- AA is a selfish program

AA is a selfish program

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby Dallas » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:58 am

Corrected Dallas wrote:AA Conference approved simply means: "It was printed by AA World Services or the Grapevine." That's all it means. It was printed in-house by AA's printing presses.

:lol: :lol:

I fixed it. Sorry. I was sleep typing. :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby joelo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:24 am

Lots'a good replies here ... thanks for sharing!!!
joelo

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:02 pm

"If you were to ask me what is the greatest danger facing A.A. today, I would answer: the growing rigidity--the increasing demand for absolute answers to nit-picking questions; pressure for G.S.O. to 'enforce' our Traditions; screening alcoholics at closed meeting; prohibiting non-Conference-approved literature, ie., 'banning books': and more rules on groups and members.

"The spirit of real old time AA is being destroyed as more and more people ignore one of Bill Wilson's favorite sayings: "Every group has the right to be wrong"

"Any AA can read anything any time anywhere for any purpose. There is no Tradition that says otherwise. There is no Tradition that can or should or will censor or "censure" what is presented at a meeting.

"And if someone thinks they've found the mythical tradition, tell them the Traditions are not laws, are not binding on anyone, and were never intended to prohibit free speech or freedom of religion or spiritual path by AAs or others.

"Those who suggest otherwise just don't know A.A. Nor do they know that early Alcoholics Anonymous studied the King James Version of the Bible, read all kinds of literature -- Protestant, Roman Catholic, New Thought, medical, and otherwise, and put out reams and reams of pamphlets and guides as the years went by. Included were pamphlets from many Central Offices and Intergroups -- including the long-running Cleveland Central Bulletin, the Akron AA pamphlets, The Four Absolutes. Then there were other writers mentioned below and not mentioned below – Dr. Silkworth, Clarence Snyder, Sister Ignatia, Marty Mann, Father Pfau, Richmond Walker, Ed Webster, and on-and-on.

"Not to forget over 500 Oxford Group and Sam Shoemaker books and pamphlets that were read and circulated by Dr. Bob himself. And let's not forget that the most ignored and suppressed writing of all by the "Mother of A.A." - Anne Smith's Journal - contained the heart of early A.A. and was discussed almost every morning during the Smith home Quiet Times."

From GSO Box 4-5-9 (Volume 23, No 4)
"Any literature that pertains to the principles of AA or is approved by a GROUP CONSCIENCE - is perfectly acceptable to be read by any AA member or in an AA meeting."

Barefoot Bob (1933 - 2009)
Last edited by Tim on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Postby DiggerinVA » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:57 pm

Dallas wrote:
Corrected Dallas wrote:AA Conference approved simply means: "It was printed by AA World Services or the Grapevine." That's all it means. It was printed in-house by AA's printing presses.

:lol: :lol:

I fixed it. Sorry. I was sleep typing. :wink:

Cool I understand the sleep typing thing. I probably don't share or type as often as I should because of it. After all my body does not know when to sleep. Heck my meditation suffers because of it.

The conference approved label really gets miss construed from time to time.

The whole reason the book 24 Hours a Day was not published by AAWS was the 12 and 12 and the second edition of the BB were in the works. As well as the changing of the guard. In other words they were too busy and the resources were low.

I read from the book 24 Hours a Day electronically daily, I guess I need to buy a copy. But it is one of those I want an old copy(pre '75). It will find me if it is supposed to.
DiggerinVA

Postby DiggerinVA » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Tim

PS Barefoot is always a good source for some wisdom. Those pages need to be preserved as they are IMHO.
DiggerinVA

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:38 pm

DiggerinVA wrote:[I read from the book 24 Hours a Day electronically daily, I guess I need to buy a copy. But it is one of those I want an old copy(pre '75). It will find me if it is supposed to.

What is the difference between the 1975 edition, which I own, and older editions?

Lots of used and out-of-print books can be found on Internet used bookseller web sites. I've found some older recovery books, like Chuck C's 'New Pair of Glasses', that way.
Tim

Postby DiggerinVA » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:10 pm

That is what I want to find out. Besides my 1st Big Book in a 1951 printing. Keep it in the family so to speak.

Oh I have found some post '75 which I will probably grab someday. The online stuff works for me today.
DiggerinVA

Postby Ranman99 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:10 pm

Thanks all I needed that. An update from my side and then the questions:

I'm 261 days today and get to share my story tonight at a hospital meeting so whoo hooo. Also according to the Gregorian Calander 45 years ago today at 7:55 in the morning I was born.

I read somthing I like a few weeks back. Do you know what 261 days of sobriety and 45 years alive on the planet gives you?

Answer: 261 days sobriety and 45 years alive on the planet!!!

Question

Dallas. Why a pre '75 copy???

Comment,

Barefoots site was another great site for me this time back. Did not realise he had passed until just a few months back. I was using that site while he was ill and I was days sober. I want forget that. Heard recordings of Barefoot Bill from the XA site and some of that was all right also!!!
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:20 pm

I don't understand the question. What's the question?
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:30 pm

Way before Bill Wilson got sober, and pre Oxford Group, and pre AA, there was a fellow named Richard Peabody that wrote a book titled "The Common Sense of Drinking." Peabody was affiliated with an organization operating a detox and rehab for alcoholics that was successfully treating alcoholics.... before AA or Oxford Group.

When you read "The Common Sense of Drinking" by Peabody, you'll recognize many familiar ideas, suggestions and philosophy that was nearly copied to the letter, in the writing of the first edition of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Some of the Pioneers of AA read Peabody's book also -- yet, they never talked much about it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics