SUGGESTED as a program of recovery" ... i mean, do NOT tell me what i should or should not read on my own time!

Tim, you bring up a good point about the AA Conference approved literature.

i guess i just have a REAL problem with people who think and act in absolutes! They TRAMPLE all over MY serenity when they poke their noses in and offer unsolicited advice. Aren't we told to not moralize and preach?
joelo

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:59 pm

When those old-timers piss you off -- remember, often their intentions are good. They're trying to help you save your ass -- rather than stand by and watch you fall off a cliff that they already fell off of.

True. Sometimes, the intentions might not be right. But, you can always use everything for your advancement -- even good stuff that comes from bad intentions.

AA Conference approved simply means: "It was printed by AA World Services or the Grapevine." That's all it means. It was printed in-house by AA's printing presses.

AA Groups can do what they want. Each is given the opportunity to succeed and the right to fail. So, let each group do as it does -- and when we don't like it -- we find another group -- or, we get our own coffee pot and start one. :lol:

I think most of us AA's go through phases... if we stay sober and active long enough to go through phases. We'll get too relaxed. We'll get too rigid. We'll take life and AA too seriously. Then, we'll take it not serious enough. Changes. Like the seasons. The changes do us good. The phases do us good. It eventually helps to mold us into something that can relate and identify -- and be able to be of maximum service... in a peaceful and non-threatening way. Some might call that love. I think love would be an over-statement. After we go through the Halo phase... some of us just try to hang on to our hair! :lol:

I understand the need for structure and discipline and focused AA Groups. It's something that we need more of. But, since we don't have more of it... we have to find a way to live comfortablly with "what is." And, that's not always such an easy thing to do! Trust me. I understand. :lol:

Once upon a time, in one of my Rigid Phases... of thumping the book about "AA Approved Literature" I was reading some AA approved literature... "Dr. Bob & the Good Old-timers" and "Pass it on"... when I discovered they wrote "we used anything we could get our hands on, we read anything and everything if we thought it would help". :lol:

That thought turned a light bulb on in my head, and it was like: "Duh!!! The objective here is to stay sober! That's our own individual Primary Purpose. If I'm not sober... I can't do anything about anything!" :lol: :lol:

So, then, it helped me to recognize... that yes, in AA we need structure and discipline in our meetings... Keep it that way... but, remind folks that "what you do outside of the meeting is what's going to determine your sobriety... not what you're doing inside the meeting." AA, the Fellowship, the meetings, can not keep you sober. The instructions in the book can help you to keep sober -- if you follow the instructions in the book by taking actions on what you comprehend.

Then, what's the secondary purpose of meetings, if the primary purpose is to "carry the AA message to the alcoholic"? I believe the secondary message is: "This is our experience inside AA, and inside the book of actions that I took... that teaches and taught me a better way of living outside of AA."

Hey, I'd suggest to read the fine print on the bottom of the trash can -- if it helps you to not pick up the next first drink.

It's easy for us to forget, and get all wrapped up into "theory and thinking"... that our real enemy... the thing that's really is out to get us... is not our self, or anything like that... it's our ALCOHOL-ISM.

We notice the words in the Big Book that says "We FEEL as though... we were safe and protected"... and if we stay sober long enough -- we discover that "feelings are not facts." We feel safe and protected... and once we buy into the feeling and think "yes! I'm safe and protected!" I've seen it over and over and over again... the alcoholic does something stupid... and the next thing he/she discovers is that they are sitting there at a table... or bar... or curb... asking "How the hell did that happen? I was so safe and protected! How did this happen to me!" :wink:

Yes. We do have an official plan of recovery. The 12 Steps. Yes, we do have an official book of instructions, "The Owner's Manual for the Alcoholic Brain"... (the Big Book)... and Yes, we still must keep mindful that there are certain times... we just need to read or do whatever it is that we need to read or do... to not pick up that next first drink. So, we do it.

Dallas
Last edited by Dallas on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks Dallas, you covered a lot of bases here. Reminds my of a coversation I had with someone some months back. Now I'm the type of guy that traditionally was never very good at practicing acceptance. This fellow was on about some circuit speaker a former marine I think who would speak that he did not get the acceptance thing and how he did not have to accept anyone's bad behaviour. I found myself pondering that and thinking when someone is behaving in a way which I may not think is correct I still need to accept that is how they are that day. I may not agree with it but acceptance still has the right power for me at that moment. Don't need to fight anything or anyone just do the next right thing that re-inforces my sobriety all of it mental, physical and spiritual and then I can give what I've got. Easy for me to give a lot of pain, wreckage and anger if I don't do what I need to do.

Well huge tropical rain storm here. Wanted ot hit the 8:30 morning meeting which today means taking my 5 year old with me and sitting here at a table near by with a colouring book. I think I'll make the effort. Might just be able to share somthing usefull to the universe 8)
Ranman99

Postby DiggerinVA » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:06 pm

Dallas wrote:
AA Conference approved simply means: "Wasn't printed by AA World Services or the Grapevine." That's all it means. It wasn't printed in-house by AA's printing presses.

Could you find me the list?
DiggerinVA

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:06 pm

I guess the mottoe is "Live and Let Live" Just happened to read 24 hours a day for today :P
Ranman99

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:12 pm

For the list go to aa dot org and look under A.A. literature and that will give you a guide of what is today approved by AAWS.

There is one book there called the A.A. Literature Catalogue which is downloadable.

Ciao,
Ranman99

Postby DiggerinVA » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:39 pm

Ranman99 wrote:For the list go to aa dot org and look under A.A. literature and that will give you a guide of what is today approved by AAWS.

There is one book there called the A.A. Literature Catalogue which is downloadable.

Ciao,

AAWS holds the copyright to those publications.
DiggerinVA

Postby ROBERT » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:57 am

Great stuff Dallas-Thank you, in the We agnostics chapter there is some very important words we're allowed to have at our disposal, but until I had some experience at sober living, and the gift of time the full implacation of those words escaped me--"Well that's *exactly* what this book is about. It's *main objective* is to enable you to find a power greater than yourself which will solve your problem." My problem was powerlessness, on my own, with all my will- I could not recover from the mental obsession-I needed a power that I did not have-the Book was my guide to that power-the obsession left me before I was through all the steps- and has stayed that way, so the *main objective* has been accomplished *exactly* as it is written. As I recieved more time, I sensed a need to explore other resources for recovery beyond alcoholism, I cannot recover any further from that,the obsession IS gone. I've had more, and deeper awarenesses about my self and spirituality thru time-so I took action, a principle learned thru recovery from alcoholism-there is a world of information about getting healthy, mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually, way beyond the confines of the Big Book, if anyone chooses to explore. Many simply believe the BB is the end, hence, the 'ole timers shouting "You only need the BB", THAT works for them,they are sober! For me , it was the end of the obsession, and will remain that way provided I follow a few simple rules, and the begining of a way of life, a forth dimension I never new existed, and all the battles that have taken place in my brain, my soul, and my body are many-so the BB took me to a level of awareness that dictates I must look further down the road less traveled, and in doing so I have found many rewards--bless the ones before me that showed me there was a solution to alcoholism, I love them dearly, and run into many that stay within the confines of the book, so be it, it's their life, I have a need to go beyond.So they are correct, those that proclaim the BB is sufficient, I agree, to a degree, especially when it concerns recovery from alcoholism, and confine the messages I share in meetings to just that, but in life out side of AA I do what I must to follow; To Thine own self...be true.
ROBERT

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics